Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Went into the Queensgate shopping centre in Peterborough today, was bloody freezing inside, including most of the shops, could see my own breath.

Feel so sorry for the staff who are working there all day.

These have been stood down…

I thought we were told that France was the gold standard for national energy resilience…

We’ve been regularly importing 5% or more of our electricity from France so we’re very reliant on their “gold standard” so I wouldn’t mock.

See here - https://grid.iamkate.com/

You are in a very small minority of a very small minority. Batteries won’t get significantly cheaper until supply significantly outpaces demand. They haven’t in the last 4 years since I bought mine.
Yes that's fair - although the ROI breakeven for mine was a few years, even at the higher prices (ie paying 7.5p for 19.5kw Vs the 30-45p people are paying reduces the cost significantly)

But definitely prices will drop - that's the end state of demand after all!

Yes that's fair - although the ROI breakeven for mine was a few years, even at the higher prices (ie paying 7.5p for 19.5kw Vs the 30-45p people are paying reduces the cost significantly)

But definitely prices will drop - that's the end state of demand after all!
The point is you have a much bigger array than the majority of solar owners. So the returns you’re getting are not what others will be seeing. You also have a large battery setup, others won’t have.

Prices will inevitably drop, not sure when though especially if demand for EV’s stays as it is.

I doubt there'll be a significant drop in battery prices now, with increasing demand for EVs, home batteries and the building of large industrial energy storage systems popping up all over, none of these are likely to go away. On top of that raw material supply is likely to remain constrained for years.

Why when we have 2 drax coal power plants on hand ready to go do we choose to burn expensive gas supplies and import electricity at market price. Please tell me it's not to appease environmentalists

Last edited:
Why when we have 2 drax coal power plants on hand ready to go do we choose to burn expensive gas supplies and import electricity at market price. Please tell me it's not to appease environmentalists
I can't speak specifically about today but they are normally fired up in the order of cost and not CO2.

The point is you have a much bigger array than the majority of solar owners. So the returns you’re getting are not what others will be seeing. You also have a large battery setup, others won’t have.

Prices will inevitably drop, not sure when though especially if demand for EV’s stays as it is.
Oh yes, I totally agree here (although our energy use is also significantly above average, so it balances to a degree!).

I'm just articulating where it could go in next 3-5 years - I think battery prices and solar will inevitably drop (or more precisely prices won't drop, but capacity/generation will increase) as it has done for the last ~50 years or so, so this will start to open it up to more households.

I know it's he way the world works but it's typical that those who don't really need it can afford to buy equipment that brings down their energy costs. Most people I know with solar and batteries etc are doing it for the fun of it, the energy savings are a bonus. There are houses near me that are lit up like Times Square and I know there'll be others who can barely afford to turn on the heating for an hour. :( Forgot to add, yes I am envious. :p

Last edited:
I know it's he way the world works but it's typical that those who don't really need it can afford to buy equipment that brings down their energy costs. Most people I know with solar and batteries etc are doing it for the fun of it, the energy savings are a bonus. There are houses near me that are lit up like Times Square and I know there'll be others who can barely afford to turn on the heating for an hour. :( Forgot to add, yes I am envious. :p
Yeah totally agree - although we should remember the long range change - ie average house temps were 10-12C 80 years ago, no one had a car as they were so expensive etc and we've gradually raised our standard.

I'm not sure it's quite right to say 'its for the fun of it', but your essence is right - ie those who can afford it, can afford to think long term - eg my setup cost £14k, but will pay back £65k in 15 years through savings (woefully pessimistic given current costs) so it does allow smart investment whereas those who can't afford will have fewer choices to 'invest' out of challenges.

My point is that as people buy these, it'll drive them towards ubiquity which will drop prices (as per cars, telephone, PCs, mobiles etc etc) which are all accessible to pretty much all these days.

The other aspect is these people are able to shoulder the risk - ie solar, batteries, wind, inverters etc all will have teething issues as any new tech will, so IMO it's better to allow people for whom it's not a life changing risk to drive these things forward.

Please tell me it's not to appease environmentalists
cost - we have UK gas supplies as full as they can be with waiting LNG re-supply, drax is there for emergencies not really a quick evening power up

--

Unless we have UK/eu battery production (is british volt back in the game?) don't see battery price dropping - china will be handing batteries out like Putin with gas,
similarly for pv's they have monopolised the market, undercuttimg/destroying other suppliers, not by accident.

cost - we have UK gas supplies as full as they can be with waiting LNG re-supply, drax is there for emergencies not really a quick evening power up

--

Unless we have UK/eu battery production (is british volt back in the game?) don't see battery price dropping - china will be handing batteries out like Putin with gas,
similarly for pv's they have monopolised the market, undercuttimg/destroying other suppliers, not by accident.

Which is why we need to get ahead now. Need to be building battery storage en masse

Thermometers arrived yesterday and I now have to eat humble pie. Thought we were soft but the lounge reached max 15C yesterday and this morning the house is between 9C and 10C. Maybe my wife has a point when she says it's cold.

And that was burning over a tenner of gas.

Today we shall see how much it costs to take the house to 18C and keep it there for a few hours (with 16C in between)

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom