F1 Season Buildup/Testing/Car Launches

Man of Honour
Not sure it would have helped, it was the massive deceleration (i.e. hitting a solid object from a high speed) for his brain that got him rather than the physical impact iirc? I think it skimmed the top of the helmet but the airbox did the actual stopping.

Soldato
Ah, I thought I could remember there being contact with his helmet. But that's very true, the huge force from the sudden deceleration is what caused his injuries. It's a shame they didn't stick to using a screen like they have in IndyCar. Looks so much better and would stop the tiny fragments that a halo can not.

LzR

LzR

Associate
The reason I asked my question was because it seems the halo has been enforced to stop any further loss of life, but there doesn't seem to have been any such losses to refer to.

I don't mean to play devils advocate but I'm struggling to see the point?

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

Ah, I thought I could remember there being contact with his helmet. But that's very true, the huge force from the sudden deceleration is what caused his injuries. It's a shame they didn't stick to using a screen like they have in IndyCar. Looks so much better and would stop the tiny fragments that a halo can not.
Blame Vettel for that. When Ferrari trialed the screen he said it caused too many reflections which were distracting :o

Not long to Australia now anyway. Can’t wait to see what the teams really have to offer.

Caporegime
Main problem with a screen is how to deal with spray/fogging/dirt that gets on it.

The same way they do in WEC, tear offs? WEC cars often run for half race distances in F1. They could easily have tearoffs that need to be removed from any aero screen. It might also make pit stops longer but that's not a bad thing. It's getting to the point where the front Jackman is in danger and won't be able to get out of the way any faster soon and I predict it's only a matter of time before a car leaving the pits clouts the front jack and it goes flying out of his hands.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

He reported getting dizzy which you would never want in an F1 car. Fairly more serious than just being "distracting".
No doubt, but it didn't seem to be given the same level of due diligence as Halo has.

I couldn't see any issues with it here, so maybe just a personal thing?

On topic: Force India looks cool. McLaren should take note at the good use of sponsorship. Red Bull just looks like a.n.other RB livery.

Back
Top Bottom