Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Lol its just an evening temp setting of well if it really does get that cold, we probably do want it on!

Whilst I forget that the other half will leave the patio doors open for the cat.
Do you have it set to come on over night if it drops below 17? I’ve never really understood people running the heating when they are in bed just uses winter duvet!

Do you have it set to come on over night if it drops below 17? I’ve never really understood people running the heating when they are in bed just uses winter duvet!
We set our "off" temperature to 16C. Even when it was -6C overnight last winter it never kicked in.

We're:
0600-0715: 19C // 0715-1600: 16C // 1600-2100: 19C // 2100: 16C (Weekday)
0700-0900: 19C // 0900-1500: 16C // 1500-2200: 19C // 2200: 16C (Weekend)

We set our "off" temperature to 16C. Even when it was -6C overnight last winter it never kicked in.

We're:
0600-0715: 19C // 0715-1600: 16C // 1600-2100: 19C // 2100: 16C (Weekday)
0700-0900: 19C // 0900-1500: 16C // 1500-2200: 19C // 2200: 16C (Weekend)

I used to do similar
I changed as we found that spring/autumn you could quite often get that low very early morning that fell to say 14, but that would quickly go up once the sun was out. heating to say 17 and then end up hitting 20 by mid morning seemed daft!

To reduce the risk of energy firms going bust, or leaving the market as a result of unrecoverable debt, Ofgem said it is consulting on whether to add a one-off adjustment to the price cap it sets.

An analysis by the regulator showed this could result in a temporary rise in consumer bills of up to 17 pounds a year, or around 1.50 pounds a month, on average.

This was weighed against the risk of customers facing even higher costs and poorer standards of service if suppliers went out of business as witnessed during the 2021 energy crisis, when around 30 suppliers went out of business, Ofgem added.

Hilarious isn't it. Instead of letting poorly run companies fail and the debt written off and soaked up by the investors / share-holders (in some instances, foreign entities); let the wider UK public household energy customers prop it up. Privatisation really has done a number within the utilities sector of the UK (especially England). Utter scam.

It's great owning a company that probably should be public.

Because you have a captive customer base just tap the for more because they have become too indebted. What's SSEs dividend again? :D

Today is first day I flipped my study room from off to auto. It's always the first room in the house to go on.

It was 17 this morning and I have it on 21c during work hours. Feels much nicer now.
Looks like by the weekend the entire house will be on winter mode settings

Last edited:
Seems fair

/s

Edit: isn’t this just the obvious consequence of energy companies from being prevented from installing pre-payment meters in home that are just building more and more debt?

Last edited:
I've noticed the gas and electric princes have shot up in the last few days for those of us on the tracker.
Capture.png

I wonder if its to do with the Israeli war? As long as it doesn't go over the red line for more than a week I'll stick to it.

I'm sorry but why do we as a customer base have to foot the possible bill for a company that could mayhaps possibly go bust?

If they dont go bust do we get a refund? :p

Utterly ridiculous article 2.6Bn of energy debt... lets increase costs, what logic is this?

This country really is getting royally ****** over from all directions

I'm sorry but why do we as a customer base have to foot the possible bill for a company that could mayhaps possibly go bust?

If they dont go bust do we get a refund? :p

Utterly ridiculous article 2.6Bn of energy debt... lets increase costs, what logic is this?

This country really is getting royally ****** over from all directions
I imagine we'd be paying them back this debt and they'd still be chasing the debt from the people who owe it as well.

I imagine we'd be paying them back this debt and they'd still be chasing the debt from the people who owe it as well.
There will be double, triple and quadruple dipping as well with creative ways to offset this "debt" against operating profits, green initiatives and investment to further reduce their tax liabilities.

If OFGEM enacted their proposed policy of ring-fencing customer credit balances then it would be less relevant if poorly run companies went bust. The issue is, they backed down on that one so, when companies go bust, its the public that need to bail out the customer's balances :(

Back
Top Bottom