Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

So now I have smart meters I know how much units my boiler is consuming with just pilot light.

I dont use that much gas, I have just calculated my gas usage is actually only about 20% of my gas bill, the rest is standing charge and pilot light usage. If I add my actual usage its slightly more expensive than if I used my immersion heater instead, which is crazy.

So I think if in October gas rises more than electric again which I think it will, then its probably profitable for me to disconnect my gas boiler.

... obviously hasn't just finished a fix rate contract ? I'm sure that can create significant energy price shock

-----
netflix more expensive because ? ... well people watch more hours of it than prime/apple/d+,
(e: a cheaper netflix or disney contract for ... maybe 5 hours a week would be fine)

52017475036_3242a58d08_z_d.jpg

... the truth about 16-34's live tv/utube/svod habit

So now I have smart meters I know how much units my boiler is consuming with just pilot light.

I dont use that much gas, I have just calculated my gas usage is actually only about 20% of my gas bill, the rest is standing charge and pilot light usage. If I add my actual usage its slightly more expensive than if I used my immersion heater instead, which is crazy.

So I think if in October gas rises more than electric again which I think it will, then its probably profitable for me to disconnect my gas boiler.

Make sure you're using the right numbers to calculate costs before doing that. Gas meters usually read in cubic metres but gas is charged in kWh so you need to do a conversion if you're just looking at the meter reading.

... obviously hasn't just finished a fix rate contract ? I'm sure that can create significant energy price shock

-----
netflix more expensive because ? ... well people watch more hours of it than prime/apple/d+,
(e: a cheaper netflix or disney contract for ... maybe 5 hours a week would be fine)

52017475036_3242a58d08_z_d.jpg

... the truth about 16-34's live tv/utube/svod habit

In fairness comparing Q1 2021 Netflix vs other services for Disney+ is a bit off considering age of service and count of people significantly watching Netflix compared to Disney+. If you took that say 66 out of 100 watched Netflix and 53 out 100 watched Prime then viewership is 80% but the cost is double.

So take £7.99 and increase that by the 21.8% higher viewership that means the top premium package for Netlfix by such figure would be around £9.73 then, not £15.99 they are now charging. The fact you can get Prime and Disney+ for less than Netflix premium (with same features and more overall due to Prime) then it is a really hard justification for Netflix as it was without the price increase.

Don’t buy it then. Problem solved.

Huh? I have already said I will cancel my sub for Netflix, although may try the VPN thing as noted. However discussing its value or not and alternatives is kind of the point of thread in that we are all talking about where and how to save monies.

Nobody stated you had to buy it or similar. Just noting the cost increase considering the alternatives is already stupid and then they are talking about adding advertisement on top of their increased price.

Was reading that the energy companies are now under investigation as they've been taking the pee with direct debit payments and treatment to some customers that are struggling with the massive price rises

Sister n law has gone from £130 per month for both gas and electric to £430 per month

I'm not great at maths but that doesn't look like 50% to me

The stated 50% is an example for an average user, is she's not an average user then it could be less or could be more. If she's been on a long term fixed rate tariff it could be more than 100%, a lot more in some cases.

Was reading that the energy companies are now under investigation as they've been taking the pee with direct debit payments and treatment to some customers that are struggling with the massive price rises

Sister n law has gone from £130 per month for both gas and electric to £430 per month

I'm not great at maths but that doesn't look like 50% to me

It's not as simple as that though. For example, she could have gone from a cheap fixed deal from a couple of years ago to an expensive fixed deal now.

You'd need a lot more information to judge if the increase was "taking the pee" or not.

I haven't been in this thread for ages but my renewal has just come through. They're only giving me one option and it's a 60% increase, I was actually expecting more.

Going from £163/month to £262 with Shell. My new tariff is called "Flexible 7 Direct Debit ebill".

BitmqBNl.png.jpg

I haven't been in this thread for ages but my renewal has just come through. They're only giving me one option and it's a 60% increase, I was actually expecting more.

Going from £163/month to £262 with Shell. My new tariff is called "Flexible 7 Direct Debit ebill".

BitmqBNl.png.jpg

Fair, what is your actual rates showing though? No idea how that compares with what noted.

This is a breakdown of my usage to date and a little extrapolation for the year created then. We have halved our electric usage if not more to get to this though and I have reduced time at home and spent more time visiting family and such which isn't all bad but you have to be much more disciplined to achieve this.

KRdRtDB.png

With that and gas looking to be about £40 a month I should be able to keep my energy bill to around £100-£110 a month then, up from £80-£90 pre cap change overall.

In fairness comparing Q1 2021 Netflix vs other services for Disney+ is a bit off considering age of service and count of people significantly watching Netflix compared to Disney+. If you took that say 66 out of 100 watched Netflix and 53 out 100 watched Prime then viewership is 80% but the cost is double.

10 times as much material watched on netflix versus prime so that means your 16-34 year old from their 90 minutes of svod watches ~9 minutes of amazon and ~81 minutes of netflix, so on those kind of ratios - if entertainment value is proportional to time you watch it (unless people watch it to just tell their friends on social media), then higher netflix monthly cost is justified.

10 times as much material watched on netflix versus prime so that means your 16-34 year old from their 90 minutes of svod watches ~9 minutes of amazon and ~81 minutes of netflix, so on those kind of ratios - if entertainment value is proportional to time you watch it (unless people watch it to just tell their friends on social media), then higher netflix monthly cost is justified.

That isn't justification though. If you pay for a subscription and it has similar content library then you'd expect a similar cost regardless of your personal usage.

With that yes Netflix isn't a surprise at being more, Prime is subsidised via alternative revenue streams and is an additive product to a collective.

But double the cost for such is beyond reasonable. Mentioned above that the cost really needs to be pulled closer in line to keep offering the same value. There a reason that they expecting to drop 2 million subs this coming quarter and looking to further subsidise their revenue with adverts.

You can get Prime and Disney+ for same price which shows how far off value is, even worse if you pay yearly for the both them and use any other services from Amazon thats included. Not as bad as Sky or BT etc but yeah, still stupid price now in this current climate.

Anyways I'll be cancelling on 1st May before the price increase.

Moved into a rented property few days ago and it has a pre payment meter. Never used one of these in my life, am I going to get completed shafted? :(

From last few days seem to use about £2/d on electricity and £1/d on gas. Trying to be economical though, switching off sockets before going to sleep/work, not leaving anything on standby etc.

Was going to buy an air fryer so don't need to use gas for oven but I didn't realise how much more expensive electricity is, thought it was gas that was the expensive one...

Back
Top Bottom