Fact or Fiction

Soldato
They need to do something a bit clever to get fuel out of the tank in a F1 car. I remember reading an interview with a F1 team engineer a while ago, who said one of the biggest challenges they face with fuel is keeping it flowing when cornering because the fuel sits all up the side of the tank, so they can't just pump from the bottom of the tank like road cars. It didn't say how they do it though.

the tanks are always full, they are concentric they should shrink to replace any volume used preventing what would be some very nasty side wash and a heavy baffled tank.

Hxc

Hxc

Soldato
But the question is..... would it take off if on a tredmill?

Damnit how did I not see the post two above. Beatenn :(

Associate
I'm skeptical.

Aside from the fact the engine wouldn't run long upside down. Would the traction remaining be enough to sustain x mph against the drag?

If the car weighs (for argument's sake) 700Kg, and at a certain speed generates 1400Kg of downforce, then the traction available at that speed will be the same as if the car is stationary. (1400Kgs sticking it to the roof minus 700KGs pulling it down)

This would make an awesome Mythbusters ep! :D

Man of Honour
I think its true as the down force is so great. I remember hearing a couple of weeks ago on the F1 weekend that if they ran with Monaco aero set up (i.e. the highest), the car wouldn't have enough power to get to 7th gear due to the down force being so high.

It would need a different fuel tank though :p

Associate
Not too sure if 70mph is correct given the mass of the vehicle and the radius of the tunnel but in theory the centrifugal forces should be able to counteract normal gravity force and contact forces.

That is nothing to do with centrifugal force, which is a common misconception. The force that would keep it to the wall in this situation would be centripetal force, the inertia of the car wants to go straight on, the wall causes it to turn so then you have a force of centripetal acceleration going inwards to the center.

Back
Top Bottom