Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

This is the one that's already claimed over £2mil in constraint payments this month isn't it?

Unsure... I did look for some info off the back of your comment but couldnt find any. Its only been providing electricity since 6th June 2024 so not sure if its possible to accrue £2m in curtailment costs in just under 3 months :confused:

I did find this though which I found interesting:

According to SSE, once the wind farm is fully operational, it will be the “UK’s most productive onshore wind farm” with an annual generation capacity of around 1.8TWh.
SOURCE

1.8TWh is the amount that Scotland imported last year. Now I appreciate that wind power is variable however, in theoretical terms and if the same power is generated next year (bearing in mind other renewables are coming on line) then Scotland is very very close to being self sufficient in energy.... Well, until the last Nuclear plant (Torness) is decommissioned although, by that time, other generation sources may have come on line to counteract this.

Last edited:
first link that popped up from a quick search on google:

Yeah, I used the official term (curtailment) rather than constraint so it didn't come up.

I'm guessing that, once the new interconnects between Scotland and England are in place and the NG get their finger out with NG improvements, this should be much lower.

You've got to question why a farm that can produce enough to power 500,000 homes, located within a population of 23,000 people (so, at a guess, 15,000 homes at most) sees no additional benefit from hosting this level of energy production right on their doorstep for the benefit of the rest of the UK.
I think its pretty easy to answer, those 23000 people dont own it. The landowners will be doing very nicely though.

Back
Top Bottom