Energy Prices (Strictly NO referrals!)

Octopus Saving sessions

In Winter our storage battery doesn't last all day, so I adjust the battery discharge time to fit in with the Saving Session schedule. We aren't big energy users at peak time (5-7) but it's going okay so far : 10k Octo points which is about £13

52565357550_4c40e83fb2_c.jpg

Octopus Saving sessions

In Winter our storage battery doesn't last all day, so I adjust the battery discharge time to fit in with the Saving Session schedule. We aren't big energy users at peak time (5-7) but it's going okay so far : 10k Octo points which is about £13

I do the same, and since mine wont last the day either I actually charge it a bit before the saving session to ensure I have enough power to go through the session.
I got 7840 from the last session so the in day adjustment must make some fair diff, I worked out the last 10 weekdays valid period I was using 2kwh average so I got points based on way above that simple reduction.

I do the same, and since mine wont last the day either I actually charge it a bit before the saving session to ensure I have enough power to go through the session.
I got 7840 from the last session so the in day adjustment must make some fair diff, I worked out the last 10 weekdays valid period I was using 2kwh average so I got points based on way above that simple reduction.
I thought people weren’t going to fiddle it for money lol.

I don't really see it as fiddling it for money
I shifted my grid usage outside that period
I would have had to use the energy anyway so I don't agree its fiddling

I mean they actively encourage you to load shift since thats the point
But you two have battery’s but you’re purposely charging before to make the system look as though you’re load shifting. Nothing technically wrong with it but as I said if their weren’t a financial incentive you wouldn’t be doing it.

But you two have battery’s but you’re purposely charging before to make the system look as though you’re load shifting. Nothing technically wrong with it but as I said if their weren’t a financial incentive you wouldn’t be doing it.

It would depend
It depends how much is in my battery at say 5pm for a 5-7 load shift. Its likely low by then, or potentially even run out.
With no load shifting I would just take from grid from what ever point it runs out (there are conversions losses AC->DC->AC)

When there is a load shift I tend to ensure I have something like 50% battery at the start, that way it will do the load shift and run into the evening at some point

This is the thing its not a simple always x case scenario.

Its not always super easy to predict usage

Don't get me wrong I will tend to over charge, ie shift my load usage earlier rather than undercharge and see it run out earlier.

Its really about taking the smartest action and using the batteries to enable life carrying on as normal, whilst drawing nothing from the grid.
I see the financial side as a benefit to the batteries with the positive that it enables me to help with the avoiding usage whilst rewarding me for paying for the position to be able to do so.

Octopus Saving sessions

That was quick, seems they found a way to speed it up?

Wow I got 16 points only. This was for 2 hours also. It has actually progressively declined.

296, 160, 144, 16.

Last edited:
I still dont like how they set this up, so load shifting to a slightly less peak hour from an actual off peak is rewarded, but load shifting to proper off peak it doesnt recognise. Plus no recognition of existing good load spread.

But still a win I guess, rebate for nothing no matter how small it is, and those gaming it getting something worthwhile from it, plus the grid getting their peak load drop.

How much power does charging batteries consume, would a fan heater have a similar effect?

Last edited:
I still dont like how they set this up, so load shifting to a slightly less peak hour from an actual off peak is rewarded, but load shifting to proper off peak it doesnt recognise. Plus no recognition of existing good load spread.

But still a win I guess, rebate for nothing no matter how small it is, and those gaming it getting something worthwhile from it, plus the grid getting their peak load drop.

How much power does charging batteries consume, would a fan heater have a similar effect?

Yep its for sure not there yet, but its a start
First we need to demonstrate there is enough want for demand pricing and rebates

I've said in here before but I think they're missing a trick by not specifically asking for people with batteries to charge them up and limit usage in the peak time when they want less grid usage.

There are quite a few people with batteries now who would take advantage of this to help the cause, and help the grid.

You shifted your charging from dusk hours to just before peak lol.

I didn't at all

I still charge in the 0:30-4:30 window to 100% if I can (batteries are currently capping as they are cold)

Normally I would just let them run down and could be on grid from early afternoon. It makes no diff normally from that point when I use what, I pay exactly the same amount at all times.

The thing is people aren’t load shifting to help the grid, they are doing it for personal gain so any results and data are artificially inflated. I’m not against the premise of load shifting and can clearly see the benefits it would bring, I am against taxpayers and regular customers paying for it to be abused as it inevitably was going to be.

How much power does charging batteries consume? Very much depends on the setup. Mine will consume about 3.3 kW/h but other will vary depending on size ect.

Last edited:
I don't see the issue, if they offer financial reward then this is the behaviour to expect and as this is just testing, the results represent real world.

Load shifting (regardless of the reason) is exactly what they are looking for. They literally suggest moving usage outside of the window. A battery is a very good way to help avoid those insane peak costs.

In pretty much every business I've worked in, in any industry, lumpy demand is more expensive than smooth predictable demand. Incentivising people to use off peak electric could be argued as just recognising that reduced cost?

Last edited:
Despite being on whole-amount DD for the last 4 months, British Gas has still managed to take overpayments and build up credit in my account again :rolleyes: Absolute muppets, and I guess that means another long wait on their phones to get through to agent again

Back
Top Bottom