Farrow and Ball paint

GeX

GeX

Soldato
Is it worth the cost? Looking at redoing our lounge and hallway. Interior designer told us that she really rates the paints, and they look different in differing lights; something lost when trying to mix the colour with other paints.
Spoken to two decorators who both said they don't really rate F&B paint, one said he'd use it if we insisted but the other said he'd prefer not to touch it at all (overpriced, and often needs more coats than the stuff they'd normally use).

Any opinions here?

Soldato
I've just thought about it too, few things:

Cost. A lot more than regular paint

My parents used it in their period house and it took quite a few coats to get the desired effect, it fits old houses well but you pay the price for it.

Depends on your home really, I'm in a Victorian terrace so thinking about it but might just stick with normal paint

GeX

GeX

Soldato
OP
It's an Edwardian semi, but we do have other period features (cast iron fireplace, plaster mouldings, etc). How many coats was a few?

Soldato
We have Craig & Rose paint - where F&B sit in b&q, C&R 1829 sit in Homebase.

Superb. In the right way..

5 years ago we redecorated the lounge after we’d moved in. With two 3-in1 basecoat layers and the three coats of C&R (rollered). With the corners being over decorators chaulk. We’d also painted the ceiling in Dulux.

The c&r colour had not faded or altered colour the Dulux had gone off brilliant white.

We have just redecorated - this time we have used c&r in the lounge and bedrooms. Again three 3-in-1 base coat layers for the new walls with back to the blockwork crack repairs. Then three layers of c&r. That means time to dry between coats.

Why three layers? Well we found it gives a better intensity - the paints have a very good pigment but are thin. The thinness means it gets absorbed into the basecoat quickly and dries fast with little smell. The paint goes on and then darkens as it dries over the next couple of hours.
The paints will show up any imperfections in the walls. So expect to spend time sanding or filling to get flat wall. The paint will not cover cracks.

The paint can mark with furniture against it or scraps from wood etc, and it’s not a good idea to remove marks with a wet sponge and rub at it for example. This puts it as non child abuse tolerant - the paint is chalk finish.

We repainted the lounge simply because we removed two old CH boxes and filled the plasterboard holes. So whilst the paints were out (no need for base coat on the non altered walls).

What we are left with is a beautiful looking wall. We have a feature wall and paler remaining walls:
Lounge: Osborne Maroon + Pale Mortlake
Bedroom: Porcaline Blue + Whiting
Bedroom: Fresco Blue + Whiting
Bedroom the be finished (has Whiting so far)

So the colours in the lounge (deep maroon and the rest a very very light mocha) are quite formal. The colour is punctuated by brilliant white skirting boards, coving. Door frames & doors with shutters everywhere being a shade of off white.
It should be noted we have a bright apple green couch in front of the maroon wall which goes perfectly with the colours.

The bedrooms are fun- the blues are vivid, the Porcaline blue being a tiny hint greeny whilst the fresco Blue is full on sky blue. With the slight off white Whiting. Again brilliant white coving, skirting and ceiling with the fresco blue but dulux rock salt (a darker blue white tint) ceiling with the Porcaline.
All the windows have dulux white gloss sills, brilliant white instep this reflects the maximum light into the room - the mortlake looks awesome and the light hitting the blues casts blue across the bedroom so the almost white walls go through tones of sun light and reflected blue light over the day.

So I suspect the painters think it’s costly in both paint and time todo, along with not being so child friendly and with colours that are loved or hates - yes but the results of that is what you want are good.

I oil paint for a hobby - the amount of pigment is like the top grade oil paints, almost pigment as paint rather than paint with pigment. So careful what that brush touches!

Last edited:
Tea Drinker
Don
Don't buy F&B don't buy any paint from homebase.

Take your interior designers advice and F&B paint codes to your local paint place and get them to mix it up. They will have the mix it's only white and a few drips of pigment.

I'd always use johnstones covaplus. It's more expensive but you use less.

Soldato
It doesn't get a great deal of love for some reason but we really rate Valspar premium from B&Q, can match up the colour and so far has been very hard wearing. Having 2 kids and a dog I think is a good test...hard wearing and wipeable.

walls look as good today as 3 years ago.

Soldato
Nope.

