Fact or Fiction

Associate
surely the fuel doesnt need to flow at all and is either pumped or under pressure ?

They need to do something a bit clever to get fuel out of the tank in a F1 car. I remember reading an interview with a F1 team engineer a while ago, who said one of the biggest challenges they face with fuel is keeping it flowing when cornering because the fuel sits all up the side of the tank, so they can't just pump from the bottom of the tank like road cars. It didn't say how they do it though.

Associate
They need to do something a bit clever to get fuel out of the tank in a F1 car. I remember reading an interview with a F1 team engineer a while ago, who said one of the biggest challenges they face with fuel is keeping it flowing when cornering because the fuel sits all up the side of the tank, so they can't just pump from the bottom of the tank like road cars. It didn't say how they do it though.

a team of midgets with straws. This sounds like a job for mythbusters or topgear... how hard can it be?

Soldato
Simple, saddle tanks.

Think 'Titanic' and bulkheads

Soldato
the new regs did lower the downforce, but there already not far off the old level, such is the pace of F1

I never understood why there're so many regs surrounding F1. Safety regs, fair enough, but surely the point of F1 is to be the pinnacle of performance cars, and should therefore be able to use whatever designs/features the teams decide on to improve performance?

Caporegime
I never understood why there're so many regs surrounding F1. Safety regs, fair enough, but surely the point of F1 is to be the pinnacle of performance cars, and should therefore be able to use whatever designs/features the teams decide on to improve performance?

The amount of spoliers and aerofoils was just getting silly.

Back
Top Bottom