End of Season Review

Soldato
Team: Spurs

League Position: 2nd

Season High: Spurs putting 6 past Leicester and finishing the season strongly.

Season Low: Losing 4-2 against Chelsea in the FA Cup semi-final, they didn't take advantage of all the good possession in the second half prior to Conte bringing the big guns out.

Player of the Season: Dembele, he's a monster - especially when you consider that he played a great deal of the second half of the season injured.

Young Player of the Season: Considering most players I would consider are established in the first then I'd say Harry Winks, when brought on he slotted in so smoothly - especially when against Man City at the Etihad. The players themselves have said that he exerts a calming influence when on the pitch, helping to control the game.

Most Improved Player: Son, I thought he was very good last season but this season he has been immense. He can sometimes be a bit to selfish but I think that can be a good thing as the opposition have to be concerned about goals coming from any of our front 4.

Best Signing: Wanyama, the spaghetti loving god. He was exactly the type of player we needed, the only criticism is that he gives the ball away a fair bit with his passing but a lot of time that is due to him try to play a through ball rather than pass sideways.

Worst Signing:
Sissoko, although I do think he has been better than a lot of people give him credit for. He's got an awful first touch though.

Summary: Brilliant performances in the League and FA Cup (up until the semi-final), I'm gutted that this season has finished tbh.

Grade:
Domestically A-, D for Europe.

Expectations for Next Season:
Push for the title again, improving our points total and at least a cup final.

this pretty much sums up my feelings though the leicester win alone wasn't the season high. it was how we progressed as a team, played fantastic football and kane retaining the golden boot

Soldato
Team: Brentford

League Position: 10th

Season High: Enjoyed both thew comfortable home and away wins against QPR, although turning a half time 3-1 deficit into a 3-5 win away at Burton Albion was a lot of fun to watch.

Season Low: Taking 4 points off the bottom 3. Two seasons ago we hit the play-offs due to us tearing apart most sides below us, but struggling against those above. This has been flipped on its head, so my away trip to Wigan was a real low, as well as pathetic losses away at Preston (4-2) and Norwich (5-0) were tough to watch

Player of the Season: Harlee Dean. Captain this season, and really stepped up from a good player into an excellent Championship centre half. Honourable mentions for Ryan Woods (every team we played against singled him out as a top performer) and Jota (who returned for the second half of the season, scoring 12 from midfield).

Young Player of the Season: Probably Josh Clarke. Didn't have a normal trajectory into professional football, having not had the luxury of a proper academy coaching as a kid. His athleticism had played a bigger part than his technical and tactical abilities, but he properly stepped up into a valued first team player. Canos has a great second half of the season following his January signing, and Rico Henry played very well after he returned from a long injury.

Most Improved Player: Probably Josh Clarke - good performances last season, now a reliable Championship first team player.

Best Signing:
Daniel Bentley has stepped up from League Two to be amongst the best goalkeepers in the league. Destined for bigger things. Both Romaine Sayers and John Egan has good first seasons at this level.

Worst Signing:
Calum Elder joined on loan at the beginning of the season to fill a left back slot available due to injuries to others. He had a poor first few performances - understandable as it was always going to take time to adjust to this level - but then got injured himself and barely featured. Will likely improve over the next season or so wherever he goes on loan next. We didn't make any permanent dud signings this season, which is testament to our back room team.

Summary:
A very decent season indeed. Third season in a row we've had a bottom six budget, third season that we've finished in the top 10 - proof that whatever we're doing is working. We have a tight budget and have been sustained by fantastic player sales and Matthew Benham propping us up. We bought Gray, Hogan, Tarkowski and Odubajo for ~£2.4m and have received £27.5m in return, with add-ons still coming in. We had an iffy run earlier in the season which quite quickly put an end to any play-off hopes we might have had - these runs are quite typical of Dean Smith managed teams apparently - but we ended the season very strongly again. Fourth in the Goals For column indicates a lot of entertainment on show, particularly as we've sold out leading striker in each of the last two seasons. Don't think we've finished outside of the top 6 scoring sides in the division since we arrived 3 seasons ago.

