Everest

Caporegime
Even with an expert team, modern equipment and massive finances a summit attempt on Everest is still an astonishing feat of physical and mental endurance and the ratio of fatalities to successful summit attempts is terrifying.

I don't think anyone is saying it is easy, but just countering the notion put forward that it is supposedly some ultimate aim for a climber - it indeed is seemingly more of an endurance challenge and quite a risky one at that thanks to the altitude.

Associate
I don't think anyone is saying it is easy, but just countering the notion put forward that it is supposedly some ultimate aim for a climber - it indeed is seemingly more of an endurance challenge and quite a risky one at that thanks to the altitude.

Not an ultimate climbing challenge any more but certainly an incredibly impressive feat of physical and mental endurance. I just read into some posts that people were underestimating how hard an Everest ascent really is.

Soldato
ooi - what one company recommends for skills/preparation

https://everestexpedition.co.uk/everest/skills-required/
1. Start rock climbing (indoors or outdoors) with an instructor on single pitch terrain (short rather than long climbs). Start this sooner rather than later.
Timescale – from just a few sessions to 2 to 4 months (minimum) depending on how quickly skills are acquired. Many months or even years of experience will be very helpful.

2. Progress on to multi pitch outdoor climbs as a second
Timescale – 3 months to many years

C. Objective hazard to be considered

avoidance of getting clothing / hair caught in the belay device

correct way to thread a figure of 8 so that the rope can’t get caught on a rock and flip over the top of the 8
etc. etc.
.. trivialising it imhop

Soldato
Do yout think putting in peoples minds that they could do this with less than a years experience is correct/responsible though ?

looking further https://www.mounteverest.net/expguide/survivalrules.htm more salient ?
We turned around for 3 years on Everest. Surprisingly many excellent Everest climbers have done the same. To try 3, 4 or even 5 times is more common then you would imagine. And wise if the situation calls for it.

In fact, the more inexperienced the climbers, the more often will they summit on their first attempt. It's chance-taking due to unawareness of the dangers and of course it's very hazardous. You might get away once or twice with it, but it's nothing for the long-term climber. Messners summit ratio in the Himalayas was 1:3.

Caporegime
If I had ever wanted to climb Everest (can't say I ever have, tho I've been up the Alps once!), looking at that queue to get to the summit would have in any case put me right off.

Sad to see how touristy it's become. Like people queuing for a ride at an amusement park. Only slightly more risky and missing the candy floss.

Man of Honour
If I had ever wanted to climb Everest (can't say I ever have, tho I've been up the Alps once!), looking at that queue to get to the summit would have in any case put me right off.

Sad to see how touristy it's become. Like people queuing for a ride at an amusement park. Only slightly more risky and missing the candy floss.

And a lot more expensive.

Soldato
Do yout think putting in peoples minds that they could do this with less than a years experience is correct/responsible though ?

No, but the English operators are generally a lot less unscrupulous than the others and won't take you on unless you're experienced.

Jagged Globe for example say this, "To join the Everest team you will need to have extensive mountaineering experience. This should include previous high altitude experience of at least 6,000m, mixed with a multitude of Alpine mountaineering and, preferably, you will have taken part in a previous 8,000m expedition", and the other operators I've checked say similar.

Associate
A chap I know has been up (And K2). He believes most people do it for what he calls "significance" He has a book and goes go into detail about the issues with the number of people climbing Everest, and peoples motivations to do these things.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/One-Mans-Climb-Journey-Tragedy/dp/1526745372/ref=sr_1_1?crid=2RL87PZBQPZWM&keywords=adrian+hayes&qid=1559128313&s=gateway&sprefix=adrian+hayes,aps,175&sr=8-1

Also written his thoughts in Metro

https://metro.co.uk/2019/05/28/soci...nt-everest-overcrowding-says-climber-9712256/

Soldato
yes it was an honest programme and showed the stupidity that exists in some ascendees ie this Ant pratt. discussed before
I thought, what an arrogant guy, he discussed how decision at the summit to make a phone call to his wife, left him queueing for the decent,
behind 'weaker' candidates, without acknowledging it was a poor decision, that fortunaely for him, did not have too bad consequences.

Caporegime

I couldn't agree more, every man and his dog has done the London Marathon these days so they're looking for more and more extreme situations for attention seeking and bragging rights.

If they are an experienced climber and worked their way up to it then fair enough I suppose but any tourists who think doing this is a good idea should get a Darwin award.

Man of Honour
I absolutely agree. I wouldn't do this even if I could efford it. I have people to live for.

Not intending to be blasé but the only thing that really scares me about Everest is the potential avalanches/serac dangers - even icefalls in general I'm not too worried about. What kills waaay too many climbers even on fairly low peaks (I've literally seen parties barely make it off Cader Idris that shouldn't have had a problem at all if they'd been better prepared) is lack of discipline and taking proper precautions - granted some kit especially oxygen can be heavy or take up a lot of room but I've seen so many groups (even professionally run) that have the bare minimum supplies and no allowance for emergencies I just don't understand the mentality at all.

Last edited:
Soldato
Everest is basically being ruined by all the people wanting to climb it. Its covered in peoples trash and discarded equipment. Also tons of frozen poo. And oh yes. Dead bodies. There are so many unrecovered corpses on Everest that people use them as trail markers for getting up the mountain.

Soldato
OP
I find it interesting that it seems like most people die on the descent after getting to the top them making their way down.

Its called the "Death Zone" for a reason, there is only so long that you can survive up there. Some peoples limit is reached before others, even when the conditions are good.

Back
Top Bottom