****EVH's house building thread****

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.

xrs

xrs

Associate
Things are looking really good! I am most impressed, I probably never would have the confidence to build my own home. I hope it works out for you!

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Onward and upwards as they say..

img0721big.jpg

First view of our garden in the last thumbnail. It tapers around to the left, but the boundary actually goes back another 1m or so. You can see where it should be from the brown fence that the neighbour has up. For the sake of work I'm leaving it as-is until the house is sorted.

img0731big.jpg

First look at the rooms upstairs. As the majority of the walls mirror those downstairs, we just got the builders to carry on straight up. This means we get more solid walls and will cut down on the expensive partition/wood work.

From left to right.. spare bedrooms on left of house, smallest room aka Office (;)) at front right of house, looking at the bathroom, and the stairs.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
Looks nice. It's interesting how building methods differ througout the country. I've just completed a build myself in Scotland, it's almost impossible where I am to find someone that want to build in block. Everything seems to be timber frame kits now. While in England the opposite seems to be true.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Second real milestone.. the topping out. Complete with fashionable orange ladder®

img0749big.jpg

Boring stuff now. We went for a regular, basic grey tile. The alternative was a rough dressed welsh slate but the difference was hundreds more and the pitch of the roof meant it wouldn't really be seen unless you stood in the garden of the old lady opposite!

img0757big.jpg

All guttering, fascias and window frames are white.

Man of Honour
Why the engineering brick corners? Edit; Ignore looked thru the photo album very nice finish to it! :)

Just to play devils advocate :D On the ground floor did you consider the hall way going right through with the toilet underneath the stairs? Currently if you are in the lounge and you fancy a cuppa you have to go around the whole house :p

Looks a descent build keep the pictures coming!

Last edited:
Man of Honour
Very cool.

Love house building stuff/threads.

Just a shame land is so hard to get and planning permission.
Which government would force councils to sell of self build plots. Say like 5% of their hthotal house plots or something.

Soldato
Smashing. You've got to have ambition to undertake a project like this, but it's definitely worth it. What will it be valued at when finished, about £250k?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
I just meant so you didn't have to point the remote at the ir thing, :p

It's in the ceiling anyway ;)

Looks good EVH. You'd better decorate it well to do it justice.

Thanks for the kind words. The wife has declared herself the interior designer so I'm hoping the same thing! Thankfully we both have similar tastes.

Where we don't I just whinge and she accepts.

Looks nice. It's interesting how building methods differ througout the country. I've just completed a build myself in Scotland, it's almost impossible where I am to find someone that want to build in block. Everything seems to be timber frame kits now. While in England the opposite seems to be true.

I wanted to go timber frame and had designs drawn up, but at the back of my mind was resale value. As you say it differs all over the UK, but what suprised me was it would have worked out the same cost anyway.. which is why we plumped for tried and trusted blockwork.

Fascinating stuff.

Will this be house no. 5150 when finished ? ;)

Ha!

Smashing. You've got to have ambition to undertake a project like this, but it's definitely worth it. What will it be valued at when finished, about £250k?

I hope. Next door went up for sale a few months ago for £230k and it's a tiny smidgen smaller.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Next up, the last stage before the house is water tight.. the windows and doors.

I am fortunate enough to work for a glass manufacturer, so I get my choice of glass at cost. Nom nom.

img0881big.jpg

Temporary fire door with hefty locking system fitted, to preserve the proper front door (and side screens) from damage during building.

For those wondering, the red box outside is a diesel generator that provides electric.

img0924z.jpg

Render is actually a "white" :rolleyes:

Takes about 8 weeks to dry completely, which isn't helped by constant downpours or the bad colour correction.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
On to the stuff that most people care about.. the interior.

Apologies with the spam-tastic pictures of the outside, but there won't be any more changes for a while so it's best to get them out of the way.

img0865big.jpg

Not many pictures of the stud work upstairs. As mentioned above, most of the walls are solid block. Pictures include bathroom and doorway to the master bedroom, main bathroom, partition for 2 bedrooms on left of the house, the double width cupboard above the stairs (as I mooched all the room under the stairs, it was deemed we needed a place for shoes :o) and the ensuite wall that backs on to the office.

img0939big.jpg

I wanted all the equipment and gadgets to be hidden as much as possible, and decided that the TVs in the living room, kitchen and master bedroom would be best if they were wall mounted. One quick stop at ebay and I nabbed some decent brackets.

The one in the living room is suitable up to 60" (which is handy as I have a 60") and the kitchen and master bedroom brackets both swing out on an arm, so I placed them on 1/2" plywood surrounds to gauge the positioning. I don't want the TV too high or too low, so getting this right was critical.

Also shown is the utility room (where the consumer unit will be) and the partition wall of the main bathroom where the speaker cables, and the cables running to the roof pass through. Top tip: always mark routes for future reference!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom