Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Has anyone that went solar and battery changed from a gas boiler to an electric one?

Say one was to go with 8-9Kw Solar and 16KW battery and it was time to upgrade a new boiler anyways, would it make sense to change to an electric boiler and get rid of gas from the house? I mean you get to use all solar you generate and the rest you get cheap by filling up using GO or some other night tariff to fill your battery.

@Mercenary Keyboard Warrior Thoughts? Did you consider it?

Won't be much solar input at the minute to power an electric boiler

That's why I said it would be also with around 16KW battery.

I mean @katie279 in the north of the wall got around 12kwh today if read correctly and is on 7KW solar array? Sure some days it will be a lot less, but that is for a few month with short days.

A 16kwh battery wouldn’t even touch the sides when it comes to heating, let alone the solar needed to power it in winter.

An average property uses n the region of 11,000 kWh from gas a year for heating and hot water, most of it is for heating.

Even if you assume the boiler is 80% efficient, that is still 8,800kwh with the vast majority of that coming in winter. That’s also completely opposite to your solar generation where the vast majority comes in the summer.

Reactions: TNA
A 16kwh battery wouldn’t even touch the sides when it comes to heating, let alone the solar needed to power it in winter.

An average property uses n the region of 11,000 kWh from gas a year for heating and hot water, most of it is for heating.

Even if you assume the boiler is 80% efficient, that is still 8,800kwh with the vast majority of that coming in winter. That’s also completely opposite to your solar generation where the vast majority comes in the summer.
TNA is quite right re generation - 11.1kwh yesterday.

To take your stats @b0rn2sk8 - 11000kwh is ~30kwh per day (obviously much less in summer, more in winter) is more than 'scratching the sides'.

Yesterday 11kwh was solar, I also have 19.5kwh of batteries that I charged overnight at 7.5ppkwh - so 30kwh of free/cheap heating is a decent chunk.

I can imagine in a few years as batteries become cheaper/bigger, I'll have at least double that - so it's quite reasonable that it'll increasingly bite a chunk off the cost...?

They are not actually that bad. 14.4kW power for a electric combi. My neighbour has one installed and used 7200kW for the previous 12 months. So average 19.7kW a day. So that is what £2426.40 a year if on grid currently.

Lets say half your battery is used for the boiler and half for the electric you use.

-16kW even if you had to fully charge battery at night is about £1.92 right now as it is 12p/kW.
- So 8kW of your needed 19.7kW is £0.96
- 11kW is left needed. If from grid that is £4.58

Now lets assume you manage at least 6kW from the solar a day then you are only paying £2.082
Total cost is around £3.04 per day for the hot water/heating then. Of course it is more like double/triple that in winter usage compared to summer. But yeah in principle that is not all that bad with even lowish return of solar. In the summer it likely that you are only running off solar and so only need to take costs in Winter into account.

Of course this all is depending on long term. If your expected time at the house is 10+ years right now it likely makes sense. Otherwise it could be a longer return on costs up front. The other interesting element is that you can have the boiler in loft or similar also because it doesn't need a flue and install easier meaning you can gain additional usable storage space in the house if that is of use to someone.

Energy saving trial today early evening (octopus & co) is the real deal, with the cold, expected to be peak UK demand so far,
supply presumably expected to leave sufficient margin (how much) to avoid blackouts,
available wind only 10% of peak.

still - worse for Ukrainians

Standard Government cap rates so 34p elec and 10p gas.

Unless I have my sums wrong but I've used
16 units of gas (180 kWh)
35 kWh of electricity.

It's higher once you include SC which accounts for nearly 30% of my daily costs (78p/day)

Edit: for context, it's a 3 bed semi circa 900sqft.
Jeez, what temperature are you running the house at, and for how long?

We're running at 19ºC whenever we're in, and 16ºC when we're not in and overnight. So far this month we've used 420kWh of gas, or an average of £3.95/day before standing charge. 3-bed modern detached, about 95sq.m size.

Jeez, what temperature are you running the house at, and for how long?

We're running at 19ºC whenever we're in, and 16ºC when we're not in and overnight. So far this month we've used 420kWh of gas, or an average of £3.95/day before standing charge. 3-bed modern detached, about 95sq.m size.

18oC... It is off all day when I am at work to 10oC but it doesn't go lower than about 15 during that time due to insulation I guess.

