Euro trip - camping vs hotels and bike choice

Soldato
Right, bit of a question for you lot - euro trips. Say you have a few planned over this summer and the next few years, just you going so no bird or pillion passenger to cater for - would you camp or stay in hotels?

My primary reason for choosing camping is cost, if you base camping costs at £15 a night (which is on the high side for a lot of European campsites) and hotel costs at £40 a night minimum, it works out £100 cheaper to camp for a 5 day trip, and £200 cheaper to camp 8 nights out of 10 on a 10 day/night trip vs hotels every day (I probably wouldn't camp all the time if the weather was bad so allowing for a couple of days staying in a hotel).

Overall costs excluding food/drink/touristy stuff, including petrol, eurotunnel and accommodation is:

4 nights camping £200
4 nights hotel £300

8 nights camping & 2 nights hotel £450
10 nights hotel £650

Reason I'm thinking about this is that at the MCN show on the small Kriega stand, they had an 899/959/1199 with a US40 combo (US20 and 2x US10's) on the rear seat, which fitted just fine. Now if I'm taking camping kit, that's a full US30's worth just there, with the extra 2x US20's for other normal stuff, plus a tank bag. Obviosuly if I wasn't taking camping kit that would reduce my luggage needs by 30l, so a US40 combo would be perfect. Doing that opens up a lot of other bikes that may not have the 200+ mile tank range, but do have tiny rear seats not suited for a US30 (they're BIG when fully packed!).

There's the initial cost of camping but that's £150 in total for a tent and decent sleeping bag, and that would pay for itself in less than 2 trips.

I'm planning on doing a lot of trips to europe on the bike this summer and the next, Moselle valley in the summer, a 1 night quick jaunt into France in May, and a bigger trip in August or September. Then next year, 2 or 3 trips again - probably a ferry down to Santander, up through spain and the Pyrenees, and back up via the Alps along with an Alps/Dolomites trip. And of course there's the North Cost 500. I have 25 days holiday a year and only use 5 or so for other stuff so have 4 weeks to use on bike trips to Europe :)

If I'm staying in hotels then I wouldn't need the luggage space and this means I can look at other bikes as a 2nd weekend/touring bike, basically anything with some wind protection and that's comfy enough for a few hours on the motorway, like a Tuono V4, or monster 1200, or even stuff like a panigale 899 :D as opposed the multistrada/superduke GT/sporty tourers I'm looking at now. :D Oooh, superduke 1290...ahhh :D

Thoughts?

Last edited:
Caporegime
most camp sites hire tents,so that would save you humping it around

also depends on the climate ect,if cold id be more inclined to stay in a hotel/b&b

me personally id pick a bmw gs or something Japanese,just for reliability purposes

Soldato
I'd probably end up camping the whole thing as I have the kit.

Maybe hotel once in that time, or maybe once a week (twice over the 10 days)? Just for a proper shower & rest. Are you sure you have your hotel prices right? You've put 450 for 8 nights camping, 2 nights hotel and that only goes up to 650 for hotel every night? Doesn't sound right?

I'm doing Scotland again this year (North Coast 500, plus a bunch of other stuff) with the US70 setup plus Givi XS306 15L tank bag. Last year I did it with a travel back pack which was... painful :p. My Speed Triple has a tiny pillion seat and it fits fine. You only need space for the US30 as the others hang off it. My US30 will have my tent + sleeping bag in it, so not stuffed.

If you're going to do this often, then something like the GS would be ideal as wazza said (plus then you can pretend you're on the Long Way Round). They're made for it and so your pannier/luggage options are much better.

It also depends on what you prefer. Some people can ride a sports bike all day and not get uncomfortable, some can't ride them for more than a couple of hours without being crippled.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Personally I'd only pick camping if it was a one or 2 night job.
I've done my share of working at festivals and having to spend a week living in a tent and it doesn't matter how great the facilities are in terms of toilets, showers etc. you're never as comfy as in a hotel/B+B and that's without having to pack to a limit like you would on a bike.

Man of Honour
I stay at hostels as they're very cheap and way more comfortable than tents. Just remember to bring some earplugs.

Plus the Alps should be enjoyed without all that extra weight ruining the experience.

If you end up in Switzerland you're welcome to spend a night or 2 here, assuming the boss approves.

Edit: I've never had any issues with the lack of wind protection on motorways except on the German Autobahns.

My next bike will be a Tuono V4, BMW S1000R or Yamaha MT-10 and I do a lot of tours in Europe. You just can't beat the fun upright nakeds for long distance fun.

Last edited:

IC3

IC3

Soldato
I would sleep in hotels, the difference is near to nothing and the extra weight on the bike would only get in the way tbh.

Soldato
OP
I did say £15 was a bit high for most Euro campsites :p most are £5-10 a night.

Craig - 8 nights at £15 + £80 for the 2 hotel night which is £200, vs 10 nights at £40 which is £400, so £200 difference. I'd love to see a pic of your US70 setup on the speed triple if you get a chance :) Same for me with the US30, that'll have my tent, sleeping bag and self inflating mattress.

If campsites are £10 a night and hotels are £50 then then difference is even bigger, for a 10 night trip that's £500 just in accommodation, vs £100 if camping!! :eek:

Rucksacks are out, I did 800 miles with a US30 on the bike and an on R30 on my back and it wasn't comfortable, so bike only luggage is the way forward.

And as for choice of bike - I fully admit a GS would be great for touring, but as I've mentioned before I want something a bit more 'special'. It'll be a 2nd bike, not ridden in winter or commuting apart from a few nice Friday commutes in the summer and would be used for about 2-3000 miles a year touring, plus 2-3000 miles a year weekend blasts. I know that if I got a GS or similar I'd just end up using it all year round for commuting, and that would be getting on for 15k miles a year.

I'd also like something that will be comfortable enough to ride the 500 miles down to Bern in one day and not need 2 days to recover at the end :p:D

I've had to use earplugs at one campsite last year :) and camping for a week or so doesn't particularly bother me, you can always have a night or 2 in a hotel if you need a comfy bed for the night or if the weather is terrible. But not taking camping kit means you're limited to spending £40-50 every night.

If you end up in Switzerland you're welcome to spend a night or 2 here, assuming the boss approves.

Edit: I've never had any issues with the lack of wind protection on motorways except on the German Autobahns.

My next bike will be a Tuono V4, BMW S1000R or Yamaha MT-10 and I do a lot of tours in Europe. You just can't beat the fun upright nakeds for long distance fun.

Cheers, I'll keep that in mind :)

You have a big advantage over us though, you're 15 minutes from the Alps, not 8 hours! :p I'd want a big comfy barge for getting there and then a 150bhp naked for actually riding the alps, but that's not possible, so a compromise has to be made. Wind protection isn't a big deal, but after 7+ hours of 80mph some wind protection would be nice.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
You have a big advantage over us though, you're 15 minutes from the Alps, not 8 hours! :p I'd want a big comfy barge for getting there and then a 150bhp naked for actually riding the alps, but that's not possible, so a compromise has to be made. Wind protection isn't a big deal, but after 7+ hours of 80mph some wind protection would be nice.

I do week-long tours through Italy and France so don't think just because I live in the heart of the Alps that there aren't hundreds of thousands of kilometres of amazing roads for me to explore :p

Soldato
OP
I do week-long tours through Italy and France so don't think just because I live in the heart of the Alps that there aren't hundreds of thousands of kilometres of amazing roads for me to explore :p

True... doing miles of twisty roads isn't as tiring as sitting at 80mph for 7 hours if you're on the wrong bike though. I could probably handle doing 500 miles in a day on a Tuono, after all you'd get a break every hour or so for petrol stops :p

I think I'll need to get a load of test rides in over summer, anything with a big twin/triple/v4 and some comfort and see what tickles my fancy :D And I honestly don't think I could stomach paying out £400-500 just in hotel costs for a week or 2 away.

I may even look at hiring a multistrada for a couple of days over summer to see how they are to live with.

Soldato
Craig - 8 nights at £15 + £80 for the 2 hotel night which is £200, vs 10 nights at £40 which is £400, so £200 difference. I'd love to see a pic of your US70 setup on the speed triple if you get a chance :) Same for me with the US30, that'll have my tent, sleeping bag and self inflating mattress.

Will take some pics when I next have it set up (might be a few weeks though as I'm only going at end of June, although do want to do a proper test run with the setup at some point when the weather's nicer).

Man of Honour
Why would you only do one trip a year if you intend to stay in a hotel?

Cost, hotels add a lot to the price. The op campsites are over estimated and the hotels under estimated.

I usually di a mix depending what proves in the local areas rare. Sometimes you can find a super cheap hotel.

Things like THERMAREST are surprisingly comfortable and extremely small and kite, making camping much better than the old school roll up foam matt,

Soldato
OP
Why would you only do one trip a year if you intend to stay in a hotel?

Cost. A 10 day Alps trip would be £75 for the channel tunnel, £170 for 2000 miles of fuel, then up to £500 in hotels @£50 a night, then allow £15 a day for food and you're up to £900. Obviously you're saving money by not commuting to work for that week or 2, but that's about £30 for me so not a big amount.

I certainly couldn't spend £1500 this year on 2 trips as that's 4 months worth of savings, and it's not looking like I'll get a 2nd bike I want until spring next year at the moment, waiting another 4 months would be agony!

Last edited:
Soldato
Cost, hotels add a lot to the price. The op campsites are over estimated and the hotels under estimated.

I usually di a mix depending what proves in the local areas rare. Sometimes you can find a super cheap hotel.

Things like THERMAREST are surprisingly comfortable and extremely small and kite, making camping much better than the old school roll up foam matt,

Shame those thermarest ones are so expensive. I'm after a new camping mat after having bruised sides last year :p

Man of Honour

For the love of God man proof read your posts, or change your spell checker or something!!

Back
Top Bottom