F1 Testing 2019: Week 2 Barcelona (26th - 1st)

Permabanned
Well them final times make it interesting. Both teams i imagine still got a lot to show.

Less than a tenth off last year's pole position. These cars meant to be slower?

The cars in Abu Dhabi 2018 were faster than the cars in Barcelona 2018. Don't know by how much, though. Can be a second, can be two seconds...

Man of Honour
Ferrari looking strong, but doubt we have seen everything from merc. I suspect it will be very close between them. Hopefully Mercedes have more race pace than last year. Can’t wait for oz.

Soldato
Mercedes are always deemed as the underdogs and behind in development but I'm not buying into any of it, I still think they will be the team to beat come Melbourne.

Permabanned
Fastest lap from testing:

https://streamable.com/deds7

Looks absolutely planted.

This means the balance is great.
Is there the Mercedes' virtually identical lap, too?

Very easy to drive and it wasn’t that great a lap either with a couple of missed apexes. It’s going to be hard to beat.

Isn't the Ferrari F1 car always (historically) the easier car to drive?! Even in the PC F1 games the Ferrari is easier to steer to the left and right.

Deleted member 651465

D

Deleted member 651465

This means the balance is great.
Is there the Mercedes' virtually identical lap, too?
All reports I've read or heard say that the Mercedes doesn't look anywhere near as balanced in the fast corners. In fact, it's been described as liable to under steer.

Make of that what you will, but the general consensus seems to be that Ferrari have got a great car this year and Merc are having some setup issues/basic balance problems.

Isn't the Ferrari F1 car always (historically) the easier car to drive?! Even in the PC F1 games the Ferrari is easier to steer to the left and right.
I wouldn't base your argument on a computer game :p

Soldato
So had a good day at Testing last Thursday, early flight out from Heathrow and at the track by about 10AM.

We had access to one of the hospitality suites above the pits where Racing Point and Ferrari were, which gave us a good vantage point of the pitlane.

Pq0GXYO.jpg

I then went for a bit to watch what was going on in the garage and spent a good 10 minutes just watching the data/telemetry screens as the car was out on circuit which was absolutely fascinating, the amount of data collected is scary, and then comparing to others as well as previous years. The smells and noise in the garage were pretty intense.No pictures allowed here, I then went out to watch just outside the Williams garage on the pit apron itself.

Video of williams coming in for a practise stop.

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Y48suUfP4mCru2JQ6

Over lunch Robert Kubica came up and gave a talk about the forthcoming season, if any of you saw his interview in the testing reviews last week he very conscious of his hand/arm which is quite withered, but hopefully he will be able to overcome it.

After lunch I went for a bit of a walk around the track and sat up at Turn 8/9 Grandstand for half hour or so, and then came back and spotted Grosjean, Eric Boullier, Seb Vettel, Alain Prost, and then just before going back into the suite queued up for the toilet when George Russell came out, I got a quick picture with him who a) makes me look a short arse and b) makes me look really old.

Ncigbmr.jpg

AICCM90.jpg

Then spent a bit of the afternoon again in the garage and then up in the suite watching what was going on whilst trying to work out who had crashed (Gasly) as the pictures on the feed were as sketchy as those on autosport.

Video of a Ferrari practise stop.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/3s8BfSV5nppHjQ2B9

Back
Top Bottom