• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fable Legends: AMD and Nvidia go head-to-head in latest DirectX 12 benchmark

Soldato
As DirectX 12 and Windows 10 roll out across the PC ecosystem, the number of titles that support Microsoft’s new API is steadily growing. Last month, we previewed Ashes of the Singularity and its DirectX 12 performance; today we’re examining Microsoft’s Fable Legends. This upcoming title is expected to debut on both Windows PCs and the Xbox One and is built with Unreal Engine 4.

Like Ashes, Fable Legends is still very much a work-in-progress. Unlike Ashes of the Singularity, which can currently be bought and played, Microsoft chose to distribute a standalone benchmark for its first DirectX 12 title. The test has little in the way of configurable options and performs a series of flybys through complex environments. Each flyby highlights a different aspect of the game, including its day/night cycle, foliage and building rendering, and one impressively ugly troll. If Ashes of the Singularity gave us a peek at how DX12 would handle several dozen units and intense particle effects, Fable Legends looks more like a conventional first-person RPG or FPS.
There are other facets to Fable Legends that make this a particularly interesting match-up, even if it’s still very early in the DX12 development cycle. Unlike Ashes of the Singularity, which is distributed through Oxide, this is a test distributed directly by Microsoft. It uses the Unreal 4 engine — and Nvidia and Epic, Unreal’s developer, have a long history of close collaboration. Last year, Nvidia announced GameWorks support for UE4, and the UE3 engine was an early supporter of PhysX on both Ageia PPUs and later, Nvidia GeForce cards.

Test setup
We tested the GTX 980 Ti and Radeon Fury X in Windows 10 using the latest version of the operating system. Our testbed was an Asus X99-Deluxe motherboard with 16GB of DDR4-2667 memory. We tested an AMD-provided beta driver for the Fury X and with Nvidia’s latest WHQL-approved driver, 355.98. NVidia hasn’t released a beta Windows 10 driver since last April, and the company didn’t contact us to offer a specific driver for the Fable Legends debut.
The benchmark itself was provided by Microsoft and can run in a limited number of modes. Microsoft provided three presets — a 720p “Low” setting, a 1080p “Ultra” and a 4K “Ultra” benchmark. There are no user-configurable options besides enabling or disabling V-Sync (we tested with V-Sync disabled) and the ability to specify low settings or ultra settings. There is no DX11 version of the benchmark. We ran all three variants on both the Fury X and GTX 980 Ti.

ZP0tyxd1azIqdVs936dhAqs7TMSdddTr479b5WPE28A

989mbUhpV_ZW-4Uu9mt-MkKXgAhgU_yildxy1N6SAXQ

HrmrDi4VS3syoIKkj0oln5h70MimxMqJtCL-kFKuTm8

http://www.extremetech.com/gaming/2...o-head-to-head-in-latest-directx-12-benchmark

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
You could have quite easily included your 2nd post in the 1st?

The +1 stands just fine :)

Like it matters? I already clicked post and besides I using phone. Much faster and easier to just reply to thread.

Get a grip mate you getting defensive over nothing. No wounder this forum goes off topic so fast it's these pointless back and forth over what? Because I posted my input after OP?

Wow.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
A good thread although I have to agree with Stanners and you knew what you was doing Shankly and unsurprisingly, AMDMatt and Tommybhoy all singing off the same sheet.

Anyways, it is good to see AMD doing well in this one as they are not doing so well in AOTS but would be good to see what is what by users. Hopefully we can get hold of the benchmark soon and see if results stand fair on this one.

What ever floats your boat.

Soldato
OP
What I find head scratching is how in AOTS - DX11 gets more frames than DX12 on Nvidia. I know Mantle was great for AMD and gave some great performance boosts but still didn't overtake Nvidia (DX11), so it just shows how well Nvidia had DX11 coded or how badly DX12 is on Nvidia at the mo (pick one).

I think it is great to see a couple of early DX12 demo's and bench's but truthfully, it is far to early to call and I expect some massive improvements once devs and drivers are matured for DX12.

It take over take Nvidia DX11 stop kidding yourself. Benchmarks on here speak for themselves and yes I am ignoring runs that needs some heavy OC. For the Avg joe Mantle was far better performance to anything else.

Soldato
OP
What I find strange and I have said this before on this forum. Since when did Overclocking become real word numbers?

Its one reason I dont follow overclocking bench thread great for competition but that where it ends.

Its not what you get out the box. One reason you see all my results are from stock it tell people a much bigger picture!

I also pointed out we should have stock bench runs but I was shot down because this is a Overclockers forum lol Yeah everyone who buys from here Overclocks there hardware.
Not a chance we are small fish when it comes to overclocking.

Just looked at all of our Mantle Vs DX11 bench results and Nvidia are winning all of them, so stop being blind. And discount overclocking on a site called Overclockers as much as you like, the numbers are there and they don't lie.

You correct number don't lie, but you also need to understand these are not real world numbers..

Back
Top Bottom