External water cooling

Associate
Anyone water cool using external radiators anymore?
I am having to reduce my pc footprint and thinking about using a smallish case but with external water cooling to better utilise space and cooling.
I do like the Aqua computer and aquasuite so would be interested in seeing or hearing ideas
Hardware is 9990k and a RTX3090 tuf gaming card on a maximus XI formula board
Thx

Soldato
Same hardware as you with the 9900k and 3090. Using a Phanteks Evolve Shift X with a MO-RA3 360 radiator.

Im cooling the cpu on a 240 internal radiator and the MO-RA3 360 is cooling the gpu externally. Small footprint but utilising space on my desk just like you want it.

I had to downsize my board though so looking for a ITX Z390 board was a little tricky and expensive!

0ilvjBe.jpg

Associate
OP
I'm sure that there was someone on site who had/has a build using a D5next pump in the middle of a couple? of external radiator/ thingy but cant remember what it was!

Associate
OP
possibly- I only remember that the D5 next pump was in the middle of the two radiators on a external mount thingy- think it was white but my brain isnt what it used to be :D:D

D4N

D4N

Associate
possibly- I only remember that the D5 next pump was in the middle of the two radiators on a external mount thingy- think it was white but my brain isnt what it used to be :D:D

Sounds like mine. I’ve got 2 Alphacool 280x45 radiators in an enclosure I made in a V shape at about 30° angle so that it’s free standing, with a D5 next mounted on a Heatkiller reservoir.

I like having external cooling to keep some of the heat out of the case. I did used to use just the external unit, but now I’ve got additional radiators in the case since I changed it, and can run the external for a separate GPU loop if I want, but I usually have it in one big loop with all of the rads together.

50909023661_bd1c717e0d_z.jpg

Associate
I also have a D5 Next with Ultitube connected to a NexXxos 1080 (a cheaper version of a Mo-Ra3, 45mm thick). I have the external radiator sitting to the site of the open air case purely for aesthetics (I wanted a really raw, industrial look). My case is a Core P3, and the pump/red is on the case.

Previously this was an external solution for a small case that couldn’t fit the rads inside but I just loved the look and kept it.

https://ibb.co/L8qwTZb

Motherboard is an insane monoblock z490 Aorus Xtreme Waterforce. i9 10900KF. RTX 3080.
L8qwTZb

Last edited:
Man of Honour
My rads are in a filtered box sitting on a windowsill drawing outside air through them. At first it was done because I was in a 6x4 foot converted double cupboard and I needed to get the heat out of the room. Now that I have moved my pc into the spare room I just couldn't give up the low temps that I get running my loop this way so stuck with it although this is the 4th evolution of my rad box.

Man of Honour
My rads are in a filtered box sitting on a windowsill drawing outside air through them. At first it was done because I was in a 6x4 foot converted double cupboard and I needed to get the heat out of the room. Now that I have moved my pc into the spare room I just couldn't give up the low temps that I get running my loop this way so stuck with it although this is the 4th evolution of my rad box.

Had any condensation issues on cold days?

Associate
OP
Sounds like mine. I’ve got 2 Alphacool 280x45 radiators in an enclosure I made in a V shape at about 30° angle so that it’s free standing, with a D5 next mounted on a Heatkiller reservoir.

I like having external cooling to keep some of the heat out of the case. I did used to use just the external unit, but now I’ve got additional radiators in the case since I changed it, and can run the external for a separate GPU loop if I want, but I usually have it in one big loop with all of the rads together.

50909023661_bd1c717e0d_z.jpg
That’s the very one:D

Associate
OP
I've got a D5 next pump lying around somewhere, a reservoir I think and a load of fittings, I have a number of fans as well (Noctuas 140) so just need to look for the radiator, a couple sets of quick releases and maybe some bar for a frame and will see where we go! Just will also need to work out the best route for the loop as well so watch this space

Associate
i had 2x360mm rads inside my 011 air and downgraded my case to an nr200 but wanted to keep the watercooling so i mounted the rads onto some plastic garden decking and stuck them under my desk. at most i have 2m of tubing and i use a DDC pump and its running perfectly. only cpu atm but it was vega 64 and cpu and kept cpu to low 60s and lower and gpu to below 60s. removing the gpu seems to have done nothing to my cpu temps though.

Soldato
Did this a while back, zero desk footprint with a power button under my desk by my legs to switch it on :) temps never went over 36 degrees on cpu or gpu and couldn't hear anything (ryzen and vega 56)

Soldato
I've been running an external setup for a year or so, initially a single XE360 in addition to my internal PE360 and TX360 and then a second external XE360.

Recently bought a Mo-Ra3 connected via some quick disconnects. Still have the PE360 mounted in the top of my case which allows me to use the PC still if for whatever reason I need to disconnect the Mo-Ra3.

My case looks a little bare without the rads, but it has allowed me to fit my GPU in vertically.

Soldato
Working out how to at present. I like the look of the aqua computer controllers. Controller, pump, fans and some sort of power supply outside the case, all based off water temperature. Currently stuck on powering it without adding a whole ATX PSU.

Back
Top Bottom