Expiry dates on food

Associate
Hi, are there any food items which can be used even after their expiry date has elapsed? For example a loaf of bread or a point of milk, can they be used a day or two after the expiry date? Also if bread is frozen and then defrosted, how long will it last and does it have to be kept in the fridge after defrosting. Can milk be frozen? thanks

Caporegime
Generally speaking when food go bad, it takes a while, it doesn't go from perfect to rot just because the clock struck midnight. Trust your nose, if it smells bad, then it probably is bad.

I keep bread in the freezer for AGES, take 2 slices out straight into the toaster to make toasts.

Milk I tend to just smell it, when milk goes bad, it's very easy to tell.

Caporegime
depends what you mean by an expiry date

best before date is more advisory

a use by date though (especially with seafood, cooked meats etc..) isn't a good idea to go over

Soldato
Hi, are there any food items which can be used even after their expiry date has elapsed? For example a loaf of bread or a point of milk, can they be used a day or two after the expiry date? Also if bread is frozen and then defrosted, how long will it last and does it have to be kept in the fridge after defrosting. Can milk be frozen? thanks

With bread if I freeze it 2 days before it's expiry then I give it 2days out of the freezer.

Milk, frozen or fresh play it by nose.

Soldato
Bread does not smell bad but if you not careful it will produce ergot, which is an alkaloid so trippy days so to say. :D

Caporegime
They’re all advisory, some moreso than others (best before). Just snif, look and and feel it before eating/preparing.

For bread, cakes etc the worst that will happen is you’ll know it’s off as it’ll taste like dirt, if you don’t see the mold before consuming. Fruit and veg best before dates are irrelevant (If they even have them). Cheese, I’m not sure it can really ever go bad, if it’s starts going mouldy on the outside just cut it off and eat the rest as usual. Cooked ham goes slimy (still edible even if a little slimy) and starts to go grey/green and smell when it’s off.

Raw meat is quite obvious when it’s off as it’ll stink and go slimy too. Steak/beef going grey doesn’t mean it’s bad btw.

Off milk won’t kill you either, and you’ll know it’s turned when you sniff it. It’ll clot up eventually and you may even be able to make cheese... :p

I think the only think I’d be particularly careful with is seafood and raw chicken. Pretty much everything else is self explanatory.

Soldato
Off milk won’t kill you either, and you’ll know it’s turned when you sniff it. It’ll clot up eventually and you may even be able to make cheese... :p

I think the only think I’d be particularly careful with is seafood and raw chicken. Pretty much everything else is self explanatory.

Off milk and cheese is fine and dandy, as you say you have to be careful with chicken, seafood and also pork as it will take you the cleaners in no time. :p

Soldato
I will eat anything past the use by date if it still looks and smells ok. I do it probably at least once a week as well. In fact tonight I have a tuna steak that was supposed to be used yesterday (still unopened & sealed). I'll give it a sniff and a close look and if all is normal i'm eating it.

Associate
There are generally 2 life issues with food over life - organoleptic and microbiological. Organoleptic is taste, texture etc. Microbiological is self explanatory and can make you ill. When foods are generally given a shelf life these two factors are considered.

Organoleptic will be the perceived quality of the food - and will likely not harm you. Micro likely will. Micro growth is generally prevented at <5c, hence we refrigerate or freeze foods.

When a shelf life is determined it is designed to ensure the food is 1. microbiological safe to eat, and 2., of maintained quality. Frozen foods may or may not be great to eat, but will microbiological be safe to eat within a day or two of defrost, provided they were safe when frozen, and remain refrigerated.

Generally foods fall into several categories - Chilled, Frozen and ambient. Ambient are required to have a shelf life on them, usually a year, even though if kept packaged and sealed many can typically can last many years longer. Frozen can also be the same as microbiological growth will be inhibited. Chilled (refrigerated) and produce, are the items which will typically go bad and present a risk of ill health.

Roughly anyway from a guy who makes food for a living.

Last edited:
There are generally 2 life issues with food over life - organoleptic and microbiological. Organoleptic is taste, texture etc. Microbiological is self explanatory and can make you ill. When foods are generally given a shelf life these two factors are considered.

Organoleptic will be the perceived quality of the food - and will likely not harm you. Micro likely will. Micro growth is generally prevented at <5c, hence we refrigerate or freeze foods.

When a shelf life is determined it is designed to ensure the food is 1. microbiological safe to eat, and to, of maintained quality. Frozen foods may or may not be great to eat, but will microbiological be safe to eat within a day or two of defrost, provided they were safe when frozen, and remain refrigerated.

Generally foods fall into several categories - Chilled, Frozen and ambient. Ambient are required to have a shelf life on them, usually a year, even though if kept packaged and sealed many can typically can last many years longer. Frozen can also be the same as microbiological growth will be inhibited. Chilled (refrigerated) and produce, are the items which will typically go bad and present a risk of ill health.

Roughly anyway from a guy who makes food for a living.

ok, genuinely interesting, but from a guy that makes food for a living do you believe we should adhere to the dates on food packaging? Chilled foods I would probably consider high risk, should I eat my sealed unopened potato salad that is 5 days past it's use by date or bin it?

Associate
ok, genuinely interesting, but from a guy that makes food for a living do you believe we should adhere to the dates on food packaging? Chilled foods I would probably consider high risk, should I eat my sealed unopened potato salad that is 5 days past it's use by date or bin it?

I believe you can eat foods after the dates on the packaging, but common sense should be applied. microbiological risks cannot always be seen immediately, and food can be 'off' before a visible change in it. We make and sell frozen and chilled foods. The frozen foods have 18 months shelf life and will remain safe to eat for potentially years after, though the quality may deteriorate, and this depends as much on the quality of the freezer as the foods. Chilled foods we make have 8 to 10 nights life, and microbiologically will typically become unsafe after 11 or 12 nights. sometimes this will be visible as moulds, or notifiable as a smell. On some drier chilled foods however they will be unsafe to eat, but exhibit no signs after 20 to 30 days. increased water content generally promotes visible signs, while drier food often maintain apprarance for longer. this is only a rough guide though.

PH, available water, salt and sugar contents greatly effect the safety and preservation of foods. water content of less than 14%, PH of less than 4.2/3.8 and high sugar / salt contents will prevent microbiological growth and preserve foods. hence well packaged crisps, nuts, jams, pickles and sauces (as examples) can often be shelf stable for years.

Salads, inc. potato salad etc. generally have shorter shelf lives as they are usually not heat processed prior to leaving the factory - they are classed as ready to eat and will have micro contents of 10^3 or 10^4. Heat processed foods will leave the factory with a lower micro content, typically 10^2. Inevitably lower micro contents generally mean foods will last longer. Additionally as mentioned, salads are classed as ready to eat. you eat them without further heat processing in the home and are relying on the micro state from the factopry to be low. Other foods, such as ready meals, pasties etc, which will generally start with a lower micro content are classed as ready to cook - you heat them as per validated instructions in the home which further heat processes the food and makes it safe to eat - provided micro toxins have not built up through previous micro growth, such as botulism. Hence ready meals etc. often have longer shelf lives than salads, inc. your potato salad. I would not eat a potato salad which is 5 days out of date.

Botulism killed by heat processing, but leaves toxins which will make you very ill, by contrast e coli is killed, but leaves no toxins. hence e coli (and Listeria) is (usually) an issue in ready to eat salads, meats, etc. not foods cooked properly in the customers home.

long answer - Apologies.. hope it makes sense.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom