*** EVH's arcade machine build thread - NO EMULATION TALK PLEASE ***

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
"For the wedding guests". :D

It looks great, and congratulations on tying the knot!

You wouldn't believe how popular it was! We had it set up a small reception room next to the bar and it was in constant use from 4pm to 2am minus the period where we had speeches. In fact, lots of guests came up to me throughout the night and said how much they enjoyed it. Some people wanted me to build them one and the venue themselves asked if I made them for a living because they wanted to buy one.

The best part of having it at the venue was seeing people enjoy themselves and take part in something that didn't involve drinking. I fully expected the young children and 30-year-olds to enjoy it but I saw lots of different sorts of people playing that you wouldn't normally expect to enjoy gaming. For instance, I saw one older gentleman (mid 60s) playing his grandson and later on I caught him gloating about beating his wife :D

In order to get people off the machine at 2am (after the buses had gone), I approached a group of teens about switching it off and they demanded that I beat them before they'd get off. Was great fun, I'll see if I can get a shot of it set up in the venue.

Caporegime
That looks pretty damn cool, quite fancy putting together one of these myself one day. Didn't realise you could get these things ordered Ikea style, that certainly makes things a bit simpler. You could probably rent that thing out given the feedback you got! :)

Would be cool if they offered a racing game type kit where you could assemble the machine you saw at the wedding show, or at least a 2 player version of it. Crazy that they charge 2.5k for renting it.

Soldato
You wouldn't believe how popular it was! We had it set up a small reception room next to the bar and it was in constant use from 4pm to 2am minus the period where we had speeches. In fact, lots of guests came up to me throughout the night and said how much they enjoyed it. Some people wanted me to build them one and the venue themselves asked if I made them for a living because they wanted to buy one.

The best part of having it at the venue was seeing people enjoy themselves and take part in something that didn't involve drinking. I fully expected the young children and 30-year-olds to enjoy it but I saw lots of different sorts of people playing that you wouldn't normally expect to enjoy gaming. For instance, I saw one older gentleman (mid 60s) playing his grandson and later on I caught him gloating about beating his wife :D

In order to get people off the machine at 2am (after the buses had gone), I approached a group of teens about switching it off and they demanded that I beat them before they'd get off. Was great fun, I'll see if I can get a shot of it set up in the venue.

Great stuff. It's good to hear 2 player arcade cabs are still so popular. If your missus gets tired of it at your gaff then I'm sure you'll have no trouble finding someone to take it off your hands.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Very nice. A Bitcade cab I assume?

This would be my go to Launchbox/Bigbox theme I think, at least until I see something nicer.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uJytMsde-A&t
Yeah, it’s a bitcade kit.

I’m not a fan of the wheel style for cycling through games. I’ve deliberately chosen to use an “all killer, no filler” batch file to pull out several hundred arcade games from my full set and even then the cycling seems excessive. At the moment I have 1800 games give or take and that’s more than enough.

On a smaller platform (I tend to limit the newer consoles where the games are several GBs to about 100 games per system) the vertical cycling feels like it goes through the games too quickly for me.

That said, I’m sure I’ll get bored of my theme and want to switch it up so never say never. I’ve actually got this theme installed :)

Soldato
Very nice, impressive how much the kits have come on now for these things. Out of interest does LaunchBox provide video previews of the games? Still running Hyperspin on my main cab but I haven't updated that in years.

Caporegime
Such a thing probably doesn't exist, but couldn't the marquee be replaced with a screen of that size and then it can change based on the game which is loaded? :D

Soldato
Loved it up until the point I saw an LCD monitor. :mad:;)

I've got a 1980s JAMMA cab with an old Athlon 2600+ PC which I built about 16 years ago. The cab with all internals but no game board only cost me 12 euros (arcade machines weren't popular in Germany then). It needs a new joystick now but this thread has made me feel like recommissioning it again.

(Get a proper CRT arcade monitor, it makes all the difference)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Very nice, impressive how much the kits have come on now for these things. Out of interest does LaunchBox provide video previews of the games? Still running Hyperspin on my main cab but I haven't updated that in years.
Yes, videos are automatically downloaded with the game metadata. I just don’t use that particular view :)

Back
Top Bottom