Estimating thermal efficiency of a UK home (any experts on U values?)

Soldato
I'm a data nerd and love measuring / tweaking things.

Given the rise in energy prices, along with optimising my combi boiler, I thought it would be interesting to try and estimate how thermally efficient my home is.

According to the EPC, which was done in 2017, our small 1985 3 bed detached is C71.

With a total floor area of 96 sq. m (it's actually a little larger than that in terms of floor area because the loft was converted, adding perhaps another 40 sq. m), the EPC estimates consumption of 211 kWh/sq m per year.

Our actual energy usage (combined gas and electric) is 7800 kWh, which equates to 82 kWh/sq m per year (using the same 96 sq m figure from the EPC). Not sure why the EPC more than doubles the consumption...

To try and estimate thermal losses, I put together the total surface area of the house (it's roughly a cube of 8m D x 6m W x 5m H with a typical roof adding another 2m) and ended up with the following
  • Total window area = 18 sq m
  • Total wall area = 145 sq m (subtracting the window area from the total wall area)
  • Roof = 65 sq m (approx. treating roof as right-angle triangle!)
  • Ground floor = 46 sq m

Assuming U-values as follows:
  • Windows (mostly old double-glazing) = 3.3
  • Walls (cavity wall insulation) = 0.25
  • Roof (loft conversion, cold loft storage) = 0.5
  • Floor (assume no insulation) = 1

Assuming Delta-T of 18 (0 outside in winter, 18 inside), I estimate thermal losses of 3200 W.

At current gas prices, that would cost £0.46 per hour to maintain constant temperature. (This is not a million miles away from what it seems to cost, although it's tricky to estimate because we don't have the heating on all the time, and it takes an initial surge of gas to get the central heating up to temperature).

If I replaced the old double glazing with new stuff, I reckon that would drop the U value of the windows to 1.2, saving £179 a year on thermal losses / heating. (That's a pretty poor return, so I think I'll leave it until they really need replaced!)
  • Can anyone who knows about U values and EPCs comment on how far out my U value / thermal loss estimates are?
  • How closely does this equate to a C72 EPC?
  • If I measure the rate of temperature drop overnight, how can I convert degrees C per hour into BTU / kWh? (I'm stumped with this one) EDIT - Gave up. Too hard to estimate as I need to know the mass of the house! EDIT - rough estimates in post below.
EDIT - Re-ran the numbers for Watts / corrected U values for W/sqm/C.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ha ha... :cry:

OK, I might have something that backs up that energy loss...

Total mass of house = 44,000 kg

Assuming:

Total Air mass = 270 m^3 * 1.2 = 324kg
Walls = 43,598 kg (area of brick * 300 kg per sq m)
Windows = 366 kg (area of windows * 10kg per sq metre for glass, * 2 for double glazing)

Typical specific heat capacity of these materials = 0.77 kJ/kg/C

Total energy required to change temp of house by 1 degree = 37,000 kJ

Temp change of 0.3 'C per hour = 11,000 kJ per hour = 3.1 kJ/s = 3.1 kW

That's damn close to the 3200 estimated by U values.

Could be a fluke and/or major errors in my working...

Soldato
EPCs a brief history.

To produce the EPC the surveyor will have carried out a reduced data sap calculation. The calculation deals with the various areas and volumes of the house, heating system, electrical consumption as well as the uvalues of the property. I don't personally deal with reduced data saps as that's a separate accreditation but I do deal with the new build ones.

Going by your calculations you've probably factored in the insulation envelope side of things but not necessarily included for your space heating fully and energy consumption from the number of light fittings. Also the calculations deal with a set number of average values for usage whereas you may use your house differently so your actual consumption may be higher or lower than the EPC stated values. Whenever I do new build calcs I find altering the insulation envelope has a minor effect on the overall calculation. You see more of a benefit changing out the boiler for a more efficient one or installing PV panels. in older properties it's more difficult to update wall insulation to improve that uvalue but an extra roll of glass wool in the attic is a quick fix to reduce heat loss through the roof.

I would say that replacing the windows for a lower valued type would make a big difference as it's the largest part of the insulation envelope that you can improve on so as a knock on effect you won't have to heat the space as much for it to remain comfortable
I'll possibly add to this later on when I'm not watching the football!

Soldato
Assuming U-values as follows:
  • Windows (mostly old double-glazing) = 3.3
  • Walls (cavity wall insulation) = 0.25
  • Roof (loft conversion, cold loft storage) = 0.5
  • Floor (assume no insulation) = 1
ht
a 1985 build would suggest you are optimistic on walls/windows

not sure how you incorporate ventialtion losses (I need to check how much less my fridge consumes, if I didn't open the door for a day)

https://www.ecomerchant.co.uk/news/a-brief-history-of-building-regulation-u-values-with-examples/

- looks like minimum ceiling&wall U value has reduced by 3x since 90's ... so should have 3x less watts lost per m2/K -
I'll have to do some measuring of the rock-wool thickness in the loft.

Soldato
OP
Thanks both!

If I use the following values, both my costs/day and rate of thermal loss calculations check out:

Roof = 0.68
Wall = 1
Floor = 1.2
Windows = 4.8

That suggests the cavity wall insulation is pretty bad (the previous owners had those polystyrene balls blown in at some stage - I still keep finding them in places!), as well as the double glazing...

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd be interested in calculations too. Just had a look at the EPC for my 2017-build house and have lots of extra figures available. Estimated usage is 101kWh/m2 (with laughable yearly estimate of £381 energy cost). Rating is a B82.

WallsAverage thermal transmittance 0.30 W/m²KGood
RoofAverage thermal transmittance 0.14 W/m²KVery good
FloorAverage thermal transmittance 0.23 W/m²KGood
WindowsHigh performance glazingVery good
Main heatingBoiler and radiators, mains gasGood
Main heating controlTime and temperature zone controlVery good
Hot waterFrom main systemGood
LightingLow energy lighting in all fixed outletsVery good
Air tightnessAir permeability 6.4 m³/h.m² (as tested)Good
Secondary heatingNoneN/A

Type of heatingEstimated energy used
Space heating3338 kWh per year
Water heating1618 kWh per year

Nice low estimate usage, but I've budgeted on 8000kWh gas per year just to be on the safe side.

Back
Top Bottom