Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

And Starmer is the answer if that was the question? Right :cry:

12 years of tory, 12 years of failure, lies and corruption on a huge scale. Brexit disaster, inflation through the roof, living standards/wages in the toilet and millions relying on food banks, or deciding whether to eat or put the heating on.

What's Boris the answer to apart from the question "Who is the worst PM in History?"

:cry:

Just when you thoiught you had seen the worst PM in History in Theresa May a woman so absolutely clueless, inept, and out of her depth as to make Cameron look like Gladstone, along comes BJ.

:D

Can someone remind me again why we closed down so many nuclear power stations?

They were too old and reached the end of their operating life, even after expensive upgrade to extend the life.

The problem is new nuclear plants were not brought online in the 80s and 90s, in part due to a greater appreciation of the nuclear waste problem, impacts from Chernobyl, and simple economics. Nuclear is very expensive energy, and the current generation of plants are mostly designed around providing weapons grade nuclear material. With the cold war over, there was no need for the state sponsorship of nuclear weapons production under the guise of energy production. Lastly, The fossil fuel industry have powerful political influence that further pressured the government not to invest in nuclear.

no loaves & fishes capability

Now that the COP26 propaganda is over, Boris is already being more pragmmatic with the 6 oil well proposals, don't forget (Tory) Surrey oil wells.

... and the Chinese new reactor designs were problematic - given we are now concerned by russian cyber hacks, saying no to those designs and huawei was probably prudent.

Did the heavy storms ramp up the green/wind energy inputs to the grid ? or were they too strong so turbines had to be shut down.
The Turbines fell over, about as useful as a chocolate teapot.

Jesus thats a lot of flour, 60 kg of columbian "flour"? Why so much lol
I always buy flour in bulk because I bake most days and it's cheaper to buy in quantity than pick up 1.5kg bags from the supermarkets, assuming the supermarkets actually have very strong Canadian flour. I've got enough left for around 25 loaves so I figured I may as well grab some more now rather than wait. Normally I buy around 40kg at a time so this is just a little bit more, a little bit early.

I always buy flour in bulk because I bake most days and it's cheaper to buy in quantity than pick up 1.5kg bags from the supermarkets, assuming the supermarkets actually have very strong Canadian flour. I've got enough left for around 25 loaves so I figured I may as well grab some more now rather than wait. Normally I buy around 40kg at a time so this is just a little bit more, a little bit early.

I know im going off on a tagent but do you bake a lot of fresh bread most days?

They were too old and reached the end of their operating life, even after expensive upgrade to extend the life.

The problem is new nuclear plants were not brought online in the 80s and 90s, in part due to a greater appreciation of the nuclear waste problem, impacts from Chernobyl, and simple economics. Nuclear is very expensive energy, and the current generation of plants are mostly designed around providing weapons grade nuclear material. With the cold war over, there was no need for the state sponsorship of nuclear weapons production under the guise of energy production. Lastly, The fossil fuel industry have powerful political influence that further pressured the government not to invest in nuclear.
One of the reasons nuclear is so expensive is that typically we've gone about it with multiple different designs, and as you say designs that were not optimised for actually producing electricity with minimal waste.
When you build a dozen reactors to a dozen different designs there is no commonality to most of the parts which means that you're effectively paying for full testing and certification for every part for every reactor, change a single part and you may need to face very expensive recertification just because you can't find a specific widget to go on a single board*.

There is a long thread in SC about power generation that discusses it, but IIRC the French and Chinese have largely stuck to one design each, and there has been movement on what are basically "mass production" reactors which massively lowers the upfront and ongoing costs as all the design/certification costs are spread across a bunch of units (and as much as possibly is made on a production line basis).

*IIRC there is a thriving business in finding spare parts from the 70's and 80's (and earlier) to use in industrial equipment (including reactors) as the original manufacturers of the parts may have long since stopped making them, but the cost of certifying a new part to be used in a design is huge. You see the same thing in the medical industry, there are devices that could be made smaller/cheaper/more efficient with modern parts but the cost of say certifying the change from dozens of discrete parts to a single chip is far too high (despite the fact that single chip is likely to be far more reliable long term).

seems doubtful the remaining small energy firms anticipated the Russian imposition,
so ofgen must be anticipating a few more going out of business, for providing fixed contracts they would have to renage on

Back
Top Bottom