Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

You can get well proportioned new builds that are on nice plots, you just pay a lot more for them. Its a reasonably simple calculation I imagine. If they can fit 10 £250k houses on a plot or 5 larger houses, those larger houses will be roughly twice the cost. There is more demand for lower priced houses and they probably get some sort of kickback from the government for building them.

Unfortunately the government allows all these massive companies to build absolute crap houses and get away with it so the quality is often appalling.

Searching suggests that it's still our responsibility to ensure it works correctly, and that they can then go off estimates. The thing that I want to be sure is that the estimates don't make it worse for us.
The ones responsible for the METER itself is your energy company, the standing charge is basically renting the meter as you don't own it.
You are only responsible for everything after the meter/switchboard, once the pipe/wiring gets into your home.
If you don't have a smart meter that will be your ONLY option to get a working meter.

Last edited:
Seen a UK builder on social media showing how they do insulation, and a bunch of people from other countries were pointing out its outdated practice they stopped decades ago that is known to cause mould. But the video of course might have been wrong, how are new builds done now days with insulation?

Seen a UK builder on social media showing how they do insulation, and a bunch of people from other countries were pointing out its outdated practice they stopped decades ago that is known to cause mould. But the video of course might have been wrong, how are new builds done now days with insulation?
Mostly with glass mineral wool still such as Knauf or Rockwool. You got the video. Would be interested to see.

This is basically the standard followed or you won't get the building signed of or insurance on the home.

Mostly with glass mineral wool still such as Knauf or Rockwool. You got the video. Would be interested to see.

This is basically the standard followed or you won't get the building signed of or insurance on the home.

Sadly I couldnt download it, but I will see if I can find a way to link to it here. Or at worst record it from a second phone so can then upload it manually, I did favourite it.

So my renewal is approaching (fixed until march)
What is the prediction with prices ? ie should I fix now or wait for a drop in prices that is pending ?

My renewal prices came through at 75p day and 64p night rate, I called EDF and they immedietly dropped it to 55p and 52p, but British Gas are still quoting a cheaper price.

So my renewal is approaching (fixed until march)
What is the prediction with prices ? ie should I fix now or wait for a drop in prices that is pending ?

My renewal prices came through at 75p day and 64p night rate, I called EDF and they immedietly dropped it to 55p and 52p, but British Gas are still quoting a cheaper price.

Just sit on the SVR it's £0.34/kwh for Electric and £0.10~ for Gas, at least until April.

After that both may go up but should still be a lot less than the £0.50+ prices you're being quoted at.

Fixing now doesn't make sense may as well sit on the gov cap pricing.

Just sit on the SVR it's £0.34/kwh for Electric and £0.10~ for Gas, at least until April.

After that both may go up but should still be a lot less than the £0.50+ prices you're being quoted at.

Fixing now doesn't make sense may as well sit on the gov cap pricing.
I should mention that this is for my small business premises.

EDF are quoting me £2.50 per day standing charge and 83p/74p if I go "out of contract"

Bulb bill in today for the last month

£623 for gas and electric..... Mental.

Comparing useage to last year over same month

Electric - 690kWh (2022) v 740 (2023) - Charged my car more at home over the last month, so overall useage not that different if I'm honest

Gas - 3131.7 (2022) v 3394 (2023) - again not much of a change in useage

Overall bill - £280.50 (2022) v £623 (2023) - Crazy - more than doubled last years over same month....

Electric - 690kWh (2022) v 740 (2023) - Charged my car more at home over the last month, so overall useage not that different if I'm honest

Overall bill - £280.50 (2022) v £623 (2023) - Crazy - more than doubled last years over same month....

Using more energy in 23 than 22 way to boss it ;)

I bet you have a gucci belt as well ;)

eh?

I was simply pointing out that for a 10% increase in useage, I'm nearly 150% up in costs.
Were you not expecting this though? Seems fairly well trodden than costs have gone through the roof which is why people have actively tried to reduce to mitigate the costs.

Painful though, rather you than me (in the nicest possible way:))

electric car charging tho...... given a choice i would still rather have an electric car that i could charge at home rather than a slightly lower electricty bill and having to buy liquid dinosaur ;)

As an aside The current news about how electric cars are now more expesnive to charge really cheese me off.

yes public chargers may be more expensive and if i could not charge at home i would definitely rethink going electric............ but those of us who can charge at home, which is all of the electric car owners i know, its still much cheaper than buying petrol/diesel and hopefully even the public charging price hike is a blip.......... but unfortunately that does not fit the narrative of much of the gutter press which have been trying to dump on electric cars since the get go.

Last edited:

Big house or just living in a barn?

Were you not expecting this though? Seems fairly well trodden than costs have gone through the roof which is why people have actively tried to reduce to mitigate the costs.

Painful though, rather you than me (in the nicest possible way:))

yes - I was expecting it - But still crazy to think my gas/electric is more a month now than my mortgage payments! wild times

Back
Top Bottom