• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

EVGA RMA for coil whine

Soldato
Picked up an EVGA 780 ti that has some real bad coil whine, it's there all the time no matter what fps, very intrusive.

What are the chances of EVGA accepting it for RMA? I know these boards have some EVGA reps maybe you guys can help.

Associate
Yeah I'll contact their CS and see what they say, they do have coil whine listed as a fault on the RMA page, just noticed it.

Ah well, go for it then! Especially if its irritating for you, it removes the point of buying their GPU, which are always a bit more expensive! But with this you pay for EVGA quality and support, which is worth the extra money, as people say, they are amazing.

Soldato
Picked up an EVGA 780 ti that has some real bad coil whine, it's there all the time no matter what fps, very intrusive.

What are the chances of EVGA accepting it for RMA? I know these boards have some EVGA reps maybe you guys can help.

You purchased it from the MM from waspy88, how about asking him for a refund if that is the case? You also said on the for sale thread "All good mate, trust updated thanks." regarding the card you purchased.

You have been after an EVGA 780ti for a long while even when other 780ti's came up cheaper you ignored them. You also don't have another 780ti from EVGA so it wasn't a matter of wanting two matching cards.

I don't want to be rude but there have been a lot of posts with people returning faulty 780ti's to EVGA and getting 980's and I have a feeling you were wanting to try your luck with EVGA.

This sort of behavior only makes hardware more expensive because of the RMA's of functional hardware and hoping for a newer better card in the process.

Also waspy88 is a pretty experienced computer user and I would have thought he would have noticed any coil whine in the time he owned the card and I don't believe he would sell on hardware that may have such a fault as you describe.

Anyways good luck with EVGA and I do hope their goodwill gestures on RMA's is not being taken for a ride.

Stick a video up with the sound it is producing when you say it has really bad coil whine and I don't mean run the card on some benchmark that will cause it to run in 4 figure frame rates as all cards and even other components in the PC will coil whine at this stage as you must know.

Last edited:
Associate
i'm one of the guys that had a 780sc and eVGA sent a 980 back!

Service from start to finish was second to non which is why im glad a spent a little extra at the time for eVGA

However my card completely died and it was registered to me within 24 hours of recieving the card from overclockers and i stated i could prove original invoice if needed, if that makes any difference?

I know the other route is guest RMA?

Last edited:
Soldato
I'd say, as you've only just bought it, and are the 2nd owner, then your first call should be with who sold it to you.

I'm with Purgatory, Ravenxxx looks like he's chancing his luck to a 980 - scumbag behaviour!

Permabanned
Honestly grow up Raven is probably one of most genuine guys on this forums making loads of deals within MM, Yes it may be his PSU but he's only saying that it's an annoyance if EVGA say to him sorry there's nothing to be done he'll probably just accept that.

However if he gets a new card that'd be great and saying it causes loads of problems for EVGA I very much doubt that, they'll refurbish the 780ti and sell them to overclockers or other retailers to shift stock.

Don't make him out to be a bad guy seriously...

Soldato
Snodge - this is what surprised me, I really enjoy reading his posts and yes he's a great Members Market member.

He started his wanted thread for the EVGA 780ti at the time when others were sending their faulty 780ti's back to EVGA and getting back 980's ..

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18695942&highlight=username_RavenXXX2

I'm not saying he's being a bad guy, but it smells foul as I said waspy88 would not be selling a card with a fault, he describes his stuff as they are, read waspy88 trust. Also waspy88 is one of the experienced users on here and owned a 980ti too and realized it was not right and was returned for a refund, he was updating from the 780ti's in SLI he had, so why would he have kept the 780ti's if they were faulty and then later sell them on.

I even looked at that for sale thread by waspy88 when it came up and would have been very happy to buy his 780ti's even the OCUK one he got at the same time as I got mine (knowing he looks after his stuff and is a experienced pc/hardware user).

I saw the thread and was going to offer waspy88 his asking on any of the two he had for sale but saw that he had other users wanting them so let them have them as they were upgrading from old cards, so tried to be nice there and thought If they remain for sale I would help out waspy88 and take one off his hands as they were sold for a reasonable price.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18699365&highlight=username_RavenXXX2

It's a loss to a company when people RMA back hardware as it costs them staff time and expense of a new hardware to send back to the customer and return postage & insurance.

So you can't say it doesn't cost a company money to deal with an RMA and worse an RMA that is not faulty and then a customer that will argue it is when it's not so they out of goodwill send a upgrade to keep the "customer" happy.

Associate
Honestly grow up Raven is probably one of most genuine guys on this forums making loads of deals within MM, Yes it may be his PSU but he's only saying that it's an annoyance if EVGA say to him sorry there's nothing to be done he'll probably just accept that.

However if he gets a new card that'd be great and saying it causes loads of problems for EVGA I very much doubt that, they'll refurbish the 780ti and sell them to overclockers or other retailers to shift stock.

Don't make him out to be a bad guy seriously...

+1 Typical of this forum to see such a scathing comment.

As said , contact the Evga CS, they are indeed very helpful, i've never myself had a free upgrade, and haven't wanted one to be honest but their turn around is fast and professional.

Associate
Snodge - this is what surprised me, I really enjoy reading his posts and yes he's a great Members Market member.

He started his wanted thread for the EVGA 780ti at the time when others were sending their faulty 780ti's back to EVGA and getting back 980's ..

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18695942&highlight=username_RavenXXX2

I'm not saying he's being a bad guy, but it smells foul as I said waspy88 would not be selling a card with a fault, he describes his stuff as they are, read waspy88 trust. Also waspy88 is one of the experienced users on here and owned a 980ti too and realized it was not right and was returned for a refund, he was updating from the 780ti's in SLI he had, so why would he have kept the 780ti's if they were faulty and then later sell them on.

I even looked at that for sale thread by waspy88 when it came up and would have been very happy to buy his 780ti's even the OCUK one he got at the same time as I got mine (knowing he looks after his stuff and is a experienced pc/hardware user).

I saw the thread and was going to offer waspy88 his asking on any of the two he had for sale but saw that he had other users wanting them so let them have them as they were upgrading from old cards, so tried to be nice there and thought If they remain for sale I would help out waspy88 and take one off his hands as they were sold for a reasonable price.

http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18699365&highlight=username_RavenXXX2

It's a loss to a company when people RMA back hardware as it costs them staff time and expense of a new hardware to send back to the customer and return postage & insurance.

So you can't say it doesn't cost a company money to deal with an RMA and worse an RMA that is not faulty and then a customer that will argue it is when it's not so they out of goodwill send a upgrade to keep the "customer" happy.

Aside from being rude your also a crap detective, try looking through some of his other threads.

Soldato
OP
EVGA warranty is there in black and white, warranty goes by the cards serial not owner. I'm not looking for an upgrade a repair or a direct replacement will do which I stated to their CS.

I have had many EVGA cards all of which have been registered with them I even have their PSU so I feel I have every right to request an RMA for what is real awful coil whine which I'm sure they will test and agree with.

Soldato
EVGA warranty is there in black and white, warranty goes by the cards serial not owner.
I'm not looking for an upgrade a repair or a direct replacement will do which I stated to their CS.

I have had many EVGA cards all of which have been registered with them I even have their PSU
so I feel I have every right to request an RMA for what is real awful coil whine which I'm sure they will test and agree with.

You've no need to explain, coil whine effects some more than others.

This is the benefit of buying EVGA, warranty goes off the serial number.

Back
Top Bottom