• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Estimate on price drop on current cpus when ivy bridge release?

Caporegime
Very little if anything.

Ivy Bridge CPU's will likely just be more expensive.

And again:

You may use a signature (commonly used in email messages) in your posts. You can specify in your profile a signature to use at the bottom of your posts. When you post, there is an option to use your signature. A signature may contain one or more images but they must fit within a box with maximum dimensions of 400 x 75 pixels (width x height) and with a maximum (combined) file size of 20k. Images containing mostly very large words or animated .gifs will not be permitted. You may also add 1 consecutive lines of normal or smaller text directly above or underneath the image with no spaces inbetween image and text. If no images are used then up to 4 consecutive lines of normal or smaller text is permitted. Do not pad out your text lines with blanks lines. A line of text is defined as having a maximum length of 400 pixels. If you want to turn the signature off in the future, you can come back and edit your post. If you have specified a signature in your profile, the box will be automatically ticked for you.

The forum Dons/Admins reserve the right to judge individual signatures, particularly those deemed to contain material of an adult or offensive nature. If the Dons/Admins think the signature is unsuitable for a family orientated forum, then it will be removed. If the user then replaces it without making changes, they will be suspended.

Caporegime
They are reportedly to hit retail channels at the end of this month. As for benefits over a 2700k, the main performance increase with IB is the GPU, there are of course enhancements and refinements that make IB slightly faster clock for clock, but there is very little in it. The only other benefit to IB is slightly lower power draw/greater efficiency.

If I owned a 2500k/2600k/2700k I wouldn't be looking to upgrade to IB, I'd hold out until Haswell.

Associate
It's possibly SB will drop in price, but unlikely.
Even if it does, not by much, however there will be a ton of second hand SB floating around, at a reduced price if that interests you.

Associate
The Q6600 CPUs held their price for ages after they were superseded. Thus, I expect SB CPUs will not drop too much in price. I'm upgrading to IB from a Q6600 and wondering if I'll get anything for my CPU+mobo+RAM bundle on e-bay.

Permabanned
Yes,i think so too
g.gif

Associate
I don't think they'll drop much if at all as from initial reports if you want to OC on anything less than chilled water SB > IB.

Soldato
They are reportedly to hit retail channels at the end of this month. As for benefits over a 2700k, the main performance increase with IB is the GPU, there are of course enhancements and refinements that make IB slightly faster clock for clock, but there is very little in it. The only other benefit to IB is slightly lower power draw/greater efficiency.

..with higher CPU temps may I add

The most important feature is full PCI-E 3 support.

Define important? Don't even high end GFX struggle to even maximise 2.0 let alone 3.0?

Last edited:
Caporegime
Does IB and Z77 bring 16x/16x PCIe slots to the table? Or are you still limited to 16x/8x? That would be a bigger improvement than PCIe 3.0 IMO.

..with higher CPU temps may I add

Are they that much higher though? I was under the impression that the process shrink and voltage drop would lead to lower temps?

Last edited:
Soldato
Does IB and Z77 bring 16x/16x PCIe slots to the table? Or are you still limited to 16x/8x? That would be a bigger improvement than PCIe 3.0 IMO.

Are they that much higher though? I was under the impression that the process shrink and voltage drop would lead to lower temps?

Just going by the initial testing this guy is doing...

http://www.overclock.net/t/1242313/more-ivy-bridge-benchmarks-sandybridge-comparison/110

Of course over the weeks a BIOS update may change that but as I understand it IB uses a thinner piece of silicon than SB which would provide lower volts but also be susceptible to higher temps.

Soldato
AMD really need to pull their finger out of their arse otherwise there's really no point in Intel dropping prices since they pretty much run the processor market.

Back
Top Bottom