The ongoing Elon Twitter saga: "insert demographic" melts down

Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Man, the early 2000's was amazing on the internet, it was wild and crazy and people were creative and people weren't scared of saying what they thought. It's the other way round now! Now I could share opinions in real life that I wouldn't dream of sharing on social media

I still see stuff that is just as disgusting to be honest, in terms of racism, harassment etc as those days. When you say wild west, do you mean getting away saying stuff in jest that would normally not offend people and not be taken as seriously compared with today?

Caporegime
I still see stuff that is just as disgusting to be honest, in terms of racism, harassment etc as those days. When you say wild west, do you mean getting away saying stuff in jest that would normally not offend people and not be taken as seriously compared with today?
is sucks still a swear word, I remember video games where you could talk to the enemy team in chat.... etc...

now the same games usually only let you speak to your own team and they have a huge listed of filtered words you can't use, often the name of the developer included incase someone says something bad about them.

online turned into nanny state

Soldato
is sucks still a swear word, I remember video games where you could talk to the enemy team in chat.... etc...

now the same games usually only let you speak to your own team and they have a huge listed of filtered words you can't use, often the name of the developer included incase someone says something bad about them.

online turned into nanny state

If sucks is now considered a swear word then my childhood watching The Simpsons must now be considered extremely offensive to a lot people today.

Permabanned
You can't even say Hell on a youtube video!

Yeah that's what I was meaning, if you want to be paid you can't say what you want.
Why do I feel i'm being "bullied" for voicing my opinions? :p
Why is GD under the threads moniker while SC is under the Community moniker?

Last edited:
Soldato
sucks was censored almost everywhere on the internet as if it was some hardcore profanity

It's pretty extreme to be honest, but I can see how it has been blacklisted. A quick google reveals why. This is why I hate what social media is doing to our culture, but I am not sure Elon Musk is the man that can fix that. I also don't see it purely as a one sided political thing either - I see it happening on both sides of the political spectrum in extreme ways. I am not sure how one man can fix that.

Soldato
I think the human race must be evolving into a genderless, classless, society where we all take pharmaceutical drugs to numb our emotions and our sexual desires to become obedient hardworking slave citizens. Think of the future of society as a mixture of the movie Equilibrium and the depicted genderless Grey alien encounters that have been reported over the years. I think we will be somewhere inbetween.

I'm joking by the way.

Soldato
I love what Musk is doing with SpaceX and Tesla but he shouldn't be anywhere near a social media company. He's far too unstable. Look at his own posts.

Says he's taking Tesla private at a certain price, he had no funding in place to make that happen, the price went up off his lies. Ends up in all kinds of trouble with the SEC and rightly so.

The children trapped in the caves in Thailand. He says he's invented a mini submarine. Keeps saying they should use it, The guy leading the rescue effort says it will never work and will just get stuck and make the situation worse, Musk loses his **** and calls him a pedo guy. He could have just donated some money to buy equipment etc but no he had to be the centre of it all.

Twitter is great. I use it to follow certain journalists, sports, science. music. Its a handy way to keep up to date with things. I get that it can be a toxic hellhole as well but just avoid those areas of it.

If Musk wants an anything goes social media platform then he should create one. It will just end up like Gab or Parlour, a toxic echo chamber that is only used by those people who want their views reinforced and won't make any money as who wants to advertise on such a site to such a small audience. If everyone wanted an anything goes social media platform there would be one and it would be bigger than Twitter. There isn't because they don't.

Soldato
I love what Musk is doing with SpaceX and Tesla but he shouldn't be anywhere near a social media company. He's far too unstable. Look at his own posts.

Says he's taking Tesla private at a certain price, he had no funding in place to make that happen, the price went up off his lies. Ends up in all kinds of trouble with the SEC and rightly so.

The children trapped in the caves in Thailand. He says he's invented a mini submarine. Keeps saying they should use it, The guy leading the rescue effort says it will never work and will just get stuck and make the situation worse, Musk loses his **** and calls him a pedo guy. He could have just donated some money to buy equipment etc but no he had to be the centre of it all.

Twitter is great. I use it to follow certain journalists, sports, science. music. Its a handy way to keep up to date with things. I get that it can be a toxic hellhole as well but just avoid those areas of it.

If Musk wants an anything goes social media platform then he should create one. It will just end up like Gab or Parlour, a toxic echo chamber that is only used by those people who want their views reinforced and won't make any money as who wants to advertise on such a site to such a small audience. If everyone wanted an anything goes social media platform there would be one and it would be bigger than Twitter. There isn't because they don't.

I agree to an extent. I also think it's possible his asperger's may also be affecting his social understanding. Sometimes, his tweets also read like he is high, but it's hard to tell because he can be quite a quirky guy in general.

Last edited:
Caporegime
He is setting up a pump and dump.
Musk cares about making money. Nothing else and certainly not free speech.

This is just nonsense, you don't understand what a pump and dump is.

Are "left wing media" in a melt down about it?

As I understand it he's probably going to be rather constrained by the deal he made with the SEC when he broke the law on insider trading or whatever it was he did a few years back (the main reason he couldn't be a member of Twitters board IIRC).

AFAIK there hasn't been any confirmation that he's broken insider trading laws?

Caporegime
Andrew Torba—the owner of Gab—is panicking. He has begged Musk to abandon Twitter and invest $2 billion in his own platform instead. He's offering equity, and a board position.

:D :D :D

As I understand it he's probably going to be rather constrained by the deal he made with the SEC when he broke the law on insider trading or whatever it was he did a few years back (the main reason he couldn't be a member of Twitters board IIRC).

He was charged with fraud after claiming he could take Tesla public at $420 per share. Musk tried to tough it out with his usual bluster, but the SEC quickly broke him, and he bowed the knee.

The Securities and Exchange Commission announced today that Elon Musk, CEO and Chairman of Silicon Valley-based Tesla Inc., has agreed to settle the securities fraud charge brought by the SEC against him last week. The SEC also today charged Tesla with failing to have required disclosure controls and procedures relating to Musk’s tweets, a charge that Tesla has agreed to settle.

The settlements, which are subject to court approval, will result in comprehensive corporate governance and other reforms at Tesla—including Musk’s removal as Chairman of the Tesla board—and the payment by Musk and Tesla of financial penalties.

...Musk and Tesla have agreed to settle the charges against them without admitting or denying the SEC’s allegations. Among other relief, the settlements require that:

* Musk will step down as Tesla’s Chairman and be replaced by an independent Chairman. Musk will be ineligible to be re-elected Chairman for three years;
* Tesla will appoint a total of two new independent directors to its board;
* Tesla will establish a new committee of independent directors and put in place additional controls and procedures to oversee Musk’s communications;
* Musk and Tesla will each pay a separate $20 million penalty. The $40 million in penalties will be distributed to harmed investors under a court-approved process.

(Source).

Last edited:
Soldato
Considering what a random cesspit twitter can be, I’d support Musk taking it over just on the basis he’s 100 times more libertarian than the incumbents.

I can’t argue with the premise, “if it isn’t illegal, then it should be allowed” and making things transparent.

I don’t even like Musk for his business practices (over hyping, under delivering), but better the devil you know…

Amazing how people can be easily manipulated via social media.
Wow, and there you have it, a Freudian slip up that is of no surprise as to how far twitter and the media are from free speech.

Caporegime
If anyone thinks Twitter is bad/heading in the wrong direction now, they are seriously misguided if they think it will get any better under the sole ownership of a greedy narcissistic billionaire.

Soldato
The implication there is that this isn't already the case. :cry:

It isn't remotely like Gab or Parlour. It has a wide range of viewpoints and journalists from both sides of the political spectrum as well as those that leave their politics at the door, as far more should.

Its not like Musk doesn't have strong political beliefs of his own. The last thing Twitter needs to be is the plaything of a narcissist who struggles to control his emotional response and who often thinks the rules don't apply to him.

Soldato
My biggest dislike of Twitter is that, as its has given pretty much "everyone" the opportunity to be heard, all it takes nowadays is one single voice of dissent to be heard for cultural changes to occur, not because what they are saying is right, but because other users are "scared" to voice an opposing view.

In my opinion fear is never the right catalyst for permanent change, all it generates is a thin veneer of compliance which hides a large bubbling pool of resentment.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom