Euro trip - camping vs hotels and bike choice

Soldato
I think it depends very much on the type of trip you're planning, and the amount of time you have. There are 6 of us doing the Alps this year - we want to maximise our riding time and don't want to be to laden down so we're staying in hotels (averaging £60 per night in June). Next year 3 of us are circumnavigating Norway over 2 weeks, and that'll be more leisurely and less planned. For that we're happier to not plan anything other than a direction, and just stop and pitch when and where we want. With a more leisurely pace there's time to pitch and break the tents each day, mess about with cameras, swim, hike etc. But even on that trip I reckon 2 weeks in just tents will be too much so we'll break it up and try and get a few nights decent warm and clean in a hotel or lodge.

Soldato
Cheap last second bookings with Expedia etc. Hotels all the way for me.

Time is worth more to me, not wasting it setting up a tent and re-packing for the next travel every day.

Soldato
I've done both. I love camping, but it's not for everyone. If you enjoy it, camp. If you don't, then get a hotel or you just won't enjoy the trip. Or do 2 days camping then the next night in a hotel and repeat.

I have quite a big tent that is a bit of a hassle to put up and down (but is spacious) so try and plan routes where I can stay in each place 2 nights so there isn't that effort required everyday - it is a holiday after all!

Associate
I've done both. I love camping, but it's not for everyone. If you enjoy it, camp. If you don't, then get a hotel or you just won't enjoy the trip. Or do 2 days camping then the next night in a hotel and repeat.

I have quite a big tent that is a bit of a hassle to put up and down (but is spacious) so try and plan routes where I can stay in each place 2 nights so there isn't that effort required everyday - it is a holiday after all!

This is similar to what we do. Last year we decided to 'Tour' Scotland so stayed in a hotel reasonably central and did rides out each day from there. When we went to Skye we ended up staying a night up there (meaning we were paying for 2 hotels that night) but otherwise all our gear could be left in one place.
We're hopefully heading to the Alps this August and will likely do a similar thing. Pick a base in the middle of some key areas and do daily rides from there.

Soldato
OP
To be honest the tent doesn't take up that much room, it's the sleeping bag and mattress that are the biggest things, and obviously you need to keep them dry.

@Kreeee - you mentioned the MT-10 - definitely get a test ride as the one I sat on at the London show had a seat like a plank of wood, much like the MT-09. It would NOT be comfy for a more than an hour!

Man of Honour
To be honest the tent doesn't take up that much room, it's the sleeping bag and mattress that are the biggest things, and obviously you need to keep them dry.

@Kreeee - you mentioned the MT-10 - definitely get a test ride as the one I sat on at the London show had a seat like a plank of wood, much like the MT-09. It would NOT be comfy for a more than an hour!

I didn't know they were out yet!

Soldato

Whilst I am bias owning a S1000R, I was gushing over the new Tuono in our local dealer the other day. That V4 sound is intoxicating!

Would be a really hard call between the S1000R and Tuono. I think I prefer the looks of the S1000R more but I would feel (or at least sound!) like a GP rider every time I got on that Aprilia.

Associate
After having been to festivals and camping trips with mates, I could not think of anything worse than having to pitch a tent in the rain or not have the facilities to clean up properly in comfort after a day of riding and getting sweaty in your leathers.

I think I've aged well before my time haha but in my late twenties I'd choose a hotel or at the very least a B&B to shower/sleep in just for the good nights rest and packing lighter.

On the topic of EuroTrip/touring... would I be made to do something on my ZX6R?

Man of Honour
Whilst I am bias owning a S1000R, I was gushing over the new Tuono in our local dealer the other day. That V4 sound is intoxicating!

Would be a really hard call between the S1000R and Tuono. I think I prefer the looks of the S1000R more but I would feel (or at least sound!) like a GP rider every time I got on that Aprilia.

It's going to be tough to choose between my 3 picks.

Soldato
OP

They're not, but they had one at the London MCN show at the weekend, which I sat on (as well as loads of other bikes). The very first thing that struck me was "good god, that seat is hard!! :eek:" then it was cheapness of the switchgear :(

@BenJi - you can tour on any bike, I did 800 miles over 2 days on a CB400! I was almost dead afterwards (12 hours in the saddle for 2 days will do that!), but I still did it :D

Soldato

I think you'll be disappointed with the quality if you're looking to go for an MT07/10, especially coming from a Triumph. Judging by a few of the videos I've seen of the MT07, it's an awesome bike and sounds nice, but the quality doesn't even come close to a Triumph. Seems to have lots of nasty plasticy bits.

Granted, they're way cheaper, but it still might be a bit disappointing!

Back
Top Bottom