Ethernet cable confusion

Associate
Good afternoon
Hope you are all keeping well. I am confused about which kind of ethernet cable to use at home. I am not using WiFi but only wired internet for smart TV, Sky box, Xbox and desktop PC and use the TP link to achieve this too. I currently have CAT 7 ethernet cables and find that the speed for devices is not great even though I have a fast internet connection. I tried a CAT 5e cable and found this to be better. I always though CAT 7 was the fastest? Hope you can advise what cables I should use and whether these should be shielded etc. Thanks

Soldato
Sounds like your Cat 7 cables are broken. Or your devices can't cope with Cat 7 cable. On ordinary ethernet you should get identical speeds on both types at modest cable lengths.

Associate
OP
I have the fast Virgin cable broadband but disappointed with CAT 7 on smart Tv when downloading box sets and catch-up TV. If I buy CAT 5e why should it be unshielded?

Soldato
You don't need shielded cables.

Buy Cat5e or Cat6.

Only buy cables that actually state they're solid copper (not CCA).

Avoid the obvious online market places unless you're sure what you're buying.

The fastest Virgin connection will be 350Mbps (-ish). Cat5e will do 1000Mbps at distances well beyond anything you'll be using.

Associate
OP
Thanks. What is the disadvantage / advantage of buying shielded over unshielded CAT5e cables?
Also a few articles I read said that CAT7 was the best for a smart home. Why is this?

Soldato
Domestically there's, for the most part, zero advantage to using shielded cables.

If they're recommending Cat7 without any justification they're probably just uninformed and assume that 7 must be better than 6.

Most 'Smart Home' devices use bugger all bandwidth and most are wireless anyway.

APM

APM

Associate
Cat5e will be easier to use too. The Cat6 and 7's are more difficult to terminate correctly and get around corners etc and it will be decades before you'll need their capacity.
It''s like saying I need a 12 litre lorry engine to power my washing machine,wow think of the guts that will have etc when in reality a less powerful engine is more than sufficient for the task.

Soldato
To all intents and purposes, any cable that's certified to 5 or above should perform identically in the situation you describe, unless it's faulty.

Don
Also a few articles I read said that CAT7 was the best for a smart home. Why is this?

Remember, any one can write something online. They're just picking the biggest number and running with that.

Cat5e is ample for your use.

Pick a decent brand and you can't go wrong.

Connectix / CCS patch cables would be perfect for your use.

Soldato
Buy yourself a Category 5e or Category 6 patch lead.

Anything that claims to be Category 7 likely isn’t. Don’t buy into the marketing hype.

Firstly, the speed of your interconnecting devices run at is going to be limited by the thing they connect to, now if you’re connecting them into your Router, they’re going to cap out at around 1Gig.

All your PCs and other devices will only have a 1G NIC and therefore anything above Cat5e will not provide any benefit in terms of speed.

Category 6 has a thicker CSA and the copper cores are thicker, usually around 23AWG, this helps when running PoE.

Furthermore, Category 6A or a shielded system is better for smart home environments due to it likely carrying power (shielded systems dissipate heat better) and also have a higher potential to be installed parallel to power cables which can cause all sorts of issues, shielding lessens the issue of running next to power.

E; See here about Cat7 https://nenedata.com/category-5e-6-6a-7-8-whats-difference/

Associate
OP
OK my family has a problem that they feel unwell with WIFI radiation so I am using Wires only at home for TV , xbox, SKy box and Desktop PC and the TP link plugs into an electric plug but has two ethernet ports on it allowing whole house to be on ethernet cables only, using home's electricity network. I need cables for good transmission since i have Virgins 350mbps service. At the same time I do not want inferior cables which will "leak" radiation but want fast dowloands when I download 4k TV shows on Cathcup etc.
Thanks

Soldato
Right, you are using power line adapters. These are frequently a source of issues. Plug your Ethernet cables directly into the router. You have a max length of 100 metres which is plenty for routing around walls and doors. The cables can easily slip between the carpet and skirting boards.

Soldato
No Ethernet cable is going to emit any radiation that'll affect anyone. They're specifically designed to emit as little as possible to avoid affecting other cables they're bundled with.

A screened cable is going to emit less, but if your family is that sensitive they need to be living at the top of a distant mountain inside a Faraday cage.

Back
Top Bottom