Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

They would only allow me to put my DD up on the website not down, they wanted me to call them if I wanted to adjust it downwards, I just thought **** that and gave it a shot and hey presto it worked! :D

Cheers, might give it a pop then. Have Ovo Energy queried your ahem......'adjustment' since you did it? Can I ask if you are on one of their fixed rate deals?

So gas prices are down by 22% today, going to assume we won't be seeing any associated drop in what we pay.
22% off the wholesale gas price today means you’ll still be paying a lot more than the price cap!! Come back when it’s drops again by about 60%

51994876980_f931de6572_c.jpg

Cheers, might give it a pop then. Have Ovo Energy queried your ahem......'adjustment' since you did it? Can I ask if you are on one of their fixed rate deals?

No, I've actually adjusted it a couple more times the exact same way as my electricity use has come down.

Yes I am on their 2 year fixed deal until Nov 23.

You can pay quarterly, just tell them that's what you want to do. My parents have always paid this way. Too many let the supplier dictate the patent terms, it's not how it works, withhold payment until they set it up the way you want.

Pretty sure a big part of the DD agreement is that both parties agree to it, so if the payment isn't what you agree to cancel it phone them up and agree a new one.
I'll have to check the OVO T&C but when it was SSE there is a discount for paperless billing (and dual fuel) which you don't get if you have a quarterly paper bill and pay by cheque or similar.

22% off the wholesale gas price today means you’ll still be paying a lot more than the price cap!! Come back when it’s drops again by about 60%

the 'companies' aren't necessarily paying the market rate though - if they previously negotiated a lower rate , we are in the time window where prices may have been negotiated before the war was likely, not true come october
you can probably find out what percentage of the daily consumption was pre-negotiated versus the segment subjected to the todays market price.

On the electricity side how well does octopuis agile track wholesale rate - any difference must be indicative of pre-negotiated energy they want to dispose of at lower/higher rate.

Yeh it's a balancing act from thier perspective, as long as the cash from subs keeps rolling in, I doubt they will care too much. If people start cancelling subs (and a lot will if they cant share) then that will impact the bottom line revenue, so they would have to do the maths on that - I suspect they turn a blind eye as they have already done the maths :D

Similar scenario when people used to use VPNs to get access to other countries catalogues of content. I seem to recall years ago that the content available to Australia was about 25% of that of the US and they were expecting to pay the same subscription fee. I believe a lot of license holders kicked off and Netflix had to start clamping down on it again.

The easiest way to get around account sharing is to run a VPN at home that your relatives would connect to before launching Netflix. Assuming connection speeds are quick enough.

I’m with British Gas with a smart meter and on their standard variable. I’m sat here looking at the smart meter and it says I’m using 0.254kw or 7p an hour for electricity. Does that sound right? Currently sat here with no tv on or lights on. It seems this is my base usage from standby usage plus fridge etc. I’m trying to gauge whether this is normal? I have four bed house with lots of smart tech, whole house uses Philips Hue, those bulbs are always ‘on’.

Is there any reason to doubt it?

230w base load is a fair amount considering that’s with nothing really running.

That’s 5.5kwh/day for not a lot. I imagine if you unplugged all your smart tech and unnecessary devices, it would half that. It’s up to you if that’s worth it or not.

If you do not have a socket meter, the benefit of having the smart meter is you can normally use the IHD (or meter itself if your lucky) to indicate what appliances are consuming what load. You would be surprised how much a fridge and freezer use considering they are on round the clock. You need to go round the house and start managing just to isolate any unnecessary devices. Nowadays you also have a lot of units that are on all the time like broadband routers, access points. Generally they do not consume a lot though. However if you have a large family with tons of transformers charging on all the sockets I would imagine it would creep up the wattage.

Back
Top Bottom