Exchange server?

Permabanned
In our small business we have a handful of adresses, currently 4, all collected on respective staff machines direct from internet.

If we were to implement SBS wee could set up exchange, however im failing to see why on earth we would want to, will it actually bring anything to the party or would it be a waste of time?

Associate
In answer to your quesiton I'm not sure, but instead of laying out I'm guessing a small fortune on setting up an exchange server, why not use a Hosted Exchange option. At least that way you could try it out and then implement your own exchange server if you really wanted to keep it in house.

Permabanned
OP
Exchange is part of SBS so it wouldnt cost anything we wouldnt already be paying to implement SBS, however im not even sure that will bring many benefits.

Soldato
If you are going to go for SBS then there is no reason not to, but I wouldn't bother specifically for 4 addresses.

It also depends how much "sharing" of data, calenders etc... public folders are very useful as are many of the other features of a domain environment.

Permabanned
OP
Our need was a decent backup solution for a handful of machines and our server, we currently use XP on the server but this was shot down (in the enterprise section on here) as silly and we ought to be using SBS...

Associate
Well what backup solution have you considered? Correct me if I'm wrong, but SBS isn't going to backup your machines for you - you'll still need a third party app to do that. I'd agree that XP isn't a "server" operating system, but if you don't *need* a server OS then why bother getting one?

Remember, a server OS does not make a server machine.

Soldato
If you have SBS, migrate to Exchange.

Single Instance Storage reduces backup size and overall data usage. All the other features of Exchange you may or may not use, persistent presence of mailbox makes things like out of office far more effective.

Caporegime
If you have SBS, migrate to Exchange.

Single Instance Storage reduces backup size and overall data usage. All the other features of Exchange you may or may not use, persistent presence of mailbox makes things like out of office far more effective.

Exchange brings OWA and Outlook Anywhere to the table too, assuming you don't already have a webmail facility (OWA will be better anyway, but that's by the by).

Associate
Exchange might be free with SBS as a service but it isnt free to the connecting clients?

I'm sure you would also need to purchase additional CAL's, and for 4 machines, I personally think its a waste of money based on your replies.

Permabanned
OP
We have webmail but never bother to use it as we are office based, if we go out on business then we dont really care about emails on the move or anything!

Caporegime
We have webmail but never bother to use it as we are office based, if we go out on business then we dont really care about emails on the move or anything!

Are you sure you are a business, or just a bunch of people who attempt to provide a service?

You don't use calendars? - So how do you accept client schedules sent by email?
You don't use email unless in the office? - So how do you keep in touch when you are on the move for work?

I'd say there is no point in getting SBS at all, let alone implementing exchange.

Exchange might be free with SBS as a service but it isnt free to the connecting clients?

I'm sure you would also need to purchase additional CAL's, and for 4 machines, I personally think its a waste of money based on your replies.

SBS comes with 5 user CAL's.

Soldato
I'd do it. It's also worth considering business growth too. Yes, more CALs would be needed but they aren't the end of the world. Exchange brings a host of nice features as has already been said such as OWA, OA (my iPhone users love it), meetings, centralised backups, etc.

Soldato
Wedont bother using calendars, we have the ability to either write it on the paper one, or talk to each other!!!

Pffft...way to live in the stoneage gramps :D

Paper...wtf?!

Haha, but seriously as everyone has said, you might aswell have a crack at implementing Exchange as there are plenty of benefits that outweigh your current "technological solution". If you have already got SBS...

Permabanned
OP
Are you sure you are a business, or just a bunch of people who attempt to provide a service?

You don't use calendars? - So how do you accept client schedules sent by email?
You don't use email unless in the office? - So how do you keep in touch when you are on the move for work?

I'd say there is no point in getting SBS at all, let alone implementing exchange.

SBS comes with 5 user CAL's.

Er yes, we a re definately a business, been running for 17 years, limited company turning over, well, lets just say its "considerable" for a small company! We are market leaders in our sector, so more than just "a bunch of people" thanks!

We are a secondary company, we take raw items and turn them into finished products, rather than providing a service like a tertiary company and as such are not on the road, we work in our office and if we go out to a meeting we dont really need email, its not a vital part of our working day - we are mail order so post and telephone is the most important.

Clients dont send us schedules by emails, we deal with hundreds of thousands of customers every year, year on year, i dont care what their schedules are ;)

Back
Top Bottom