Fallout TV series being developed by Amazon

Soldato
Had ads in the middle of every episode which was annoying but I figured if you skip to the end of each episode it will play the ads then you can skip to the start and it won't play the ads

Enjoyed the show especially the reveal in the finale, can't believe the night & day difference between this and the crap that was rings of power

Soldato
Really, really enjoying this so far.
I think what is telling, is the team that made it respected/liked Fallout, and have tried to make Fallout as best as they could, for the screen; not take the name, make something else and just bolt the characters/names to it like so many do, but have actually set the series in the world, at a rough time frame, and told thier story in the world, rather than changed everything to make an obvious out of place story fit. As much as thier were quirks, it FELT like Fallout, and felt like they'd tried to be reasonably authentic to the setting. Also really glad they highlighted how bad Vault-Tec are, and how different vaults were from one another; as that is a core point mentioned throughout the series, especially when you see vaults other than the one your character comes from.

Probably one of the best adaptations I've seen in a very long while, even if occasionally the CGI is a little iffy.

Think it's also quite cool they apparently actually went out and built wearable T60 suits really early on to get a feel for the size etc, because it's such a core aesthetic/design for the series; even though Bethesda didn't tell them to do it.

I actually really wish the Witcher series had shown this much love for the setting; it'd probably have been a much better show, and have kept Cavill.

Honestly though, video game show that actually pays respect to the source material/universe does well shocker. What a surprise, right?? Who'd have thought a show that doesn't completely alienate the fanbase might have a chance at success!

Last edited:
Soldato
I've watched three episodes but just cannot get into this. I just can't seem to connect with the characters, the humour or the 50's B-movie aesthetic.

I've never played the games, so in that sense I'm probably not the target audience, but I do usually like a good post apocalyptic / dystopian sci-fi. Guess not this time.

Anyway, I'm glad that it seems to have stayed faithful to the source material, for those that wanted that. Definitely something that doesn't happen very often these days.

Caporegime
I've watched three episodes but just cannot get into this. I just can't seem to connect with the characters, the humour or the 50's B-movie aesthetic.

I've never played the games, so in that sense I'm probably not the target audience, but I do usually like a good post apocalyptic / dystopian sci-fi. Guess not this time.

Anyway, I'm glad that it seems to have stayed faithful to the source material, for those that wanted that. Definitely something that doesn't happen very often these days.
That's how far I got and I felt same as you, just couldn't get into it but usually always love post apocalypse stuff.
I really didn't like any of the characters.. Maximus was especially bad.

I've played the older games and loved them. And can only assume the humour/style is more like newer games as (to me) it doesn't match the vibe of FO3/NV

Last edited:
Caporegime
Finished it and thought it was ok, like the style of the series if not the actual story. Cooper was the only character that vaguely interested. I didn't think much to maximus or Lucy. Thought both were pretty crap, my god does she have massive eyes. She's like Maz Kanata from Star Wars but I guess the big eyed look worked for a character that had to look naive and confused all the time. I'd give it another series to see if I could care about any of the factions or leads.

Associate
Loved the show, for some reason first few episodes had multiple adverts (first time watching anything on prime since they brought in adverts and they were infuriating, really broke the immersion of being in the world - I almost cancelled my prime membership in the 2nd or 3rd episode) but then for some reason didn't get anymore. Did wonder if it was because Amazon could see I'd viewed the cancellation page wouldn't put it past them!

Last edited:
Soldato
Loved the show, for some reason first few episodes had multiple adverts (first time watching anything on prime since they brought in adverts and they were infuriating, really broke the immersion of being in the world - I almost cancelled my prime membership in the 2nd or 3rd episode) but then for some reason didn't get anymore. Did wonder if it was because Amazon could see I'd viewed the cancellation page wouldn't put it past them!

Will have to give the cancellation page drive-by thing a try because the ads are really intrusive. If there must be ads (because Amazon are so broke, lol) I don't mind them at the start of episodes. But multiple mid-roll ads wreck immersion in a show. Perhaps they should stop blowing billions on developing half-baked video games and shows if it's so unsustainable they have to insert ads.

If it wasn't for the way they bundle the video with their Prime delivery service, then I'd absolutely cancel. I suspect they know this is true for a lot of people and are trying it on with the video ads. But I wonder if it will backfire when people do the sums.

Caporegime
If it wasn't for the way they bundle the video with their Prime delivery service, then I'd absolutely cancel. I suspect they know this is true for a lot of people and are trying it on with the video ads. But I wonder if it will backfire when people do the sums.
Yep, if they just did a prime sub for delivery I would take that and not be interested in TV or music or the other add ons. When mine comes to an end I'm cancelling and just doing prime for december.

Soldato
I quite enjoyed it but probably preferred playing a couple of the games. Felt it ran out of a bit of steam towards the end of the season.
7ish/10.

Caporegime
Even though I said this doesn't interest me, a few friends have already binged this and don't seem to stop banging on about how good it is. They, like me, have never played the games.

Watched episode 1. I'm intrigued enough to watch the next episode, before deciding if it's for me. Most of the episode was good. The blurry camera effect in the top and bottom fifth of the screen is already annoying me though. I skipped the "coming this season on Fallout", I hate it when shows do this. Clicked episode 2 and striaghtaway got hit with 45 secs of adverts (episode 1 was ad-free). Will continue tonight. if I continue beyond episode 2 i'll just pay 1.99 to remove the adverts for this month!

rp2000

Soldato
I think I got hit with adverts on one or maybe two episodes in the middle, doesn't seem to be much rhyme or reason to how they're choosing whether to show ads or not at the moment, though i'm sure there's a very clever algorithm somewhere deciding how best to target each user :p

Caporegime
Episode 2 done. No more adverts apart from the 45 seconds at the beginning, so I'll keep going without paying up (if it stays like that). I'm not 100% hooked, story wise, but visually it's quite cool exploring this new universe.
The comedy seems a bit out of place and the gore a bit over the top, but maybe that's the style from the games. Some things I can tell are call outs to videogames, even though I haven't played these specific games.

Out of curiosity, and without spoilers, which game in the series is most similar to the TV show? It's unlikely I'll go out and buy it, but if it's playable on PS5 and downloadable for cheap, I might give it a try (after I finish the TV series).

rp2000

Soldato
The story lifts elements from Fallout 3,4 and New Vegas most heavily, with a touch of the older titles.
New Vegas is probably the best content wise, but 4 is the easiest to get and to play (both are on Gamepass, but NV/3 are considerably older and more finicky to run well etc)

The TV show is set after all of them, so as not to interfere (beyond canon ending etc); I think 4/NV are the ones to look at though.

Last edited:
Soldato
Fallout 4 and New Vegas are both set in the 2280s. Fallout 4 actually comes after New Vegas but in a different area of the US.

Devs have said that chronologically the city thing that happened mentioned in the show, happened very close after the end of New Vegas, so likely prior to Fallout 4.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom