Energy Suppliers

Associate
Same but worse. I've used £79 gas/electric this month, in credit by £180 and paying £85pm.

They have emailed me suggesting I increase my DD to £185... they must be f'ing barmy, let alone the fact they're potentially going under :D

Lolz!
Same here.
Was paying £70pm but my usage had naturally gone up anyway due to having a kid, WFH and other bits so usage all in is now averaging £120.
They are wanted me to pay £235pm "to ensure you don't go in to debit."

Soldato
The wife on maternity wanting the house at 20c 24/7 is what kills me.
I'm happy at with 18c, least with 20c I don't get damp windows in the morning.

Soldato
One of the reasons I didn't like OVO was because they insisted you were always at least a month's worth in credit, even during the winter when usage tends to be at it's highest. From memory, they liked you to be in two months credit by summer to cover your winter usage.

Soldato
One of the reasons I didn't like OVO was because they insisted you were always at least a month's worth in credit, even during the winter when usage tends to be at it's highest. From memory, they liked you to be in two months credit by summer to cover your winter usage.

Most suppliers now day are insisting on 1 month in advance. When you think about it, it's no different to thing like mobile phones, car insurance etc. You are always paying for it in advance yet for some reason people get really tetchy about paying for energy in advance

Soldato
Most suppliers now day are insisting on 1 month in advance. When you think about it, it's no different to thing like mobile phones, car insurance etc. You are always paying for it in advance yet for some reason people get really tetchy about paying for energy in advance
The way I see it, why shouldn't they let me go into debit during the winter months? As long as my direct debit zeroes the balance by summer, I don't see the problem. Why should they benefit from a positive balance and not me?

Soldato
Ugh, wish I'd cancelled my DD with Avro. They took a payment on 27th September even though they'd ceased trading........ :(

Call bank> indemnity claim> receive money back if you REALLY need it back now, otherwise the credit is safe when its moved to the SOLR

The way I see it, why shouldn't they let me go into debit during the winter months? As long as my direct debit zeroes the balance by summer, I don't see the problem. Why should they benefit from a positive balance and not me?

You could argue why should they take on a short term debt and what happens if you cant then afford to pay or you use way more than you expected and the debt spirals? It kind goes both ways, not saying either is right or wrong. Energy is one of the few things you historically used first then paid for 1-3 months down the line. You couldnt get your food shopping, eat it and pay for it in 1 -3 months time.

You have to see this from both perspectives, customer and company, and as i said before, you pay for nearly everything else in advance so how come its not acceptable to pay for energy in advance?

Soldato
Email them and tell them what you want to pay. With any that don't do accurate billing I set mine to £50 a month and then I'll top it up manually on winter. I like to be as near £0 balance as possible at all times or owe them.

Associate

Had that argument with Avro over and over, I never won it. I'm going to have the same fun with E-on soon. When signing up I put in figures based on real world usage, as you would, and my DD is set at £88 a month, which is OK. However I've £350 credit to come over from Avro so when that does I'll want that divided up and subtracted off my monthly bill over however many months are left of my 12 month tariff deal. The fun begins again :D Like you I want that money sat in my account in case I need it (unlikely but not the point), not an energy suppliers account. Wife and I budget well and have savings so we would prefer to owe slightly if anything.

Soldato
Isn't the point that if the administrators didn't take the DD (which gets paid to the SOLR) your account will just fall into debt as you are still using energy and would not be paying anything towards it.

Continuing to take DD's make sense in the way this market is set up and if you think about it I'm not really sure why you would be narked. This is very different to almost anyone else going bust where you would immediately cancel or spend vouchers because of the SOLR process.

Associate
British Gas just increased my monthly DD from £67.50 to £112, despite the fact I am already in credit. I specifically set my DD to £67.50 when I took out the contract as I worked out how much energy I usually use based on the last couple of years and divided it by 12. This has worked out perfectly so far in terms of what I am paying and how much I am in credit by etc. Obviously now they don't let you reduce it back using the online service and its virtually impossible to speak to anyone at an energy firm at the moment.

Back
Top Bottom