When I am not working, it's set to 18oC all day.

My home is similar to yours - 3 bed semi about the same size

They are not actually that bad. 14.4kW power for a electric combi. My neighbour has one installed and used 7200kW for the previous 12 months. So average 19.7kW a day. So that is what £2426.40 a year if on grid currently.

Lets say half your battery is used for the boiler and half for the electric you use.

-16kW even if you had to fully charge battery at night is about £1.92 right now as it is 12p/kW.
- So 8kW of your needed 19.7kW is £0.96
- 11kW is left needed. If from grid that is £4.58

Now lets assume you manage at least 6kW from the solar a day then you are only paying £2.082
Total cost is around £3.04 per day for the hot water/heating then. Of course it is more like double/triple that in winter usage compared to summer. But yeah in principle that is not all that bad with even lowish return of solar. In the summer it likely that you are only running off solar and so only need to take costs in Winter into account.

Of course this all is depending on long term. If your expected time at the house is 10+ years right now it likely makes sense. Otherwise it could be a longer return on costs up front. The other interesting element is that you can have the boiler in loft or similar also because it doesn't need a flue and install easier meaning you can gain additional usable storage space in the house if that is of use to someone.

The reason I say it doesn’t touch the sides is because once you have factored in your normal electric consumption, a 16kwh battery doesn’t have much spare capacity at all.

Yes on some days in winter you may produce 10kwh but the reality is that you’ll probably only produce 80-100kwh for the entire month when you mostly need your heating. The basic assumption is that through winter you’ll have zero spare solar capacity.

A fairly average house will be using 10kwh per day. That’s 11kwh of your battery consumed as you’ll loose 10ish% of your energy doing the AC to DC conversion. The battery probably has a 90% depth of discharge limitation also leaving you with 3kWh per day to use on heat.

That also doesn’t take into account that most battery set ups top out at 5kw, a 14.4kw electric boiler will be pulling 10kw from the grid regardless when it initially fires up.

Something like 75% of the energy you use for heating comes in a 4.5 month period. Even a conservative estimate of 8000kwh requirement times 75% over 120 days is 45kwh per day. You’ll need 50kwh of batteries to cover that daily demand.

You have real limitations on how much inverter capacity you can have on a domestic property because the local grid doesn’t want you dumping energy back into it. You need special permission to install an inverter bigger than 3.6kw, most domestic single phase inverters top out at 5kw. I doubt your DNO would approve you having more than one, certainly not if everyone does that.

TNA is quite right re generation - 11.1kwh yesterday.

To take your stats @b0rn2sk8 - 11000kwh is ~30kwh per day (obviously much less in summer, more in winter) is more than 'scratching the sides'.

Yesterday 11kwh was solar, I also have 19.5kwh of batteries that I charged overnight at 7.5ppkwh - so 30kwh of free/cheap heating is a decent chunk.

I can imagine in a few years as batteries become cheaper/bigger, I'll have at least double that - so it's quite reasonable that it'll increasingly bite a chunk off the cost...?

If you had an air/ground source heat pump which would cut your energy consumption considerably I could see there being a case. But in reality you still need to take into account the capital cost of batteries in top of the heat pump.

The TDLR is that a domestic property can’t fit enough solar and batteries or powerful enough inverters to run a direct electric boiler. The capital cost is needed to get that functionality is also significant.

On some days you’ll have some capacity but the rest of the time you’ll be spending £lol/kWh for heating on a direct electric boiler.

Last edited:
To add to the above, if you want to go down that route, you are far better off using a thermal store which you can heat up at night off peak. You can then cut out the batteries entirely and retain a solar diverter to that heat store for any excess solar you get on the odd days. I still maintain that using electric battery storage makes no sense.

I think the product is a Tepio heat battery which is basically a giant chunk of concentrate which is heated up to a very high temperature and then let’s the heat out gradually via a heat exchanger into a standard wet heating system. It’s a very similar concept to storage heaters but with a 21 century spin.

The reason I say it doesn’t touch the sides is because once you have factored in your normal electric consumption, a 16kwh battery doesn’t have much spare capacity at all.

Yes on some days in winter you may produce 10kwh but the reality is that you’ll probably only produce 80-100kwh for the entire month when you mostly need your heating. The basic assumption is that through winter you’ll have zero spare solar capacity.

A fairly average house will be using 10kwh per day. That’s 11kwh of your battery consumed as you’ll loose 10ish% of your energy doing the AC to DC conversion. The battery probably has a 90% depth of discharge limitation also leaving you with 3kWh per day to use on heat.

That also doesn’t take into account that most battery set ups top out at 5kw, a 14.4kw electric boiler will be pulling 10kw from the grid regardless when it initially fires up.

Something like 75% of the energy you use for heating comes in a 4.5 month period. Even a conservative estimate of 8000kwh requirement times 75% over 120 days is 45kwh per day. You’ll need 50kwh of batteries to cover that daily demand.

You have real limitations on how much inverter capacity you can have on a domestic property because the local grid doesn’t want you dumping energy back into it. You need special permission to install an inverter bigger than 3.6kw, most domestic single phase inverters top out at 5kw. I doubt your DNO would approve you having more than one, certainly not if everyone does that.

If you had an air/ground source heat pump which would cut your energy consumption considerably I could see there being a case. But in reality you still need to take into account the capital cost of batteries in top of the heat pump.

The TDLR is that a domestic property can’t fit enough solar and batteries or powerful enough inverters to run a direct electric boiler. The capital cost is needed to get that functionality is also significant.

On some days you’ll have some capacity but the rest of the time you’ll be spending £lol/kWh for heating on a direct electric boiler.
I get what you are saying. That all depend on your electric usage of course in available. Also the 14.4kW electric boiler uses that initially but once to temp then it pulls about 2kW.

For instance mine is only 3.2kW a day average so a 16kW battery would be almost 13kW spare, ignoring as you say the other elements in the system and efficiency. Indeed you are correct on it all that in principle. It is so defined by exact personal usage on that front. But it can be viable depending on usage and time of return you expect.

For me it would make 100% sense to move to it if the initial outlay wasn't £15k to do so (solar, battery, electric boiler) as I am only going to be at my property another 3-5yrs realitically and so wouldn't get a return. My next home I am hopefull will be my long term home and so will be willing to put that sort of monies in or look to purchase a property with it already all done tbh.

3.2kw or 3.2kwh?

Is that your electric consumption for the whole day? Either way that must be a typo.

A decent solar system with 16kwh of battery will probably cost about £20k. Prices are actually going up and not down.

To add to the above, if you want to go down that route, you are far better off using a thermal store which you can heat up at night off peak. You can then cut out the batteries entirely and retain a solar diverter to that heat store for any excess solar you get on the odd days. I still maintain that using electric battery storage makes no sense.

I think the product is a Tepio heat battery which is basically a giant chunk of concentrate which is heated up to a very high temperature and then let’s the heat out gradually via a heat exchanger into a standard wet heating system. It’s a very similar concept to storage heaters but with a 21 century spin.

Ah yes, the zeb tepeo. I did see that before, but those are quite expensive as I recall and I hate it when there is no prices on a website. But something to consider for sure.

Thanks for your input by the way. Good to see pros and cons of all this stuff.

3.2kw or 3.2kwh?

Is that your electric consumption for the whole day? Either way that must be a typo.

A decent solar system with 16kwh of battery will probably cost about £20k. Prices are actually going up and not down.
No my whole day electric usage average is 3.2kW. I pull average during sleep 0.04kWh and during day when working around 0.20kWh then with some mini spikes for cooking and similar.

The last quote I had for electric boiler, solar with 9 panels, and a 12kWh battery about was £14,500. Boiler was £2.1k, battery £6k and panels £6.4k so yeah it probably is closer to £20k for a 16kWh battery. But yeah the return (this was 3 months ago) for that and my usage was long because of my low electric usage but was good I could keep my battery stored up relative and basically be grid free.

wow just noticed export prices hit £1.80 today...... (I dont get that, its 4.2p for me!)

I am guessing this cant go on for long and so the rolling blackout could be close. for todays power hr (2 hrs 5-7) i am guessing they must be pretty desperate so to make absolutely sure i am not using the grid then i am trying an experiment and have hit the trip switch on my battery system.............. so i hope the battery wont discharge any more today up until then. it currently has about 3kwh of usable charge left in it which i hope will see me through the 2 hrs tonight

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom