Epic is giving away big games for the next few weeks again

Associate
Last year Epic gave away GTA V, Borderlands 2 Handsome Jack Collection, Ark Survival Evolved and Civilisation 6. They are doing it again this year with next week's game listed as a mystery. They are going to be large budget highly rated games, probably 4 of them to promote their summer sale, which is what happened last year. Anyone have any guesses to what they might be?

I'm going to say:

Week 1: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim Special Edition
Week 2: DayZ
Week 3: Wolfenstein: The New Order + Wolfenstein: The Old Blood + Wolfenstein II: The New Colossus
Week 4: South Park: The Stick of Truth + South Park: The Fractured But Whole

Associate
OP
What Epic considers a big game now may not in fact align with what most people consider a big game. In fact I have barely played the few good ones that they have gave away.

I was calling it a big game based upon what they did last year, which was to promote their summer sale, and there is a presumption that they are doing the same again.

Associate
OP
So in just over 3 hours we can see what the mystery game is

And with is the mystery of the second game.

And for the record (in case I am right), these are the other possibilities I think they might be:
Division 2
Doom (2016)
Forza Horizon 5 (or which even the latest one is that is set in the UK)
Witcher 3
Fallout 4
Collection of Grid or Dirt games, I know Codemasters are owned by EA now, but I think they are allowing them to remain autonomous.
No Man's Sky
Project Cars 2
State of Decay collection
A collection of Assassin's Creeds or Far Cry games
The Outer Worlds
Or maybe something like Vamyr, the Evil Within or Prey.

As for the games it will not be, I don't think it will be any main EA game, or one from Activation (ie CoD), or any popular multiplayer game like Pubg or Rainbow Six.

Associate
OP
Not trying to change anyone's opinion about basketball, but it does still make for a good videogame.

Plenty of Americans hate football but will still play Fifa games because it still translates to a good video game, the same can be true of basketball games even if you don't like basketball. The 3 point risk and reward vs 2 points blend does make for a good game.

I didn't like basketball but became a moderate fan though playing video games of it, NBA Jam alone was well worth playing whether you knew anything about basketball or not.

If it helps a Scottish Canadian invented the game when Canada had much closer ties to the UK, so it's not as American as you might think.

You might find you enjoy the games even if you don't like the sport, a bit like golf games.

That might be the case, but the point is that it doesn't make for a good headline grabbing, let's wait for the servers to crash game. Which is what happened last year with GTA V.

Associate
OP
Indeed, people will moan whatever game it is.

Whether its NBA or one of the games you listed there will always be a vocal group of people that hate it. Don't forget these games are free.

Yes that will always be true, but from Epic's perspective its not really going to make people start up their launcher and take a look. Also just took a look at that game, 39% user rating on Steam with a release date of less than 9 months ago. And from the developer's perspective its suicidal, they risk the trust of their paying player base. A player base that paid £49.99 for the game just a few month prior.

I'm hoping that it's Metro Exodus. Although I highly doubt it. It'll probably be some independent title I've never heard of.

No, that's kind of the point. The whole effectiveness of these big giveaways are for games you have heard of.

Associate
OP
Oh come on. They're doing it to get new traffic to the store not because they actually like doing it out of the goodness of their hearts. Therefore if they want my custom, they can give away proper decent games, thank you. :D

Agreed.

Lol my thoughts exactly, they give away free games on a weekly basis, anyone who complains is an entitled so and so.

The thing is its not the same as their weekly giveaway, if any of the last two games were a random giveaway it would be a lot better then a good portion of the other games they have given away. The thing is that they promised big meaningful games, such as what we got last year, but instead we got this. Also quite a few of their random giveaways have been a lot better, such as Metro Redux, Cities Skylines, Elite Dangerous, Killing Floor 2, Alien Isolation, Rage, Soma and quite a few more.

Associate
OP
Here we go again, more supposedly "big" games to promote their sale. Hopefully this time we don't get one of the worst games of the year that no one cares about or a free mobile game.

Associate
OP
On the next day image, with the little xmas icons, there is a clue to what the next days game is, that was how I guessed yesterday that todays was Remnant from the Ashes (the extra icon on the image yesterday was two entwined thorns, which are part of the title screen on Remnant from the Ashes)

Looks like a gas mask or a lantern with angel wings, could be the first two Metro games again or the first two Amnesia games again.

Here is a list a found on reddit, would be kind of a disappointment. Also Firewatch is owned by Valve.

1. Shenmue 3

2. Neon abyss

3. Remenant from the ashes

4. Undertale

5. Into the breach

6. A way out

7. Katana zero

8. Firewatch

9. What remains of Edith Finch

10. Before your eyes

11. Maid of sker

12. Spelunky 2

13. Islanders

14. Quantum break

15. Days gone

Associate
OP
I dont think its going to be metro, I dont really associate a lantern with Metro. Could be Amnesia but again I tend to think of matches when I think of Amnesia rather than lanterns. The colours are always a clue too, so its going to be something with a lantern and some yellow/orange in the artwork. Cant think of anything which leaps out at me. Metro Last Light does have yellow in the artwork but as I say I dont really think of a lantern with Metro.

It could be a gas mask, and the angel wings could signify it being a life saver. In Metro your gas man is literally your life saver, and in Amnesia the same is true if it was a lantern on hard mode.

Associate
OP
The obvious one , viking swords and shield, would be AC Valhalla, but surely thats too new/big to be a giveaway

Yeah I doubt that too. I would have preferred the usual guy that leaks the list did again this year but after all the harassment they got it's understandable they don't want to this year.

What about Vermintide? Probably 2.

Back
Top Bottom