****EVH's house building thread****

• Thread starter Deleted member 651465
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Looks very smart...really do get value for money doing it yourself.

I hope I can get some idea for my new house from this thread! Seems like you have the same ideas as I have regarding the AV.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
img0929big.jpg

Some more close ups of the TV brackets. The main picture being the one in the master bedroom.

I have run 4x CAT6 (purple), 1 WF100 (green) and mains to each tv location. The CAT6 carries HDTV on 1 pair, so that leaves 1 pair for expandibility e.g. ethernet TVs and a phone line connection, or another TV!. The WF100 is a foam filled satellite grade coax, to fall back on.

I know many people say to run 2x coax to each TV but honestly I was losing the will to live cabling this house.

The break down of the cabling, for those who are interested..

Living Room
17 x CAT6
7 x speaker
1 x screened RCA (sub)
2x WF100

Kitchen
15 x CAT6
2 x speaker
1x WF100

Utility
2x CAT6

4x Bedrooms (each)
11 x CAT 6
2 x speaker
1 x WF100

Bathroom
2 x speaker

Ensuite
2 x speaker

img0961big.jpg

1. Van Damme 2.5mm2 speaker cable
  2. Canare LV77S screened subwoofer cable
  3. CAT6 LSZH (low smoke zero halogen)
  4. Webro WF100 coax

Currently sitting in a big box, on the floor of the downstairs toilet.

The IR cable in each ceiling terminates at a standard CAT6 socket. This minimises the problems of straight termination and should be easier to sort if problems arise. Connected to the socket is a 3.5mm jack to CAT6 adaptor, in to which the IR sensor plugs in. It sounds more complicated than it really is, but I thought the ceiling would be a better mounting position than a wall socket, as there would be some serious forward planning to avoid putting the sockets in a place that might obscure the remote.

Last edited by a moderator:
Associate
I wanted to go timber frame and had designs drawn up, but at the back of my mind was resale value. As you say it differs all over the UK, but what suprised me was it would have worked out the same cost anyway.. which is why we plumped for tried and trusted blockwork.

Your house looks great mate, it's a credit to all involved.

I know what you mean about the resale of timber frame. People in england recoil in horror at the thought of buying such a house. But up in Scotland it's just the norm. I believe it's partly to do with our building regs being tougher with regards to U values than those in England. The timber frame provides quite a lot of insulation. Some people up here are even going a step further and using SIPS, we were not brave enough to do that.

Putting all that cat cabling in was a great move, it'll give you so much flexibility in the future. Had similar plans, but the budget went to rat poo and it got dropped.

Haing watched many grand design episodes I assume your wife got pregnant half way through the build, it seems to be the done thing! :)

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Next stage is the plasterboarding. The ceilings upstairs were done when the roof went on, but this first picture shows the main living room.

Speaker cables (blue) are dropped down in the relevant positions. I tried to keep all measurements equidistant from light fittings to maintain visual symmetry. The blue pull rope is taped on to the ceiling IR jack as it is very fragile and I didn't want it getting damaged during plastering / painting etc.

img0948big.jpg

Shock horror.. a first problem!!

img0951big.jpg

The plasterer was convinced that he'd put the boards on the wall properly, but at the end of the living room the boards were 2 inches from the socket. He claimed the house was not square, and that the builder was at fault. His suggestion was to triple board the walls :o

We got the builder round and there was nearly a punch up, but it was agreed that he'd dropped the ball and would have to re-do it. The picture above shows where the plasterboards have been ripped off. Thankfully it was only the 1 wall in the living room.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Your house looks great mate, it's a credit to all involved.

I know what you mean about the resale of timber frame. People in england recoil in horror at the thought of buying such a house. But up in Scotland it's just the norm. I believe it's partly to do with our building regs being tougher with regards to U values than those in England. The timber frame provides quite a lot of insulation. Some people up here are even going a step further and using SIPS, we were not brave enough to do that.

Yeah, that's the big advantage (U values) but I had choice of glazing so I went with the top spec units and a good window profile which gives us good u -values, so it's a happy trade off after I bottled it ;)

Putting all that cat cabling in was a great move, it'll give you so much flexibility in the future. Had similar plans, but the budget went to rat poo and it got dropped.

I hope so! I was going to run fibre but a) I don't have access to a splicer anymore b) been a few years since I used one anyway c) ££££

Haing watched many grand design episodes I assume your wife got pregnant half way through the build, it seems to be the done thing! :)

Funny you should say that.. she is!.. due in October, hence the deadline :D

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
Sooo, after the balls up downstairs the plasterer decided to start upstairs while he ordered more boards for downstairs. The CAT6 cables were bagged up to prevent them getting grubby with adhesive etc. I also left several notices not to bend them. To be honest I think I did his head in, but if you're relying on it for several years you want it done right.

In this picture you can see the hatch to the loft. It's 400mm wide and 600mm long. It's a killer to squeeze my 6ft 1" frame up there, so I'm applying to get it widened with the building inspector, because we'd have to cut some trusses to do so. I also don't fancy getting the Christmas decorations up and down that gap.

img0975big.jpg

The insulation is actually sound insulating, as it was on offer at the builder's merchants. I suspect it'll come in handy!

img0954big.jpg

Once the upstairs was boarded, the downstairs was done.

This is a shot of the kitchen aka temporary storage area prior to boarding.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

OP
img0991big.jpg

I don't know if it's the hormones, but the wife has agreed that the right hand end of the kitchen (marked dining room on the plans) can be a gaming den / seating area. I hope to take advantage of some USB -> CAT6 adapters for the PS3 / console accessories.

We've already bought a double sofa so there's no going back now :eek:

img0955big.jpg

Next stage.. pink plaster!

Soldato
Loving it. I used to do this sort of stuff for people building new homes, all the network, LAN, speaker cabling, etc. Some serious good money in it. Most electricians will offer it as a service but few know that not all CAT cables should be bent!

Associate
Great looking house you will have there.

Well done on choosing to build from the ground up. I’ve been helping do a large renovation and extension for a few years now and it’s a right pain, so much better just to tear it all down and start a new.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom