Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Electric prices here are record high today.

Looking at about 40p kwh

We have no gäs thank god....

Starting to wish I locked in for 13p kWh lol
But I think it will all even out anyway over 12 months

You think that's low? We're in an end terrace, 1950s-built brick three bedroom. We run the heating 24/7/365, keeping the house at an actual 19oC. This month, we used an average of 20kWh/day in gas. I'd be mortified at 30! :p If you're heating your house up from cold all the time, it's going to need the boiler running flat out each time. We find it cheaper to just leave it ticking over, along with being sensible about not opening doors/windows more than needed, having curtains closed and over exterior doors etc.

Screenshot-2022-12-14-at-07-26-13.png

On the other hand, the 'leccy has murdered us lately. This month it was £170, and that's with LED-everything and running the bare minimum. Our background usage is about 400W in the day and 200W for 12 hours overnight (plus bursts for dishwasher, washing machine etc). Before this quarter, our whole energy bill was £90/month for dual fuel. Jumping to £170 for electricity and £80 for gas is an eye opener... We've basically gone from paying £22.50 a week all in to £62.50 a week. Not at all terrible by some standards (my in-laws on pre-pay spent that a week even before the rises!), but it's a jump nonetheless!

Edit: Weekly maths fail (no coffee yet).

You've offset gas usage with heating your home by electricity instead :p a background 400W is a considerable amount of heat continually pumping into your home

I’m astonished at how bad some of the houses are on here at keeping in the warm, my house is a 1950s concrete with insulation bonded to the outside, and seems to hold it’s temperature quite well, ATM I’m seeing how long the heating has to be on to keep it at a constant 20c, since midnight it’s needed 1h32m of heating to stay at 20c

Is your house quite small? your stats are good.

I have Hive but it's on two zones (downstairs and upstairs). I suspect my front door and patio door are both pretty good at leaking heat to be honest, one day I may change them for better insulated ones, or at least one that seal better.

I would be absolutely devastated with that, here is mine for comparison, north east and -4 that night
05lwcbm.png

These are 2 extremes.

Mines in middle! Still not sure about this room heating at different times of the day thing. Not sure how much it saves.

Really difficult to assess not having a smart meter

Last edited:
Here's my study
i8BBGVX.jpg

Here's the living room

efawqB2.jpg

Is it just better to heat to say 17 as a base 8am-8pm and then 20 in room you're in? Rather than this big swing?

House dipped to 13c overnight without heating.

Pale verticals are the actual requests by trv for heat

Its looking like the heating is basically being requested almost all the time when you combine all rooms. Is there any point in this? Making me wonder about the value of smart heating.

For example if the study has hit target, but other study is under the heating is on heating 1 radiator. You can imagine this ping pong keeping the heating on potentially all the time.

However, does this get countered by the flow only going to, say 2 radiators?

Effectively..
Is it worth heating 2 radiators 8 hours a day (smart heating) vs all radiators 8 hours a day (dumb heating)

Last edited:
Our house doesnt seem to drop below 16 degrees overnight with the current cold spell which is quite good. Usually turn heating off at ~10pm, and have it set to about 19/20 in the day. So in about 9 hours with no heating on it only tends to drop about 3/4 degrees.

Last edited:
Our house doesnt seem to drop below 16 degrees overnight with the current cold spell which is quite good. Usually turn heating off at ~10pm, and have it set to about 19/20 in the day. So in about 9 hours with no heating on it only tends to drop about 3/4 degrees.
Yea we're seeing similar (3-bed detached). Thermostat on 19ºC, we drop it back to 16ºC at 2130 and I've yet to see it kick in before the "normal" morning on-time of 0540, even when it was -6ºC overnight like last night.

My downstairs stat was 18.5C last night at around 7PM, this morning was just over 15C at 7AM, so 12 hours it went from 18.5 - 15 which isn't terrible, no heating on in that window. It seems to hold 17-18C OK but I think I'd see it drop off a lot quicker if I tried to maintain 19/20C through most of the day.

Yea we're seeing similar (3-bed detached). Thermostat on 19ºC, we drop it back to 16ºC at 2130 and I've yet to see it kick in before the "normal" morning on-time of 0540, even when it was -6ºC overnight like last night.

Same (3 bed detached also). Not sure I can ask for much more than that/prevent it dropping as much in this weather.

Back
Top Bottom