Eve question(s)

Associate
hey ho, firstly, new to the boards :p

basically, ive been playing WoW since ~ march 2005, have racked up ~130 days /played on my main, am in a naxx guild and am getting pretty burned out.

on top of this, i've started full-time employment recently, meaning raiding is near impossible, and i think its time for me to move on.

i'll be ordering a new pc asap (just waitin on my credit card to arrive >_>), and once its sorted there's a few games i've missed out on i wanna play - oblivion springs to mind. Also wanna play more CSS/DoD

After that, i'm gonna be looking for a more long-term thing. I've had eve sitting on my shelve for ages now - only ever gave it 3-4 hours before giving up after being killed by something and not having a clue what was going on :confused:

i've read a lot of good about it, and i think i'll give it another shot - though a few questions:

I assume the levelling/skills system is finite? how long would it take a player to max out level/skills?

End-game (if there is such a thing in eve :S) - am i going to have to rely on x amount of people to be online from y to z time, every day of the week, to be able to acheive anything?

also; the games been out a while now - as a starting char, will i ever be able to 'compete' with those who've been playing since launch?

Thanks in advance

Soldato
Maxing out skills in eve is near impossible, you might be able to build yourself a very good type or character but you'll not be able to do everything. I recently gave away a 2.5year old account to a friend, it's still nowhere near maxed and remember you can only really gain skills at a certain rate even when offline your character develops.

You don't really level up in the traditional sense.

Caporegime
ICEMAN133 said:
I've had eve sitting on my shelve for ages now - only ever gave it 3-4 hours before giving up after being killed by something and not having a clue what was going on :confused:

If you start from scratch with a certain char (I'll post details) you can be well on your way so to speak. The tutorial is as big as ever, it can take some people 4-5 hours and others a few nights, but the tutorial as long as it's followed will tell you the basics of operating in space.

ICEMAN133 said:
I assume the levelling/skills system is finite? how long would it take a player to max out level/skills?

Yes it is finite, but the amount of time to get there was 11years at last count and skills are always being added.

With the four races available at the moment and their four respective ship tree's the learning can go either way for your preference.

ICEMAN133 said:
End-game (if there is such a thing in eve :S) - am i going to have to rely on x amount of people to be online from y to z time, every day of the week, to be able to acheive anything?

No not at all, it's all real time. They are introducing a "Contracts" system where if a person wanted you to make 50 Rifters in 3 days then you can both sign a contract, and if you succeed then he has to pay you if you go over then you could have both previously agreed to 100,000ISK lost per hour over. He could also extend the contract so they have to be delivered to a certain station. Or you can solo roam in PvP, you can do it with friends but the solo possibilities are always there.

ICEMAN133 said:
also; the games been out a while now - as a starting char, will i ever be able to 'compete' with those who've been playing since launch?

Yes, I said that when I started over a year ago, ok I'm not as far ahead nor can I fly other races ships like they quite often can, but I am about to finish maxing out Space ship Command and Gunnery which allows me to play with the big boys in fleet engagements and small gang's. Because it's all down to specializing in a race or ship class and sticking with it you your maxed, and then you engage someone from 2003 who is also maxed and it can be down to your RL skill over EvE skill, of course the bigger the ship the longer to specialize.

Also, this post maybe merged with the larger EvE thread, so we'll be in there. :p

Back
Top Bottom