Go to brewers decorators shop and get them to mix Johnstones Covaplus in whatever Farrow and Ball colour tickles your fancy.
It won't be the same and definitely won't look the same once done as it is the pigments that make farrow and ball and give it the subtle colour changes with different lights that a mix will never match. Professionals hate it as it is harder to get a good finish and doesn't cover like a modern emulsion so they have to work harder do more costs etc and it separates the good from the average!

I speak as someone who painted over a colour match with the original farrow and ball as the colour match just didn't have the same finish.

Soldato
It won't be the same and definitely won't look the same once done as it is the pigments that make farrow and ball and give it the subtle colour changes with different lights that a mix will never match. Professionals hate it as it is harder to get a good finish and doesn't cover like a modern emulsion so they have to work harder do more costs etc and it separates the good from the average!

I speak as someone who painted over a colour match with the original farrow and ball as the colour match just didn't have the same finish.

Well I dunno about looking exactly the same if they were side by side but we chose colours from a F&B colour chart and then had them mixed in Covaplus and once I painted my rooms with them we were more than happy with the result.

People see our walls and go "oh that's a nice colour" and tend to not say "oh them pigments don't look as good in the light as Farrow and Ball"

Soldato
I'm looking at F&B colours for my new place and from initial testers, it looks like Johnstone's Flat Matt gets you pretty close to the Estate Emulsion, but there's still a difference.

Do F&B mix with RGB pigment or CMYK? A lot of their colours heavily lean towards Reds, Greens and Blue where some of the other ranges do not seem to be that strong. Especially for the neutral/grey tones.

Soldato
It doesn't get a great deal of love for some reason but we really rate Valspar premium from B&Q, can match up the colour and so far has been very hard wearing. Having 2 kids and a dog I think is a good test...hard wearing and wipeable.

walls look as good today as 3 years ago.

We painted our entire house with Valspar. After a few days the house started to stink of rotten egg and gas. Turns out it was a dodgy batch and we were one of thousands with the same problem.

We ended up having to repaint the entire house, after having to put several coats of a special sealing paint to cover up the Valspar paint. We received compensation to cover our costs but it was a nightmare! The whole house had just been freshly plastered as well. :(

Soldato
F&B is expensive and it’s harder to use than Valspar but you can’t beat the original thing.

We’ve a few walls valspar and a few walls F&B and I so much prefer the look under a warm light of F&B. Maybe it’s in the head?

Soldato
We’ve a few walls valspar and a few walls F&B and I so much prefer the look under a warm light of F&B. Maybe it’s in the head?
Depends on the colour and the finish of F&B you chose.

Mixing F&B colours using Covaplus doesn't really get close, the Johnstone's has a sheen % higher than F&B Estate or Modern.

Soldato
Well I dunno about looking exactly the same if they were side by side but we chose colours from a F&B colour chart and then had them mixed in Covaplus and once I painted my rooms with them we were more than happy with the result.

People see our walls and go "oh that's a nice colour" and tend to not say "oh them pigments don't look as good in the light as Farrow and Ball"
Repaint one wall the difference is massive. The colour match is still a nice colour but doesn't have the depth or finish. End of the day if you are happy you are happy but the real thing is another level!

Last edited:
Soldato
W
Repaint one wall the difference is massive. The colour match is still a nice but doesn't have the depth or finish. End of the day if you are happy you are happy but the real thing is another level!

In the future ill try it but I don't think I'll feel as passionately about F&B as you seemingly do haha

Looking at my dark blue living room wall. It's got the chalky texture we wanted and it's looked great for two years now. No idea what another level would look like xD

Soldato
W

In the future ill try it but I don't think I'll feel as passionately about F&B as you seemingly do haha

Looking at my dark blue living room wall. It's got the chalky texture we wanted and it's looked great for two years now. No idea what another level would look like xD
I thought it was hype until I tried!

Soldato
There's a voice that keeps on calling me.
If you have a fancy house and can afford to pay an expert decorator then F&B or even L&G do have some nice shades and finishes. But for the rest of us, Johnstones mixed to the desired shade is fantastic, easy to put on and get a good finish, and cheap enough to change every few years.

I wasted a decent chunk on F&B on my old victorian semi, unless the walls are perfect its doesnt really look that good, whereas the other decent brands are more forgiving.

Back
Top Bottom