Euthanasia need to be considered in UK?

I can’t see them pushing it through in our lifetime, I hope I’m wrong. If I’m suffering and/or have lost my mind, please just end my suffering before I lose all dignity.

I think there is a rather loud tiny minority, mostly religiously motivated, who get significant air time to give the counter argument. In reality, most people favour assisted dying, and I hope that’s reflected if there is a vote.

I think there is a rather loud tiny minority, mostly religiously motivated, who get significant air time to give the counter argument. In reality, most people favour assisted dying, and I hope that’s reflected if there is a vote.

It's that and the people who are paranoid that allowing the terminally ill the chance to end their suffering and go out with some dignity, will lead to wholesale culling of the old and sick and that anyone who goes to the doctor feeling a bit depressed will be sent to the suicide clinic.

Last edited:
It would be hard not to gave empathy in specific cases without seeing how it can and probably will be abused fairly quickly from multiple facets (from the state outright wanting to save monkey, to bad hospital staff, to bad relatives to people pressuring themselves etc).

Yet there is precious little evidence of this from other countries with legalised euthanasia. Why should Britain be worse?

This goes against my father’s experience. He went in to see his father who was on palliative care at his home and was in pain, on his last legs, and unable to communicate. The Dr told him that there was a button on the machine that would administer pain relief, and that if my father thought his father was in a lot of pain that it would administer pain relief at a much higher dose, and that would end any suffering, possibly permanently. The Dr then left the room. My dad pressed the button. 5 minutes later his father died.

Are you saying this was a coincidence or that that Dr gave my dad the chance to kill his Dad illegally? This was 25 years ago.

(I can’t remember if he said Dr or Nurse was there)
I wasn't there, I'm not saying either. I'm saying this doesn't happen today in modern clinical care.

not sure if people saw this but sounds relavant :

i think it should be an option for people. better thn hearing about older people being left to starve naturally..

i can see a number of people going for the option of their own accord, people who have been abused, people with no hope, people who have no chance of recovery. i dont think it should be an easy option or an easy out though which is what some people will see it as.

i think it should be an option for people. better thn hearing about older people being left to starve naturally..

i can see a number of people going for the option of their own accord, people who have been abused, people with no hope, people who have no chance of recovery. i dont think it should be an easy option or an easy out though which is what some people will see it as.

No hope of what? I have little hope of winning the lottery for example..

Some similalry bad cases in Canada. A number of disabled people in Canada have complained a bout a culture of encouraging the old or disabled to kill themselves. It absolutely is a slippery slope and in Canada 4% euthanase apparently which doesn't seem right to me. There will always be another exception and another, rare and only for the terminally ill in pain becomes common and for anyone that is a burden.

Some similalry bad cases in Canada.

What is bad about that case?

It absolutely is a slippery slope and in Canada 4% euthanase apparently which doesn't seem right to me. There will always be another exception and another, rare and only for the terminally ill in pain becomes common and for anyone that is a burden.

Why is 4% bad? Consider that the leading cause of death in the UK, up to 2018, was Alzheimer's and Dementia at 12.7% of all deaths. Isn't people choosing a dignified death rather than having a slow, dreadful death a good thing?

There is already evidence in several countries that there is a culture of pressurising healthy people to consider euthanasia. I find that sufficiently worrying that I don't wish to import it into to the UK. I mean plainly it will cut health service costs and improve pension balance sheets so not all bad news:rolleyes:

I mean plainly it will cut health service costs and improve pension balance sheets so not all bad news:rolleyes:
Remember the other side of the coin - big pharma just needs people to be sick but not dead for as long as possible for maximum profit - and politicians get lobbied big time so I'm not sure we can even say that politicians think cutting health service costs is a good thing. I'd fully expect the cost of ending a life (paid to big pharma ofc) to at least cover what the alive old person would have otherwise spent on drugs.

@throwaway4372 It's a matter of conscience I and others have shared our concerns why we don't support it. I understand why many support euthanasia. I don't think people who support it are necessarily bad people just because they don't share my view on the matter and I will leave it there for the moment.

Any law needs a provision so people can sign up early, so if they loose their mind, become a vegetable etc then they can be dispatched with dignity.
Why is 4% bad? Consider that the leading cause of death in the UK, up to 2018, was Alzheimer's and Dementia at 12.7% of all deaths. Isn't people choosing a dignified death rather than having a slow, dreadful death a good thing?

Back
Top Bottom