Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I've gotta say, having heating on 18 from 0600-2100 has been a game changer for me. It isn't cold enough to be cold, and it isn't warm enough to be annoyed. My brain cycles have been freed up infinitely, and it is costing about the same (maybe even less) than ******* around turning it on and off.

I've gotta say, having heating on 18 from 0600-2100 has been a game changer for me. It isn't cold enough to be cold, and it isn't warm enough to be annoyed. My brain cycles have been freed up infinitely, and it is costing about the same (maybe even less) than ******* around turning it on and off.

The key is how well insulated your house is.

We went proper hot the other day as currently have an ill cat (female excuse, not my plan!)
Considering it was on 21 in the coldest room of the house, and over time was getting considerably warmer upstairs as the day ticked by, using something around 59kwh, including water wasnt that bad. It was practically zero outside all day.

If you keep cooling down and warming up your probably running the boiler harder rather and less efficiently than ticking over far more regularly.

I know my heating will use around 20kwh in an hour if its adding more than about 5-6c since it will basically run close to flat out for a good chunk of that hour.

Quietly happy I’m not there but also concerned how low the temp on our house is dropping as we’re away on holiday. Down to 7c downstairs now! I think frost protection kicks in at 5c so the energy savings might not be as great as I’m hoping

Is anybody else with EDF and received several bills this month? I've had about 6 emails from EDF this month telling me that my energy statement is ready. When I look at my account history, I'm only billed for a few days at a time. They also appear to be billing me separately for gas and electric and they email me for each one.
Yes, they seem to have just started doing that. It's like a weekly bill lol.
I shall probably be leaving them at the end of April as my cheap 3 year deal is up (sob) so I will most likely be off to Octopus.

We've used 496KWH of electric this week costing us £110 (and still 2 hours to go)

Does that seem completely crazy for 2 adults and 2 kids in an electric only 3 bed semi on economy 7 with storage heaters, or is that borderline understandable? Its a 70s build so not so great insulation etc.
£25 last week for 4 bed detached 2ad 2ch, gas heating on constant 19c. If you haven't already look into Octopus Tracker it's saved me a fortune over the last year

Quietly happy I’m not there but also concerned how low the temp on our house is dropping as we’re away on holiday. Down to 7c downstairs now! I think frost protection kicks in at 5c so the energy savings might not be as great as I’m hoping

Even when in away mode I have to have the rooms about 14+ due to my plants.

I try to pile them all into two rooms so I only need to heat those. Fine in summer, but over Christmas heating bill isn't much better

Depends if you like certainty but look into Octopus Tracker, paying 16p/kWh today electric, on British Gas you'll be paying 30p/kWh. I've not seen tracker as high as 30p in over a year

How is yours 16p? Midlands both east and west is showing 18p on the gas tracker website for electricity.

I’m West Midlands and showing as 18.86p for me on Octopus tracker

Last edited:
Even when in away mode I have to have the rooms about 14+ due to my plants.

I try to pile them all into two rooms so I only need to heat those. Fine in summer, but over Christmas heating bill isn't much better
Oof - house is full of plants but was hoping they’ll be ok as long as it’s not near zero

How is yours 16p? Midlands both east and west is showing 18p on the gas tracker website for electricity.

I’m West Midlands and showing as 18.86p for me on Octopus tracker

16.88p for electric and 3.87p for gas.

I was expecting gas to go up with demand but its come down, wind generation must be up.

Last edited:
Reactions: TNA
69% of UK electric is produced from burning gas and we refuse to allow more production, so it is about Wind solar whatever alternatives. Most of the nuclear power went offline, end of decade before the decline in that resource is turned around. They are twenty years too late on actual action, either use the UK gas or something. 12c for house of commons thermostat till they decide better, I want to see them lined up in woolies like the pensioners they hurt most

69% of UK electric is produced from burning gas and we refuse to allow more production, so it is about Wind solar whatever alternatives. Most of the nuclear power went offline, end of decade before the decline in that resource is turned around. They are twenty years too late on actual action, either use the UK gas or something. 12c for house of commons thermostat till they decide better, I want to see them lined up in woolies like the pensioners they hurt most

Pretty much nonsense, sorry

"As a result, fossil fuels made up just 33% of UK electricity supplies in 2023 – their lowest ever share – of which gas was 31%, coal just over 1% and oil just below 1%. Low-carbon sources made up 56% of the total, of which renewables were 43% and nuclear 13%."

Yes, they seem to have just started doing that. It's like a weekly bill lol.
I shall probably be leaving them at the end of April as my cheap 3 year deal is up (sob) so I will most likely be off to Octopus.
I'm glad it's not just me then. They told me the frequency of bills was to do with when I raised the issue of my smart gas meter not sending readings to them, but they should reduce to one a month now. We'll see.

Back
Top Bottom