• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Fan Clicking on RTX 2070

Associate
Hey all,
Was just looking for some advice, I got an RTX 2070 a year ago before the release of the 3000 series and it has been great, but it has had this occasional clicking that happens every 20 minutes and sometimes gets really loud (the noise is akin to touching a spinning fan with a finger). has anyone else had any experience with this? the card is a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 WindForce X2 rev1.0

only posting here for help before trying to send it for repairs because from past experience the repair time has been about a month (had this with a faulty PSU in the past) and I really need the GPU for work, (editing pc for video and photo). Also worried I won't able to get it fixed with all the parts shortages, I know it might just be a fan but still just worried because if it can't be fixed there are no replacements to be sent (the card is still in warranty)

Functionally the GPU has worked fine aside from the clicking and occasional noises, but I'm just worried if this is something that I should really bite the bullet and try to get it fixed or if there are any home fixes?

thanks for any help hope my message wasn't too convoluted :confused:

Associate
Not sure what your problem is since the noise is only every 20 min. I think you might need to add more details to your story. However if you find its the fan, this might help:
I had a problem with a slightly clicking fan on a Zotac 2080TI. the solution was to order a genuine fan from a 3rd party and replace the faulty one myself (using youtube videos). I had to do this as Zotac would only offer a monetary refund and a new card is impossible to find for my budget.
Fan replacement is worth considering if you have no better options.

Best of luck
Julian

Associate
^ Hi. I had the same GPU and after 5 months it did the same to me. I took it back to the place where I bought it for, as they offered full refund and got a 2080 then :D.
The issue on mine was from the middle fan, which spins in the opposite direction. Only in low-mid use of GPU was clicking; like it was stuck or something. As soon as the GPU was boosting higher RPM the fan was spinning alright.

Try a manual fan curve, to make the fan spin @50% always or something on those lines, and see if the issue repeats.

Associate
Not sure what your problem is since the noise is only every 20 min. I think you might need to add more details to your story. However if you find its the fan, this might help:
I had a problem with a slightly clicking fan on a Zotac 2080TI. the solution was to order a genuine fan from a 3rd party and replace the faulty one myself (using youtube videos). I had to do this as Zotac would only offer a monetary refund and a new card is impossible to find for my budget.

Best of luck
Julian

How technical would you say this is? I fear my Zotac 2080Ti might be taking a similar turn...

Associate
OP

Best of luck
Julian

I mean the noise gets really loud and I'm worried its going to damage the fan or something

seems like this is regular issue, might look into replacement fans

Associate
Hey all,
Was just looking for some advice, I got an RTX 2070 a year ago before the release of the 3000 series and it has been great, but it has had this occasional clicking that happens every 20 minutes and sometimes gets really loud (the noise is akin to touching a spinning fan with a finger). has anyone else had any experience with this? the card is a Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 WindForce X2 rev1.0

only posting here for help before trying to send it for repairs because from past experience the repair time has been about a month (had this with a faulty PSU in the past) and I really need the GPU for work, (editing pc for video and photo). Also worried I won't able to get it fixed with all the parts shortages, I know it might just be a fan but still just worried because if it can't be fixed there are no replacements to be sent (the card is still in warranty)

Functionally the GPU has worked fine aside from the clicking and occasional noises, but I'm just worried if this is something that I should really bite the bullet and try to get it fixed or if there are any home fixes?

thanks for any help hope my message wasn't too convoluted :confused:
I had a 2060 Super Windforce and I can tell you that the easiest potential fix is to get a GPU metal support which will help to reduce the sag. I am guessing your card has only got a plastic backplate? Anyway, the shroud design is ass and prone to vibration at certain fan speeds, not necessary close to the top end of spin rate.

Back
Top Bottom