• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fake Intel CPU's

Associate
Has anyone heard of fake Intel CPUs, Ive come across ppl selling Intel Core I9-9900K Cpu 1151 for 400 quid

if you bought a cpu for a low price would the info come up on the BIOS to say what it really is?

a lot of info online re fake intel cpu,s

Will it be identifiable?

Associate
I have also seen that listing on the bay but to save £69 and have no warranty i cannot see why people would take the risk. Buyer protection through paypal would be vital. They have also sold around 5 of them and received positive feedback. The seller has probably just acquired a tray of OEM chips but its just a shame hes going to get bent over with the ebay/paypal fees.

Are the fake versions just not blank pcb with a ihs attached ?

Soldato
Yes you would be able to tell in bios.

You get (or did) 180 days buyers protection. But you should still have a year with Intel. I did read they now ask for a receipt so I'm not sure they will take a eBay one?

Soldato
never say never,

i'd imagine there just a tray of oems that someones got from somewhere legal or otherwise

but after seeing the rise in fake gpus the last few years i'll never say its not entirely possible someone is knocking out fake 9900ks

Permabanned
This as well. Bios or software will spot a fake. You can't change the name of a CPU. Or not to my knowledge.
With some and devices and even GPUs, they can have a name change if the bios is flashed

i would think with the right knowledge you can. the Chinese are selling budget ram with hyper X heat sinks on thats been flashed to read out the right info in CPU's

Soldato
i would think with the right knowledge you can. the Chinese are selling budget ram with hyper X heat sinks on thats been flashed to read out the right info in CPU's

Oh yeah there will be a way.

It's like all the cars/van and other tech is being stolen. Always a work around but I don't think it's happening with CPUs. You would notice the power difference and less cores. If the core count was the same it wouldn't be worth the effort Vs profit

Soldato
Oh yeah there will be a way.

It's like all the cars/van and other tech is being stolen. Always a work around but I don't think it's happening with CPUs. You would notice the power difference and less cores. If the core count was the same it wouldn't be worth the effort Vs profit
I agree that you won't be seeing it with CPU's. It is different to RAM in that you have different kinds of the same speed memory; there is only one type of a particular CPU i.e. 9700k.

Soldato
Some people had started to swap the heat-speaders(IHS) since the 9900k came out. Usually buying from amazon, do the swap and then return as amazon didn't have the proper checks for returns.

it could be the people are still swapping the IHS but instead of returning they sell it on. So you end up with a 6700k, for instance, with the 9900k ISH on and they have a 9900k with the IHS of the 6700k.

I0ve not heard anything for weeks now.

Associate
Some people had started to swap the heat-speaders(IHS) since the 9900k came out. Usually buying from amazon, do the swap and then return as amazon didn't have the proper checks for returns.

it could be the people are still swapping the IHS but instead of returning they sell it on. So you end up with a 6700k, for instance, with the 9900k ISH on and they have a 9900k with the IHS of the 6700k.

I0ve not heard anything for weeks now.

I got an i5 6600k from Amazon after ordering an i7 8700. The seal was broken and whoever exchanged it didn't bother trying to hide their tracks. I guess Amazon just doesnt check these things (it's visible without even opening the box).

Deleted member 209350

D

Deleted member 209350

If its only a little bit cheaper than the standard price, chances are they are real and for whatever reason its being sold cheap.

If they're A LOT cheaper than the rrp, then its almost certainly fake. Either that or stolen goods that need to be sold quickly

Permabanned
i have just been on the ebays having a look round and found a sell from HK selling 4790k's for £182(about the right price), but they have blue PCB's?
i have never seen an intel CPU with a blue PCB? i notice the seller put postage at 45 days plus.. would this not put you outside the ebay time limit to open a dispute and or return case?

Soldato
Some people from the east are now putting soldered CPU's on a PCB to be used in a socket. These are laptop low power parts that are soldered to the motherboards, which they are de-soldering and putting on the new 1150 PCB's.. LTT did a video on it a week or so ago.

Soldato
would this not put you outside the ebay time limit to open a dispute and or return case?

yes, but not PayPal. They're 180 days.

I grabbed a "X6 1090T" from an eBay seller and then life got in the way and didn't touch it for 52 days. Turns out he'd sent me a Athlon II X2. After much crying and essentially blaming me for not checking earlier I couldn't open a dispute with eBay because it had been more than 30 days, so went through PayPal instead.

The downside to that though was I had to return the item at my own expense in order to get a refund. Slowest post imaginable from me cost a couple quid, but if you're shipping back to HK then no doubt it'd be a different matter.

Soldato
I purchased a 5960x that turned out to be a 5820k that had been either IHS swapped or more likely a fake IHS applied (they are available cheaply enough). eBay issued a full refund after intel confirmed the situation from other chip markings and the seller threatened to burn my house down. In 20+ years of buying/selling parts on eBay and other platforms.

Back
Top Bottom