Energy Suppliers

Getting board of smart meters now, 4th visit and the gas meter still isn't talking to anything. Why are the fitters so incompetent at getting them working? It seems a silly system that doesn't just work instantly so they can be sure it's working before leaving.

Looks like my plan ends in July, no idea where I'm gonna go.

Electricity
16.35p
25.17p standing

Gas
2.84p
25.29p standing

2021 usage

Electricity

7005kWH

Gas

23236kWh
Essentially come October you will be paying double on electricity and treble or more for gas unfortunatly.

Getting board of smart meters now, 4th visit and the gas meter still isn't talking to anything. Why are the fitters so incompetent at getting them working? It seems a silly system that doesn't just work instantly so they can be sure it's working before leaving.
Poor management, over worked, underpaid and under trained I expect with zero movement on hours and leave. Same as any employment these day.

What else as that won't account for your usage, it's probably twice that of a normal 4 bed house. Mine's high, because I have servers and NAS's running 24/7.

Dryer for kids clothes (washing line used when possible) and Aircon unit (not used much) 4 bed house and WFH.
Both the electric and the gas usage are very high. Elec being hammered by dryer and aircon will certainly add to it but that's still very high. I'm expecting to use around 3500kWh/year in electric at our new house for two of us, including my EV charging. Do you have other electrical load? NAS, servers, that kind of thing?

Me and partner used about 12000kWh/year in gas, in an old Victorian terrace which haemorrhaged heat so heating was working hard all the time. We're expecting to use around 9000kWh/year at our new, 3-bed detached house. So for you to use over 23,000kWh of gas in a year is obscenely high, even accounting for double the amount of people needing hot water. Do you have your heating thermostat set to 23C or something mental like that?

I think BigBoy touched on this.

The system has problems with how long it takes for the talking to start, and they dont have enough manpower to have engineer sitting at a customer's house for half a day to see if it starts working, when the guy came to replace my IHD he gave me his mobile number and said I could ring him back before 5pm if the IHD stayed broken.

The system is so overloaded now there is customers now who are unable to book a smart meter fitting.

I think the actual meters can take longer to start uploading and synchronising at supplier, my electric meter took multiple days, and gas meter a week or so for readings to show on supplier website.

How close is your gas meter to the electric meter?

This smart meter business is making me a bit concerned for if/when I get in our new house. It does have a smart meter, but IHD is nowhere to be seen. On the smart transmitter I can see it has a green light for WAN, but a red light for HAN (home area network) - I'm guessing this is because the IHD is AWOL.

Further, it appears to be a SMETS1 unit and I'll be trying to get onto Octopus GO as I have an EV, which requires a SMETS2 so I guess I'll need a replacement.

Both the electric and the gas usage are very high. Elec being hammered by dryer and aircon will certainly add to it but that's still very high. I'm expecting to use around 3500kWh/year in electric at our new house for two of us, including my EV charging. Do you have other electrical load? NAS, servers, that kind of thing?

Me and partner used about 12000kWh/year in gas, in an old Victorian terrace which haemorrhaged heat so heating was working hard all the time. We're expecting to use around 9000kWh/year at our new, 3-bed detached house. So for you to use over 23,000kWh of gas in a year is obscenely high, even accounting for double the amount of people needing hot water. Do you have your heating thermostat set to 23C or something mental like that?
I didn't think my usage was that high, I knew it was more than average but when I asked some colleagues how much they are paying per month mine wasn't even the highest (I don't know their unit rate)

thermostat set to 21c in the winter (victorian terrace)

lots of smart tech including 5 cameras.
Total for 2021
£1674.37

Looks like my plan ends in July, no idea where I'm gonna go.

Electricity
16.35p
25.17p standing

Gas
2.84p
25.29p standing

2021 usage

Electricity

7005kWH

Gas

23236kWh

You'll be looking at 2000-2500 a year for gas alone just on unit cost with that
And for electricity probably 2500-3000?

5k bill over the year

And probably 300+ of standing charge.

Last edited:
I didn't think my usage was that high, I knew it was more than average but when I asked some colleagues how much they are paying per month mine wasn't even the highest (I don't know their unit rate)

thermostat set to 21c in the winter (victorian terrace)

lots of smart tech including 5 cameras.
Total for 2021
£1674.37
You currently have very good rates though. They could have lower usage but with higher costs.

I just worked out that on the April '22 price cap (which you'll go onto when you go to Standard Variable Rate after July), that with those usage figures, your yearly cost will be £7013. And that's before the October rise, which will see you adding 32% to that cost, so about £9257.

You need to both: bend over; work out why on earth your usage is so high. Things like leaving PCs on, TVs on, etc etc. And also why gas usage is so high - do you have smart thermostats (per radiator)? Wife/partner having 20 minute showers? Everything will need a close look.

EDIT: Just spotted the victorian terrace part... Yea, that's the killer. Drop the thermostat to 19C and start layering up.

Back
Top Bottom