employment advice

Associate
Hi

i am sure i am right on this but i just want to make sure. Work 9-5 office job. i am a bit of a poor timekeeper got a verbal and written warning, no complaints about that. prev 3 months only been late once by 1 minute. so big improvement.

They now tell me i need to signed in on my pc at 9.00 am meaning i need to swipe in at 854 to walk in and wait for Pc to load up.

my manager comes in over every morning at 9.00 am to see i have to sign to say im ready or late/.

was told today that as i have been getting there 856 most days and not fully signed in im not and they can take me to the next stage i.e final written warning.

Always understood long as i have swiped in and sitting at my desk for 9.00am there is nothing they can do.

also i have to care for my sick father every morning which they know about so i don't get a lot of time.

as in my work there happy i get nothing but praise.

Can they do anything or is them just being petty.

thanks for reading

Associate
OP
yeah i posted something similar that as the rules on lateness as there rules was 2 occasions in 28 days and they claimed working days.

just want advice can they penalise me or not for getting there at 856 everyday when its about 6 mins to walk in and log on?

Associate
just get to work 2 mins earlier. it 120 secs not that long.

but as an interesting debate, they will sack you and it would go to court and arguments would go on about whether being ready to work at 9am (as its normally written in a contract) includes logging in act of whether that would class as work and therefore can be undertaken after 9am.

but if you even wanted to see how that argument goes you will have to stump up a large amount of cash for legal costs etc.

Soldato
Me and someone at my work was discussing this. People should really have the computer loaded up and ready to start work at your start time.

On the other hand my work is VERY laid back. I can be 5 minutes late and it's not a problem, no warnings or what. I work 8:30-5 and I normally get in to work either bang on or just before 8:30. Computer takes about 10 minutes to get everything up and running what I need and I do some work but don't really start working a properly until 9.

But then we have people who arrive late, load up and log in on their computer but then go for a hot drink.

Just go with your works rules, it's better to be safe than to lose your job.

Soldato
Turn up three minutes late wielding a Mac10 ;)

Seriously though, why cant you just get to work 2 minutes earlier? :confused:

Also, why don't you just leave your computer on standby? Takes under 2 seconds to wake from sleep. I've only shut down my work PC twice since I started working there almost a year ago.

I cannot see how any employer can enforce a you must have your pc ready for action at your start time at all unless its specifically written in your contract.

When I worked at AXA we weer given 3 minutes a day to cover clocking in, so working hours were 6:57 per day. Although if on the top floor it could take 10 mins to get a lift at busy times, just unlucky if you were.

What if your PC hangs or is ultra slow to boot up. Any PC that requires more than 1 minute to boot these days should be updated, no need for anything to take 6 minutes.

I would say to them your fine with that as long as your PC is a current one well setup and configured so that it boots in under 2 minutes. Them providing tools that are not fit for purpose is not your problem.

Associate
yeah i posted something similar that as the rules on lateness as there rules was 2 occasions in 28 days and they claimed working days.

just want advice can they penalise me or not for getting there at 856 everyday when its about 6 mins to walk in and log on?

Maybe, maybe not, but given it's only a 120 seconds not to find out, why make a fuss. They are clearly hacked off over the previous lateness, so can't see any advantage in antagonising them unnecessarily...

Permabanned
Why not just get in 15 mins early like normal people do and stop moaning?

You will soon kick yourself when you get sacked because of the lateness and from how it reads, attitude about the disciplinary procedure.

Soldato
I had a job where a month down the line they told me I was expected to be logged in at 9am. It took 15 minutes to boot up the PC and load all the applications I needed.

A friend who was in charge of a Service desk would pay the staff the 15 minutes to get their PC ready. They are working so it's only fair.

My current job I have to swipe in when I am expected to start work, then walk to my desk, and then boot up my PC.

If you don't like the rules...get a new job. :D

Associate
OP
only account i have thought i would get some sound advice where i stood legally obviously i was wrong.

way i see it i am paid 9 till 5 i do that its a pathetic company to work for. Yes i no get another job, getting another job isn't easy at the min.

Back
Top Bottom