Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Power Ups for those who are able to get it/check your emails! - Mine is for 1-.4.30. So turn up all your heating etc during that time.

Hi Neil,

We'll make your electricity free at TN25 between 1:00 PM - 4:30 PM on Saturday 20/01/24. Get ready to Power up!

Opt me in
What do I need to do during a Power-up?

During the Power-up, there’ll be plenty of green electrons in your local wires. We want you to make the most of that lovely sun and wind power while it’s abundant.

Plan to use as much electricity as you need during that time: it’s a perfect time to do the hoovering, run the dishwasher or washing machine, run your heat pump or immersion heater, charge up, make dinner, you name it. It’s your responsibility to use electricity safely at home.

How will I get my free electricity?

We’ll use your smart meter readings to work out how much electricity you used during each Power-up. Every few weeks, we’ll credit your account to cover the cost of the electricity you used in Power-ups.

Your actual bills and charges will all come out as normal.

On Prepay? Make sure you've topped up enough so you don't run out of credit during a Power-up. (We'll credit you the value of your free electricity within 2 weeks of each Power-ups.)

just had my first tracker bill, not quite a month, cant believe how much cheaper electricity rates are
2024-01-23-20-00-31-NVIDIA-Ge-Force-Overlay.png

Last edited:
What are the logical/financial reasons to NOT be on a tracker again? I've lost track - why is it not just the default recommendation for everybody?
It can take 30 days to move off the tariff, and prices are capped at £1/kw.

If there is an unexpected massive wholesale cost increase, those on tracker are exposed.

Agile is negative tonight. But pretty rare. With load shifting it is about the same/slightly lower than tracker. But obviously you have to avoid the peak times ideally. In December some days were hitting 60p peak. But then over Xmas there was lots of negative. Ideal for an Ev

Edit : average in dec was 16.8p/kWh

Last edited:
just had my first tracker bill, not quite a month, cant believe how much cheaper electricity rates are
That's crazy. If you can take the risk it seems like a no brainer.

And tbh even if it did jump for a month you'd still be in profit.

I'm paying 22p on my 2021 fix.. And every day of yours is still lower.
I expect your standing charge is higher.. But still... When the price cap is what it is, this is a slam dunk good move.

Last edited:
That's crazy. If you can take the risk it seems like a no brainer.

And tbh even if it did jump for a month you'd still be in profit.

I'm paying 22p on my 2021 fix.. And every day of yours is still lower.
I expect your standing charge is higher.. But still... When the price cap is what it is, this is a slam dunk good move.
Yeah 49p per day not great but compensated by lower rate I guess

I was sore when I was evicted from my rental place (that had electric only with storage heaters) in late 2022. Had a three year energy contract from Sep 2021 - Sep 2024 at these rates:

EtdFvQR.png

That worked out at about £60 pm.

That deal was pure gold as the energy market madness hit, with speculation the price cap was going to £5k per year (and escalating IIRC).

Now I've moved to a bigger place with gas, I'm paying £80 pm combined on the OFGEM price cap. I'm guessing half the difference is on standing charge.

Big scare dodged, and now the whole thing is retrospectively a bit of a nothing-burger.

Agile is negative tonight. But pretty rare. With load shifting it is about the same/slightly lower than tracker. But obviously you have to avoid the peak times ideally. In December some days were hitting 60p peak. But then over Xmas there was lots of negative. Ideal for an Ev

Edit : average in dec was 16.8p/kWh
Agile is better for those with batteries.

I'm paying consistently less with Octopus Tracker, just had smart meters fitted so I can track it even more so via their app.

Unless we see a ridiculous hike, I can't see coming off this any time soon.

Octopus intelligent user here, my average import was 18p.

Since getting batteries, it’s been 8p-10p. Early days still but once the sun kicks in, our export payments will be higher than our import costs.

Have to say that going onto Octopus tracker last summer has worked out very well in hindsight. My bill this month was £160, same as what I pay DD - on the standard price cap it would have been close to double that. Ive actually been able to withdraw some of my credit balance.

That’s the point that when wholesale is @ 6p/kwh and the cap is at 5x that, you got to ask the question what is OFGEM doing and who they REALLY look after. They talking about offloading debtors loss incurred by supplier to paying consumers by raising either unit rate or standing charge.

it’s like the energy suppliers aren’t allowed to make a loss anymore even if they are wasteful and paying their execs £4mil in wages.

Last edited:
Ofgem set the cap. Suppliers aren’t allowed to charge more than the cap but they are allowed to reduce prices below it. So if prices are high then it’s down to the suppliers not Ofgem. The cap is there to prevent suppliers from charging excessive amounts once a customer comes off a fixed contract - nothing more nothing less.

Energy suppliers are not your friends. If they’re charging too much, change supplier and tariff to someone cheaper which at the moment appears to be the Octopus Tracker

Back
Top Bottom