Event 51 and other errors.

Soldato
Back late November 2005, I took delivery of my new £1200 PC, put it all togather, and whoosh all is good. Fast forward to January 2006 and I begin to

experience; slow load speeds, random crashes and an Event 51 error in the log. No matter what I did I could not get the drive formatted, or windows to load,

I finally gave up and sent all the bits back to the shop for testing and every part passed, when received back I pieced it all back togather and whoosh all

is good once again, but I was £50 worse off taken postage and returning the products to me into account.

Fast forward once again to March 2006 and once again problems start to arrise and it looks like I am in the same boat again, I took the plunge and purchased

a second smaller hard drive to use for Windows, and all seemed ok until now that is, where I am seeing the most amount of errors I have ever had.

These are the range of errors I am receiving

The device, \Device\Ide\IdePort2, is not ready for access yet.
An error was detected on device \Device\CdRom1 during a paging operation.
The device, \Device\CdRom0, has a bad block.
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk1\D during a paging operation.
An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.
The driver detected a controller error on \Device\Harddisk0\D.
The file system structure on the disk is corrupt and unusable. Please run the chkdsk utility on the volume F

My system is in my eyes quite good:
XFX 256 gf 7800gt
250G Samsung sata2
80G Samsung Sata2
corsier 2 gig ram
580w Hyper modular power supply
Asus A8N-SLI Premium
AMD 3800 X2

I have looked all over the web since this problem first started, I have tried everything that is listed on these sites to try and fix these problems but my

system wont have any of it, the thing that throws me is that once reloaded its always ok for 3-4 weeks, the problems seem to arrise after the disk's have had

some use, a quick search of google shows this is quite a widespread problem:

http://www.hardwareanalysis.com/content/topic/12946/?o=0

I have now unplugged my 250gb drive and things seem a little bit more stable, but what I cannot understand is how a crash occurs when hard disk 2 contains no information being accessed, at this time I do not know if it is a mobo or hard disk problem, it appears as if Maxtor has released firmware updates for their hard disks to stop the errors.

Anyone any ideas or experiences of this?

Soldato
I got those errors once in a while, also rebooting gave me scandisk sometimes.

After buying new harddisk and changing them I haven't seen the errors since, but I don't know what caused them, I think it is either the harddiks that is dying, a IDE driver error or faulty cable.

I haven't tested the replaced drive in another computer yet though.

Associate
A high proportion of 'paging errors' there - indicative of memory problems. Perhaps not a hardware fault, it might also be a driver problem. I would try pulling one of the RAM chips and see if the problem went away.

A re-install of the OS might also cure the problems.

Back
Top Bottom