Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Martin Lewis just made a video saying that prices could increase by 77% in October. Personally, I think it'll be even higher than that. :(
I don't think we need Martin Lewis to tell us things are going to get a whole lot worse. A pity that at the crucial times he was advising everyone to stay on the SVT or go onto the SVT when their fixes ended.

I don't think we need Martin Lewis to tell us things are going to get a whole lot worse. A pity that at the crucial times he was advising everyone to stay on the SVT or go onto the SVT when their fixes ended.

Said this a while ago.
People like fixing. I think many didn't because of the advice.

Don't blame him as no one thought it would get this bad. But yeah I think that advice cost a lot of people

why ?? brought up 2 kids always worn glasses ..how can something that does the same job be inferior ?? go on just say it glasses make you look like a ???t ... lol if your own self-centeredness cant get past it to save you £700 every 2yrs or so .. so be it :p
Just a few thinks I can think of
They fall off whenever you tilt your head to an extreme angle (think leaning over something when doing diy)
Kids grab things when they're young and pull them off.
Can't wear normal sunglasses, you either get prescription ones or clip on ones, I can just buy cheap ebay specials as wearing contacts.
It's annoying only having a very narrow field thats in focus, whereas contact focus everything.
If I go swimming, I'd have to get prescription goggles, as it is I just use normal ones.
It's annoying if you're trying to look down the side of something next to a wall too.
Cost wise glasses are cheaper though. But for me cost is the only benefit. I'm on a boots daily contact scheme and it's only 23 a month but that includes eye tests/checkups. Not sure they do the same with glasses.

Anyone better at this than me think it's worth me fixing... Current deal then fixed deal below:

Screenshot-20220730-074455.png

Screenshot-20220730-074532.png

Roughly a 55% increase in payment (this doesn't include the £66/month discount from the government for 6 months)

Worth fixing?

Anyone better at this than me think it's worth me fixing... Current deal then fixed deal below:

Screenshot-20220730-074455.png

Screenshot-20220730-074532.png

Roughly a 55% increase in payment (this doesn't include the £66/month discount from the government for 6 months)

Worth fixing?
Yes fix it now. It's only going it get more and more expensive. Mine was 100 and went upto 201. I didnt know whether to go for it or not but went for it and fixed it for two years. Looking at prices now I'm so glad that I did

In fairness he has said for some time now if you could get a fixed within x% of the price cap in october to go with the fixed. Thats what i did many months ago. Although BG still havent moved me, but holding on to the confirmation email for dear life and have contacted them twice since. But ever since i got moved form peoples energy its been a disaster with BG in terms of sorting out accounts.

I wouldn't be fixing right now tbh. I'd just be budgeting for the potential increase later on.
All that will happen to him is that the prices will go up again and the rates will be even higher. Fix now for as long as you can and hope that the time period rides you out to the end of this madness

I would say always check octopus ... *** no referalls allowed*** but if they are close to competetive the good thing about them is they don't lock you in on their fixed contracts. you can leave at any time for free without a penalty normally not ab issue but right now and escape clause is good

edit that above has no exit fees too DOH!

Last edited by a moderator:
The problem I see with a fixed deal right now is that while the price is projected to increase in October/January, that is based entirely on the assumption that Russia will continue their campaign in the Ukraine throughout that time. If they were to suddenly call it quits in September and reinstate the gas pipeline Nord Stream, wholesale gas prices would potentially plummet and you'd be stuck paying significantly more until your plan is over or you'd get stung with extreme exit fees. Either way the energy company wins and you lose.

If you just want the peace of mind from having a fix tarrif and don't care about the cost, more power to you. I think for those on lower incomes standard variable while it may have higher peaks it is almost more likely to see decreases in cost sooner.

The question really though is do you see Russia pulling out this year or do you think they will escalate as the west is weakened from the energy crisis/recession or civil unrest?

The problem I see with a fixed deal right now is that while the price is projected to increase in October/January, that is based entirely on the assumption that Russia will continue their campaign in the Ukraine throughout that time. If they were to suddenly call it quits in September and reinstate the gas pipeline Nord Stream, wholesale gas prices would potentially plummet and you'd be stuck paying significantly more until your plan is over or you'd get stung with extreme exit fees. Either way the energy company wins and you lose.

If you just want the peace of mind from having a fix tarrif and don't care about the cost, more power to you. I think for those on lower incomes standard variable while it may have higher peaks it is almost more likely to see decreases in cost sooner.

The question really though is do you see Russia pulling out this year or do you think they will escalate as the west is weakened from the energy crisis/recession or civil unrest?

Big companies have bought in way in advance (upto a year) so locked in the high rates

Ah switch to a cheaper one you say, already been fixed, the penalty the new supplier pays has been hiked already

Given the huge rise in electricity prices and I am a high user of it (looking at over 1400 quid for this quarterly bill despite cutting back and no kennel heating as it's summer) does a diesel generator start to make more sense? I know it was poo poohed here some time back.

I truly believe that Russia have got us by the balls right now and they know it. They're going to keep squeezing until they get whatever it is that they want.

I can afford the prices, however, at 50p per kwh, i think i will start to consider simply cutting off the electric, and if i do that, gas also, and might as well cancel my internet.

Arguably this might be a good thing as im spending my life on the computer/internet.

I truly believe that Russia have got us by the balls right now and they know it. They're going to keep squeezing until they get whatever it is that they want.
Na they really haven't. Money is one thing the West isn't short of. It's just we don't want to prop up even higher prices. Stop reading the Daily Kremlin.

Given the huge rise in electricity prices and I am a high user of it (looking at over 1400 quid for this quarterly bill despite cutting back and no kennel heating as it's summer) does a diesel generator start to make more sense? I know it was poo poohed here some time back.
Solar panels on a low interest loan may be better for you. Much more sustainable given you are a high user.

If diesel was maybe 80p a litre or something maybe. Depends what that costs and then the outlay for the equipment, probably not worth it as well as going against the environmental impact we are trying to improve.

Back
Top Bottom