External HDD/caddy for Backup

Associate
Hi,

I've just had a scare with my laptop where it wouldn't boot (fixed with recovery disk thankfully) but it's kicking me into sorting out a backup which I have neglected until now.

Longer term, I think I'd like a NAS with some scheduled backups over the network, but in the shorter term I think I want something portable. This can the also be used in the longer term as an "offsite" backup which I can leave at work.

As a backup, reliability is the key concern. On top of that however, I think I want something fast (backing up a lot of data, probably in bulk), I'd like something rugged (things get dropped) and I quite like the idea of a caddy which I can swap drives in/out of (though feel free to convince me I don't actually want this).

Can anyone please suggest what might be a good investment? Is there anything that I haven't considered?

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

Something like a WD Red is quite good for reliability and they are made to undergo intense amount of usage. They usually come in large capacities too, I personally have a 8TB Red Pro which i'll use as a backup

Back
Top Bottom