Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

What is going on with octopus ? I submit meter readings end of.the month , Im a single person using hardly any energy? Last month's billing was ok and the month before , I was £44 in credit in mid August, submitted my meter reading on 31st aug. no change in gas from last month, low electric. On the 31st aug after meter rereading they took payment, fine , in Im in credit still, logged on today when my direct debit goes in and now I'm in debit ?

Has there been a big surge in cost this month or something ? Why did they charge me twice ? They are only supposed to charge you when you submit readings

Time for a smart meter I think
are you sure your DD payment went in? mine always goes in on the 1st but didn't today (maybe because of the BH)

At this rate they'll end up the biggest supplier lol. I shall be seriously looking at them when my fix is up next March.
They've been great so it's not a surprise if they end up a big supplier (although that's mostly with buy outs). The only slight improvements would be the billing schedule as on Octopus Tracker I sometimes have gotten refunded and recharged at a later date, and I have no idea why. However it's still great that they offer such a tariff during these times where everything else is rubbish.

are you sure your DD payment went in? mine always goes in on the 1st but didn't today (maybe because of the BH)

They took a payment on 1st sept on my Lloyds account. so yep the DD is working

As soon as I submitted my meter reading on 31st aug my balance went from £44 credit which I had all of aug, down to about £7 then the DD payment should have topped it back up again.

I'll call them tomorrow at some point if there open, It maybe a delay on their website or something. I'm going to ask about smart meter install at the same time

Last edited:

As soon as I submitted my meter reading on 31st aug my balance went from £44 credit which I had all of aug, down to about £7 then the DD payment should have topped it back up again.

I'll call them tomorrow at some point if there open, It maybe a delay on their website or something. I'm going to ask about smart meter install at the same time
Doesn't it show you the deductions and usage on the balance history page?

It takes a few days for the DD to show on your account - mine comes out on the 11th but doesn't update my balance until about 3 days later. Give it a few days.

WOW what a difference!!

OLD

old.jpg

old0.jpg

NEW

new.jpg

I've really been struggling to keep warm year in year out, paying more electric than my family home! 5 years I've been fighting to get these changed and last week it was done. The entire house was renovated with new heating, as one was a fire hazard ( Bathroom ), and the others didn't work (Flap open). Already a huge difference as I turned on one to see how much I was using and I woke up to £3 usage with ECO 7 instead of £8 per heater. Plus two days in and there's still some warmth in the blocks with it turned off. A far cry to instant heat loss and running up bills of £12 by 8am in the morning. Will be interesting to see how they fair during the winter!

WOW what a difference!!

OLD

NEW

I've really been struggling to keep warm year in year out, paying more electric than my family home! 5 years I've been fighting to get these changed and last week it was done. The entire house was renovated with new heating, as one was a fire hazard ( Bathroom ), and the others didn't work (Flap open). Already a huge difference as I turned on one to see how much I was using and I woke up to £3 usage with ECO 7 instead of £8 per heater. Plus two days in and there's still some warmth in the blocks with it turned off. A far cry to instant heat loss and running up bills of £12 by 8am in the morning. Will be interesting to see how they fair during the winter!
What's the make and model of the new heater?

I know somebody who spends a small fortune keeping their small bungalow warm with those old Dimplex heaters. But what else can they do, other than freeze? :(

Last edited:
What's the make and model of the new heater?

I know somebody who spends a small fortune keeping their small bungalow warm with those old Dimplex heaters. But what else can they do, other than freeze? :(

I feel their pain :( :(

I've had to fight for many years to get these changed, they are NOT fit for purpose

2 Storage Heaters replaced with 2 ECOHHR high heat retention storage heaters ( Bedroom/Living Room )
1 Storage Heater removed ( Living Room )
1 Storage Heater replaced with a Electric Towel Rail as the Storage Heater was a fire hazard in the bathroom
1 Storage Heater in kitchen replaced with a Panel Heater
1 new Panel Heater in hallway

Because the Storage Heaters are so efficient, they've added extra Panel Heaters just incase I ever needed that quick boost of energy now either on or off peak. Same with the towel rail which only uses about 20p per hour and it's mainly for just having a quick blast of heat for bath/shower :D

I used to live in a place with those old dimplex units... Boiling hot in the morning and cold by evening. Utter crap :(

You're better shot of them as you just found out

I turned on one Storage Heater as a test Wednesday night, woke up used £3.20 and it was toasty with a setting of 21C. Turned it off, and now it's Saturday there's still some warmth left! Very expensive £8-13 by morning Old Storage Heaters, the heat would've been gone by the evening, as you just said. I did argue the toss with people though with them saying I probably set it wrong. Utter BS, as the flap was **** stuck open ( all the heat out ), and the element/bricks were made in the 1960s ffs ( Input/Output )

Last edited:
I feel their pain :( :(

I've had to fight for many years to get these changed, they are NOT fit for purpose

2 Storage Heaters replaced with 2 ECOHHR high heat retention storage heaters ( Bedroom/Living Room )
1 Storage Heater removed ( Living Room )
1 Storage Heater replaced with a Electric Towel Rail as the Storage Heater was a fire hazard in the bathroom
1 Storage Heater in kitchen replaced with a Panel Heater
1 new Panel Heater in hallway

Because the Storage Heaters are so efficient, they've added extra Panel Heaters just incase I ever needed that quick boost of energy now either on or off peak. Same with the towel rail which only uses about 20p per hour and it's mainly for just having a quick blast of heat for bath/shower :D
Like yourself, they have hounded the housing association about the replacement of the heaters, with them promising to replace them later only to cancel. Laughably the housing association ripped out a perfectly fit kitchen and replaced it with a new one - they certainly know how to waste money.

Last edited:
Like yourself, they have hounded the housing association about the replacement of the heaters, with them promising to replace them later only to cancel. Laughably the housing association ripped out a perfectly fit kitchen and replaced it with a new one - they certainly know how to waste money.

They need to get in touch with the Resident Liaison Officer, as that was the ONLY way I got things moving..

Which was then referred to the repairs surveyor and compliance team.

Again I've done my fair share of hounding, but this was the only way I got things moving :(

If you are stuck with storage heaters, the next best solution is a split AC system, super efficient on heating (approx 1/4 the running costs).

Sure it costs more to install but they are cheaper over the life of the units and you don’t have to worry about over or under ‘charging’ the storage rads. Plus you get cooling in the hot summers!

A modern split AC can also heat a hot water cylinder and single loft mounted unit can do the entire upstairs so you don’t necessarily need visible wall mounted units in all rooms.

Just realised I finally have a full year's worth of gas usage at our "new" house. We used almost exactly 6000kWh of gas between us. I'd budgeted the first year on 8000kWh so combining that with the fact I "banked" all the government help means I can drop our direct debit even further :) that usage is for 2 people in a 3-bed detached house, 2017-build so well insulated, and reasonably liberal use of heating but only set to 19C. I think I can push the boat out this winter and set it to 19.5C :D

Me too and I was already looking at jumping from Shell to them anyway.

I'm guessing Octopus will also use SMS for smart meter installs in the South West :(
I jumped from Shell to Octopus and couldn't be happier - mainly due to the Tracker tariff so been paying under half the cap rate for last few months.

Pretty happy with Octopus too, moved a couple of months back. Bills are slow, I have to ask them to do it, but the prices on the agile are great and i get a great 15p for my feed in.

My move to Octopus has been full of issues. Joined them from British Gas almost a year ago and had non stop issues with them and they've only just gotten around to fixing them. In less than a year they've came out and replaced the gas and electric meters 4 times in total.

Back
Top Bottom