Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

I know this isn't energy related as such but, we've had more sewage warnings here in the SW, meanwhile south west water are jacking up our already expensive water rates even further (currently about 30% higher than the rest of the country).

Isn't it their job to clean the water before it reaches the ocean/our beaches, isn't that what half of my bill literally pays for (sewage and water run off) yet they aren't doing it, but hey profits are at an all time high.

Last edited:
Tell me what is there to do to have a meter sitting there in a property?

Operational cost is in the margins

For £7.3bil a year that’s 243,000 employees at a wage of £30k/year.

Clearly the combined industry employees by the operators in UK industry is not even close to that 243,000 people. So it is pretty fair to say they are doing bugger all with that revenue other than pure profit.
So you think the grid doesn't need maintenance and upgrading? I can tell you have no idea even what the SC covers and are just spouting nonsense.

So you think the grid doesn't need maintenance and upgrading? I can tell you have no idea even what the SC covers and are just spouting nonsense.
Doesn’t our unit price already have 25% network cost built in?

It’s interesting you think that 7.3bil a year is going into grid not the pockets of CEO and shareholders of energy companies.

Martin Lewis has been saying for years that standing charge should be abolished and people needs to pay for what they use not being penalised for not using much of anything.

You keep on calling me spewing nonsense. Let’s see time you can back up anything with stats and data then. Other than biased opinions? Maybe

business-electricity-costs-1.png

Last edited:
Doesn’t our unit price already have 25% network cost built in?

It’s interesting you think that 7.3bil a year is going into grid not the pockets of CEO and shareholders of energy companies.

Martin Lewis has been saying for years that standing charge should be abolished and people needs to pay for what they use not being penalised for not using much of anything.

You keep on calling me spewing nonsense. Let’s see time you can back up anything with stats and data then. Other than biased opinions? Maybe

business-electricity-costs-1.png
Martin Lewis since you quoted him has a breakdown of the SC on his website, profit is like 1.5%.

It isn't going to 'CEOs and shareholders' that is demonstrably false. Lewis wants the SC changes because its punitive to low users or people cutting back, especially now it is much higher. The costs will still have to funded either through taxation or the unit price.

Last edited:
It isn't going to 'CEOs and shareholders' that is demonstrably false.
Hilariously funny post :cry:

16 Nov 2023 — standing charge to unit rate would, considering the market as a whole, increase the revenues suppliers can make under the price cap.
(ofgem website quote)

Increased revenue with increased profit margin means more profit and more money into the pockets of shareholders and execs.

If you can’t understand that simple paradigm then maybe you need a few more cells in the upstairs department.

Last edited:
Hilariously funny post :cry:

16 Nov 2023 — standing charge to unit rate would, considering the market as a whole, increase the revenues suppliers can make under the price cap.
(ofgem website quote)

Increased revenue with increased profit margin means more profit and more money into the pockets of shareholders and execs.

If you can’t understand that simple paradigm then maybe you need a few more cells in the upstairs department.
I don't think you understand what you just posted.

Octopus has managed to communicate with the smart meters, even though they are smets gen 1 e470/g370 on the trilliant comms.

Tracker all set up and now on a much nicer looking tariff. Now I just need some solar panels and a battery as the next step.

Last edited:
Moving into my house on Friday. Never done this before as always shared.

Is Octopus the way to go? I don't actually need gas straight away, so was just gonna leave it till later in the year. Or should I jump onboard for both?

Thanks.

Moving into my house on Friday. Never done this before as always shared.

Is Octopus the way to go? I don't actually need gas straight away, so was just gonna leave it till later in the year. Or should I jump onboard for both?

Thanks.
Generally speaking Octopus Tracker is the cheapest way to go right now as long as your okay with a fluctuating unit rate (you join on flexible first then they have a webpage to switch to tracker). Although it's been the cheapest tariff for a long time now by a massive margin. If you have electric car though it's a different story!

Yesterday electric was 10p per unit! good time to get the washing on haha

Here a website to look at your regions rates (Change the drop down) and there is a graph to show historical rates to show how cheap it is compared to normal.

Screenshot-20240325-175715-Chrome.png

dotted lines are the average price cap (octopus flexible tariff but it's the same as everyone else as its capped)

Remember a refferal for £50 credit!

Last edited:
pulled 80 kWh of electricity from the grid on Saturday and Sunday on Agile - cost me 78p for all of that. If you have solar and batteries agile is definately the way to go. Once I add in my export for those couple of days then I actually got paid a little overall.

Surge pricing her we come.

I always thought the regulators have the best interests of the companies they regulate. I just don't see them working in the interest of people. I've come to the conclusion they are there to justify that it not being manipulated by companies. To say oh not we are independent to justify the legality in the public eyes

I think a lot to do with this is that the government hasn't got an energy policy and they know darn well that they just aren't going to have enough electricity to go round in future, so they are pushing any scheme that makes what they have got go further.

It was always suspected that different charge rates was the real reason they wanted smart-meters, that together with not requiring so many feet on the ground to read them. Their excuse of "it will help customers save energy" was just absolutely ridiculous.

Last edited:

I always thought the regulators have the best interests of the companies they regulate. I just don't see them working in the interest of people. I've come to the conclusion they are there to justify that it not being manipulated by companies. To say oh not we are independent to justify the legality in the public eyes

Actually a fixed price for all keeps prices higher not lower. Energy is usually only expensive for 3 hours a day... but you pay a higher price the other 21hours to subsidise that. So tin foil off, the potential here is for saving money not costing you more.

I think a lot to do with this is that the government hasn't got an energy policy and they know darn well that they just aren't going to have enough electricity to go round in future, so they are pushing any scheme that makes what they have got go further.

It was always suspected that different charge rates was the real reason they wanted smart-meters, that together with not requiring so many feet on the ground to read them. Their excuse of "it will help customers save energy" was just absolutely ridiculous.

That's because they can't be arsed to do the right thing, which is to get the country to reduce their consumption. It's much easier for them just to throw money at things like heat pumps and tick a box than actually deal with the problem. If anyone is interested enough to read about it, this Danfoss white paper is very interesting:

Actually a fixed price for all keeps prices higher not lower. Energy is usually only expensive for 3 hours a day... but you pay a higher price the other 21hours to subsidise that. So tin foil off, the potential here is for saving money not costing you more.

While I completely agree with what you are saying, somehow, I doubt that will be how it works out. :rolleyes:

Back
Top Bottom