• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Far Cry 6 GPU performance not bad at all but is severely bottlenecked by CPU

Soldato
OP
^^
That goes both ways

when they make the game they choose sdr or hdr as the baseline and color grade the entire game for that. Then the other option is just straight tone mapped which makes it look bad

So a game that was color graded in sdr will look bad in hdr and a game graded in hdr will look bad in sdr

In saying that, sdr color grading is more forgiving - a game graded in sdr but played by the user in hdr will look a bit dark and over saturated but not too bad. A game graded in hdr but played in sdr will look very bad, completely washed out.

the complicating factor in all of this is nowhere where I've looked on any store do they advertise in what color bit rate and dynamic range a game was graded for.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Its 32gb. But it doesnt include the HD texture pack.

I just found the texture pack, its listed as DLC. The HD texture pack is an additional 40gb lol

Base game: 32gb
Base game + HD texture pack: 72gb

Caporegime
I'll be getting it on console, like Poneros says a proper HDR display will make a far bigger difference to graphical quality than slightly sharper textures. People on here saying that FC6 looks bland are watching SDR videos on 250-300nit monitors and will more than likely game on them.

PC's are just not good value anymore, you can pick up a quality 800nit OLED or 2000nit LCD TV which both produce HDR as intended for the price of a decent graphics card and it will **** all over the high resolution texture pack when it comes to visual fidelity. Unless you run your PC through a similarly capable TV you'll be missing out on the graphics as they were intended no matter what textures you use.

It's not possible to show the benefits of HDR to someone watching through a display that doesn't do it either at all or very well, it'd be like trying to demonstrate colour picture to someone through their black and white TV.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
They have gigabit lines down there? Surprised, I remember when I was there back in 99 and went to buy some game magazines and they were all issues 2-3 months old :cry:

We have up to 8gig connections (I can choose 1gig, 2gig, 4gig or 8gig). Bit pricey though, translates to 120 pounds per month for 8gig up and down with unlimited data (1gig unlimited data is 40 pounds a month)

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
We have up to 8gig connections (I can choose 1gig, 2gig, 4gig or 8gig). Bit pricey though, translates to 120 pounds per month for 8gig up and down with unlimited data (1gig unlimited data is 40 pounds a month)
Not bad, not bad. I am paying £25 a month for my 216meg line. Could get 1gig but would be a waste of money for me as for now I find what I have more than fast enough for my needs.

Caporegime
So much for 10gb vram being an issue again eh....... ;) :p :cry: Onto the next title please! :D

Looks like my original expectations were correct, although was expecting amd to have more of a lead when ray tracing not used but alas, still time for that to change with future patches and drivers:

rkf7rNT.png

YqpROqL.png

Such a shame ray tracing is being held back so much for amd sponsored games, they should at the very least give us a choice of how intensive we want ray tracing effects to be, for obvious reasons, will never happen though. Hopefully nvidia keep sponsoring more games to push the tech. to it's max.

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
I know this is a meme at this point but it seems a 3080ti is pegged near 100% load so more VRAM wont change much.

So yeah you was right 24gb VRAM 3090. :p
I do not trust these things as some games eat up all the VRAM you can give them, does not mean it needs it. COD games are like this from what I have read and I remember when playing Final Fantasy 15 it would eat up all the VRAM it could on my 12GB Titan at the time. Yet it ran just fine on 11GB 1080Ti and even on 8GB 1080.

These days you can setup MSI Afterburner to show you the difference between what is allocated and what is actually being used also. Some games the difference is very small, others much bigger.

Last edited:

TNA

TNA

Caporegime
So much for 10gb vram being an issue again eh....... ;) :p :cry: Onto the next title please! :D

Looks like my original expectations were correct, although was expecting amd to have more of a lead when ray tracing not used but alas, still time for that to change with future patches and drivers:

rkf7rNT.png

YqpROqL.png

Such a shame ray tracing is being held back so much for amd sponsored games, they should at the very least give us a choice of how intensive we want ray tracing effects to be, for obvious reasons, will never happen though. Hopefully nvidia keep sponsoring more games to push the tech. to it's max.
Hold on, not watched the video, but you saying the HD Textures work fine even on 8GB cards?? If so then LOL :cry:

For a moment Grim had me believing I would need to download more VRAM again :p

Oh and look at that, my 3070 kicking the 2080Ti's butt with it's 8GB VRAM :D

Caporegime
Hold on, not watched the video, but you saying the HD Textures work fine even on 8GB cards?? If so then LOL :cry:

For a moment Grim had me believing I would need to download more VRAM again :p

Oh and look at that, my 3070 kicking the 2080Ti's butt with it's 8GB VRAM :D

Impossible isn't it!!!!!!!!

:D :D :D

Back
Top Bottom