Euthanasia need to be considered in UK?

Caporegime
Yet again it will be voted down. Prolong life at any cost is disgraceful in this day and age. Suffer a prolonged and agonising death or end it humanely and with dignity? I know which I would prefer. If humans were treated the same way as our pets we would be in court charged with causing needless suffering!!

Exactly. It's the kindest thing. And it is.

When there's no hope of getting better.. Why force someone to suffer, in pain, no dignity, losing their mind etc.

Its plain cruel.

I hope it's available when it's my time should I need/want it

Last edited:
Caporegime
Could lead to a slippery slope like DNR tags.
why bother with the tag just euthanise people who can't give consent to free up beds, think o the lives it can save

covid round 2 with euthanasia sounds great

Last edited:
Caporegime
Because euthenasia without consent is murder. No need to make hysterical nonsense up.
added links for context so people don't think its some wild conspiracy theory, and most people probably don't realise how DNR tags have been used, especially during covid

Last edited:
Soldato
added links for context so people don't think its some wild conspiracy theory, and most people probably don't realise how DNR tags have been used, especially during covid
So two cases that, yes, perhaps if I was family would do the same but from one of your links:
Any decision not to attempt resuscitation legally rests with doctors, according to their regulator, the General Medical Council. They have no obligation to prolong life if they do not think it to patients' benefit.
If you want the law changed, fair enough.

And the Mail link is from a COVID enquiry with a lot of 'I think' this and 'I think' that. We'll have to see how that pans out.

I agree we need to keep damned well on top of these situations but to refer to is as a 'slippery slope' and that euthenasia will occur without consent is both hysterical and unhelpful.

We definitely should be on top of these things seeing as without euthenasia laws we've had at least one Doctor go on a murder spree. Perhaps if there were euthenasia laws that were properly monitored then that may never have happened.

Associate
I'm a big supporter of assisted dying, having watched both my parents die in pretty unpleasant ways, and being at heightened risk of the thing that killed my Dad.

However, given what is happening in Canada, I don't think you can discount the slippery slope argument. It looks like a complete dumpster fire.

I'd be in favour of a bill with a sunset clause - allow it for 24 months, the act automatically expires and MPs have to pass a brand new bill after that to provide some safeguards against some of the legitimate worries.

Caporegime
Yet again it will be voted down. Prolong life at any cost is disgraceful in this day and age. Suffer a prolonged and agonising death or end it humanely and with dignity? I know which I would prefer. If humans were treated the same way as our pets we would be in court charged with causing needless suffering!!

Don't worry, if I ever find myself wanting to end it due to suffering, I'll find out who's the most against it and paint their living room with my brains. I'm sure they'll get the message, and I'll end it peacefully like I wanted to.

Caporegime
So two cases that, yes, perhaps if I was family would do the same but from one of your links:
clearly didn;t read the whole articles and glossed over it, also I can find dozens more if you want me to spam the forum..............
Lawyers for the family said a form added to the man's medical notes last September gave the reasons for no resuscitation as "Down's syndrome", "unable to swallow" (the man has a feeding tube in his stomach), "bedbound" and "learning difficulties".

The form, which said the decision should remain in force indefinitely, showed the doctor concerned had no discussion with the patient because the patient did not have mental capacity, said the lawyers.

The man, referred to as AWA, is still alive and in residential care a year later, after his carers argued for the DNR to be removed.

its SICK, thankfully the guys still alive...... no duty of care anymore

got a disability? lifes not worth living have a DNR

Last edited:
Associate
Plucking a figure from the air, 99% of people might either die suddenly without intervention or want to cling onto life for as long as possible. Why would that need to change?
But is it worth going through the legal difficulty of all this for 1%?

I sincerely doubt that 99% of people in this country die suddenly or want to cling on to life as long as possible even when they are dying a long painful lingering death. I suspect that the proportion of people who would take the quick painless route out when they become terminally ill and no longer have any quality of life would be far higher than just 1%.

The media don't draw attention to all the people in hospices dying slowly over a period of weeks on morphine syringe drivers after months of going downhill at home. Too depressing for their viewers.

In this country, if someone is in a persistent vegetative state with a hopeless prognosis then after a certain time period medics can legally withdraw their saline drip and feeding tube so that they die of dehydration and starvation over several days. If you killed a dog that way you would be sent to prison for 6 months, but weirdly it's seen as fine for killing people!

And my worry, would always be, to what extent are relatives influenced by the Will? I have certainly seen cases where life support has been turned off and the partner went home and celebrated!

A robust legal framework would have to be designed for voluntary euthanasia to safeguard the rights of vulnerable people. Everyone should also be required to make a formal statement while they are compos mentis to say what they would want done to them if they were in a coma with no chance of recovery, or they developed severe dementia etc.

But I don't see legalised voluntary euthanasia happening in England without reform of our archaic political system first. We have Bishops still sitting in the House of Lords who would always seek to block this sort of legislation.

Last edited:
Caporegime
got a disability and dont want to continue living? tough titty, enjoy your years of pain and suffering....
Euthanasia wouldn't change anything for people unable to give consent, and the ones who can consent have options like travelling to switzerland or somewhere else

Soldato
Isnt there also talk of potential charges for anyone who assists in transporting you to Switzerland?
Yes the person has to travel on their own, which must be incredibly diffilcult. Now I've let my shotgun licence expire (would have been messy anyway) my choices will be lots of pills, launching myself off a cliff or finding a speeding train.
It would be much nicer for all concerned if someone could just pass peacefully with (hopefully) loving family around them rather than suffer a horrible, lingering death.

Back
Top Bottom