Grade: B

If we're able to tighten up our defence then we'll have a good chance at troubling the play-offs (we outscored 3 or the 4 PO teams this season). If not, then a top 10 will do nicely. A couple of new grounds to visit next season - Stadium of Light being the most appealing - and a London derby returns (Millwall). Next season is probably going to rely on which players we're able to keep more than anything, with Jota, Dean and Colin all possible departures.

Caporegime
Team: Blackburn

League Position: EFL Championship 22nd (r)

Season High: The season high was that it ended.

Season Low: Being relegated.

Player of the Season: Tough one, no real stand outs. Ill go with Danny Graham.

Young Player of the Season: Sam Gallagher

Most Improved Player: None.

Best Signing:
Danny Graham.

Worst Signing:
Wes Brown.

Summary:
Probably better to not go into a summary, I value my forum account.

Grade: Z-

Attempt to survive as a club with the absolute **** houses Venkys seemingly unwilling to look to sell.

Soldato
Team: Sheffield United

League Position: EFL League One - (1st Champions)

Season High: Beating Bolton at home after Gary Madine ran his mouth about Billy Sharp/promotion confirmed away at Northampton/100 points

Season Low: Sticky start with 1 point from 12

Player of the Season: Billy Sharp - 30 goals

Most Improved Player: Chris Basham

Best Signing:
Jack O'Connell/John Fleck

Summary:
After sacking Nigel Adkins after a well below par 15/16 season, we brought in Blades fan and ex-ball boy, youth player, first team player from Northampton, Chris Wilder. Wilder had just won the L2 with Northampton but the lure of managing his club was too good to pass on.

The season starts poor with one draw and three losses before the Blades went on a 15 game unbeaten run before finally losing to Walsall. United again went on a 6 game winning streak before losing to Walsall again and Fleetwood Town on 24th January, the loss against Fleetwood would be the last time United would lose as they went on another 17 game unbeaten run which took them to the League One Championship with 100 points.

Grade: A*

I'm not expecting anything close to the success we had last season but at the same time I don't think we'll be relegation fodder either, survival is the key and I think we'll finish around 15th-20th

Soldato
Team: Arsenal

League Position: 5th

Season High: FA Cup Semifinal win over MC. Was a fairly decent game but beyond that was actually a great atmosphere, great day out. A welcome respite from the 'meh' atmosphere at the Emirates in the build up.

Season Low: Losing 3-0 to Palace.

Player of the Season: Alexis. Pretty obvious really, made a difference in several games.

Young Player of the Season: Difficult to say really. Based on what I've seen, probably Martinez who deputised well when called upon, but he didn't really play enough to warrant an award. Don't really want to give it to our best young player (Bellerin) by default as he dropped off a couple of times.

Most Improved Player: Gonna go for Gabriel but Alexis runs him close, just misses out because he was pretty good last season too. Considered Ox but it isn't so much that he's improved, just been utilised more.

Best Signing:
Rob Holding. Could be the long-term successor to Mertersacker, and gives options for playing 3 at the back.

Worst Signing:
Gnabry signing for Werder Bremen. He looked extremely good in preseason and is a much, much more exciting prospect than Iwobi who is basically just filling a shirt and offers very little.

Summary:
Time has finally caught up with Arsenal resulting in the lowest finish in over 20 years. Quite a strange season, unlike most years it never felt like we really hit top gear but equally there weren't many periods where I felt we were being massively unlucky with injuries or decisions.

Grade: F (but winning the FA Cup might push this to E-)

Depends a bit on who is manager. Generally speaking though I would expect similar i.e. to be challenging for European qualification and a decent cup run with the return of Cazorla and Wilshere.

Back
Top Bottom