• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA GTX 1080TI FTW3 STRAGE BEHAVOIR

Soldato
hello everyone new to the forum and looking for help with the above issue, not long ago(3 months) i purchased the above card from overclockers and pretty soon i bought a dell s2716dg 27ich 1440p moniter to replace my old acer 1080p screen. everything was fantasic all games looked the business and at consistant 144fps.
then i started to see weird crashes in all games listed below

the division (high settings at 100hz anyore the game freeezes and kicks back to desktop)
titanfall 2 (ultra settings 135hz)
mass effect andromeda (ultra settings 135hz)
ghost recon wildlands (high settings 135hz but showing 102fps in game)
bf1 (ultra settings 135hz)

at this point i have done very little overclocking on the card but to be safe i set everything back to stock and even changed the resolutions back to 1080p to no avail same crashes back to desktop or get this program has stopped responding please close.

i have tried the following steps incase i had a bad driver so installed DDU and downloaded the latest drivers from nvidia v385.41 but the crashes still occour, during this stage i noticed that the frame rate was capped at 135fps and no matter what i did in game to disable v-sync and g-sync the card is stuck at 135fps.
after looking online i downlaoded nvidiainspector which sows the frame limiter option is set to 143.5hz disabling this option then made the card output 144hz

the rest of my build is as followed

7600k overclocked to 5.1ghz @1.320v
asus maximus code z270 bios version 0505
corsair vengance pro led 3200mhz 16gb(2*8gb)
superflower 750w titanium modular psu with superflower xcustom red cables
samsung MZVPV256GB M.2 ssd
samsung 850 evo 1tb ssd

to be clear i have also set the cpu and ram at default speeds just in case that's causing issues but the same thing happens either overclocked or stock

any help you could give would be greatly appricated

cheers

wookiee87

Associate
One option is to reinstall windows to completely make sure
Doubt its the psu, but a possibility.. you say you have custom cables for it.. have you tried putting the originals back on?

Soldato
OP
I forgot to mention i have reinstalled windos 10 already, swapping ssd's from old build borked the code so i reinstalled and bought a new code.
i have the original cables for the psu, you think it could be a fix as easy as that?, if so will be annoyed as i paid £70 for the custom set.
will break out the original cables and report back soon.
the psu is barley 2 months old bought new from overclockers and to add to that hwmoniter displayes all psu volatges in the geen

12.194v for the 12v rail
5.004v for the 5v rail
3.312v for the 3.3v rail

cheers for the help

Soldato
OP
update just swapped out the custom cables to the gpu and replaced with ones that came with psu, been playing a couple of games (45 mins) and so far so good, havent had any crashes or lockups (usally crashes within 10 mins), but i'm noticing that the framerate is capped at 135fps even though i set refresh rate to 144hz, bit strange but at the moment so far so good.
will report back if i get anymore problems

Soldato
OP
I wouldn't have though it in a million years such a simple fix could work, been running the division now, max setings 1440p at 120fps with g-sync and have had no problems what so ever. There is a slight issue regarding the cables and thats the date they were bought checking through emails and they were purchased on the 2nd june 17, isnt that too long now to return or would overclockers be ok with it?

many thanks for the help :)

Associate
Glad to of helped, however never rule out anything. Im just glad it wasnt the gpu or the psu
Can point them to this thread of every step you had taken, they are less than 2 months old.
There is a customer service section in the main forum
Just drop a note in there and ask them to rma

V F

V F

Soldato
update just swapped out the custom cables to the gpu and replaced with ones that came with psu, been playing a couple of games (45 mins) and so far so good, havent had any crashes or lockups (usally crashes within 10 mins), but i'm noticing that the framerate is capped at 135fps even though i set refresh rate to 144hz, bit strange but at the moment so far so good.
will report back if i get anymore problems

EVGA Precision perhaps?

Soldato
OP
Glad to of helped, however never rule out anything. Im just glad it wasnt the gpu or the psu
Can point them to this thread of every step you had taken, they are less than 2 months old.
There is a customer service section in the main forum
Just drop a note in there and ask them to rma

i'm really glad it's not the gpu having spend that much on it, not to fussed if it was the psu as i'd have upped it to over a 1kw and bought a second 1080ti, will take a look at the customer service section and see where it takes me hopefully i can return them

Soldato
OP
i spoke too soon regarding the fix for the gpu, it's started the exact symptoms again, i have been in conact with evga and they have started a rma for the card.
with any luck i should get a replacment, and when it arrives i will use the custom cables again as i dont think they are faulty, as i have the cables that were included with the psu installed atm

Soldato
OP
I found that even after removing Precision X that it kept the framerate that I had set so I had to reinstall, go in and remove the cap and then remove again.

I also had problems with my FTW3 and PC rebooting when using a single PSU cable that splits into 2x 6+2 pins and resolved this by using two seperate cables running from the PSU: https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/threads/ocp.18787566/#post-31016642

i did reinstall evga precison x and the cap in the program was off, i also was running 2 seprate 6+2 pci e cables to the card a custom set first and then ones that came with the psu, i've had multiple problems most recently on startup my computer would always show the post screen and the windows loading screen but with the 1080ti installed noting would show on screen unntil i was in windows, i used display port hdmi and dvi cables but it wouldn't work, it's been returned to evga for investigation and i'm running a vega 56 and so far no problems at all, my pc shows the post screen and the windows loading logo, also all my games are stable i've had no crashing which is soo nice i can play my games again :)

Back
Top Bottom